CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 7:53 PM

Sarah ~ Another great squirrel painting.  His long tail catching the light is fabulous !Smile

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 9:54 PM

Jen, the grandpa's face has some nice shading and his hand is esp. good. I really like his smile and twinkle in his eye. The baby looks snuggly. The cat looks like he's intent, perhaps apprec. your art.

Sarah, I love the comp. you chose for your grey squirrel! Looks very natural. Squirrel looks...squirrely. 

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 945
Points 17,130
jcurry wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 10:43 PM

I tried to get a likeness, really I did. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. This is graphite on a cream color paper.

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 945
Points 17,130
jcurry wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 10:52 PM

Resized a little bigger.

Jan

C & C Welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,719
Points 44,795
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 11:38 PM

Sarah, Sammy, Karen, Claudia, Bonnie, Nealey, Kim,  Thanks for the encouraging words. I am glad you see something of your Dad in him Bonnie! Yes I probably should have used a darker pencil. With the furry pest around I have to work a little faster than I like but probably good practice. He is getting big and settling down which is good for my art!!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,719
Points 44,795
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 11:43 PM

Sarah, this is another good painting of the Grey Squirrel. Good to know the reds are still thriving. You have captured the plump agility of these amusing and pesky creatures and put him in his natural environment high up a tree. You are a really good observer of nature.

Jan, You are close well done this is not an easy gentleman to capture!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 7:27 AM

Jan, your sketch of my Dad and Ethan is not to far off. The facial features are quite good. I think the hair line is a little different. The shape of Ethan's head is right on. I'm glad you did this one and am very much enjoying it.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 726
Points 17,150
Hearadh wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 7:45 AM

A bird of a different feather!!

Bonnie this is a 'not quite bas-relief' artefact of an eagles head which my sister-in-law brought back from Canada many years ago now. The carver was Larry Joseph who is now dead (I think) but his son still carries on the tradition. I have the signed provenance...Squamish B.C. 1992 etc.. The carving is 5.5 x 3.5 inches and at it's thickest 3/8th of an inch. The wood I think is stained pine as it is so lightweight  but of course I may be wrong there.  It took me two hours to draw it and the same to paint it. Hope you like it. The painting is 6" x 9" approx.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 726
Points 17,150
Hearadh wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 7:54 AM

Hello Karen, Claudia, Bonnie, Nealey, Kim and Jen  thank you for all the kind comments.....I think it is because I draw with a brush that I seem to manage to make fur/feathers look fairly convincing.

NO thank you ClaudiaHuh? but thanks for offering! Black squirrels here too bot I haven't actually seen one yet.

Bonnie...yes I did use that technique but onto damp paper not dry as the Chinese would have done

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 726
Points 17,150
Hearadh wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 7:56 AM

Hello Jan..you did well, ref. photo quite small to see much more than you have managed to convey

Sarah

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100
AnnemiekNY wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 11:57 AM

You all have very nice work.

This is my first post here; I was inspired by the 2nd picture. I loved the colors and the light, which reminded me of winter mornings driving to work when the sun comes up. I tried to capture the colors, but changed quite a bit of the rest.

It was a good learning experience.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 11 Jan 2014 12:45 PM

Sarah, your watercolor landscape near the Canadian border is lovely. I like the way you’ve “suggested” shaped instead of painting details. You’re a plein air aficionado, so I wonder if you were outdoors when you painted it! Your painting of the red squirrel is one of my all-time favorites among your pieces – just beautiful. The fur and branches on your gray squirrel are beautifully detailed, too. Your painting of the family skating is also lovely. Every figure conveys motion and credibility, and it’s very clear who each person is focusing on. And, I love the angle you chose for the waxwing, as its markings are so pretty and distinctive. You are certainly being very productive!

Shelley, I love your digital painting of the sun coming through the snow and agree that it has an almost ink-like character. Please do let us know how your show goes, and congratulations!

Karen, your painting of the “other” tree is also lovely. The pale gold and blue colors are spot on. The melting colors and branches and berries in your waxwing painting are just beautiful, too.

Jen, this is a great sketch of your grandchildren walking their dog in the snow. With the long shadows, this will make a wonderful winter painting. Your pencil drawing of grandpa and grandson is wonderful, too, and I’m laughing at the look on your kitty’s face.

Bonnie, I’m very partial to vibrant colors and love your snowy scene with the red barn and dried grasses. It is funny that you were working on the back of the block, but the results are very appealing!

Jan, what a beautiful painting of the horses' legs in the snow! I love the colors you used and the way you delineated the edges of the horses' legs. And I love the edges and lit areas you created for the grandpa and great-grandson drawing. What a beautiful style you have.

Joyce, you chose one of the most striking photos – the bird of paradise – and created a lovely botanical. Very, very pretty with its strong colors, and I very much like the way you cropped it.

Claudia, what a beautiful colored pencil drawing of the three sparrows. The branches and feathers are lovely. It almost has a watercolor look, and the skies here frequently have blue openings in white cloudy skies, which is what your background reminds me of. Your first pen-and-ink of the three women skaters is lovely. Although I can see where your proportions may be a bit off, I love the way you contrast a saturated black and fine lines suggesting other parts of the portrait of the three women. The second pen-and-ink of the skaters is even more attractive – wow. And, your horses are beautiful …

Cristina, “Sunny Night” and “Passion” are both distinctively and wonderfully in your style. Such beautiful movement and texture.

Marsha, I love the colors and long shadows and action of your curling painting. One of my favorite mystery writers – Louise Penny – who is Canadian (appropriately!), has written about curling, so it is neat to see your interpretation.

Liz, so nice to see your Sharpie pen-and-ink drawing of the chickadee in the gnarled branches. The strong black-and-white contrast is very striking. I love your pencil drawing of grandpa and great grandson and think you did an excellent job anchoring the lamp. Here we are with a raft of Canadian winter pictures and there you are in Florida surrounded by French Canadians!

Susan, a beautiful painting of the bird of paradise in its tropical setting (lovely saturated colors), which I know is as far from where you live (in the heart of the polar vortex) as possible!

AnnemiekNY, this is a beautiful watercolor of the winter scene. The sky and dried grasses are so well portrayed – I remember seeing scenes like this when I lived in New York State. Welcome to our group! I look forward to seeing more of your lovely work.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 11 Jan 2014 12:47 PM

Sarah, I missed commenting on your Squamish wood-carving. This is so appropriate to the month's theme and I love the way you've suggested majestic pines in the background.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 12:49 PM

Jan, I like the expression on  the baby; it's all nicely done. What size is your orig.?

Sarah, that's very interesting to hear the background. Sounds like you studied it well and it shows - I can sense the wood chiseling.

AnnemiekNY, WELCOME! Great to see your ptg., which gives a cold wintry feeling, also peaceful scene. I esp. like the foreground tree. I hope you'll take time to fill out a profile (by sign in at top), and confirm what we are to call you (Anne?). It's also helpful to know size & media, though in this case I'm guessing it's watercolor. Hope to see more of your lovely work.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 945
Points 17,130
jcurry wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 12:57 PM

Kim, my original of "Grandpa and Baby" is 11x14.  Sorry I can't seem to keep up but I must say thank you all for your nice and encouraging comments. All of your work here is exceptional!

Jan

C & C Welcome

Page 15 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  13 14 15 16 17  Next >  ... Last » | RSS