CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,446
Points 23,280
Berkenstock wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 1:45 PM

Claudia I really like the way you use ink.  The only thing that bothered me was the feet especially the one on the left.

The horses do have the feel of the cave paintings.  I like how the front 2 are more defined and th others kind of fade out.  well done

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 6:21 PM

Liz, your expressiveness on your sketch is great and I esp. like grandpa's expression.

Sarah, the squirrel (exquisite!), is among my top favorites of yours. That list just keeps getting longer.

Claudia, I didn't think you needed to do another version of your b/w drwg., but since you have, I can see it was worth your effort. Super job! Love it. Your horse sketch is nice too - a bit more at the bottom by their feet would finish it up IMO. You've done well with the horses - not exactly an easy one.

Susan, very colorful and cheery - makes me want to be there...NOW (or starting a couple days ago when we had minus 14 F here).

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 505
Points 7,880
NealeyPea wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 7:44 PM

Liz ~ Very good drawing of the grandpa & baby.  You got a lot of nice details in.  Glad you added the couch!

Sarah ~ Lovely WC of the red squirrel.  Using Chinese brushes, do you mean bamboo w/ animal hair?  I have a few and they are nice.  I did Sumi e drawings a long time ago!

Claudia ~ Your wild horse study is interesting with good forms.  Your Hockey ladies are magnificent!!  You should be real pleased with this second drawing!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 505
Points 7,880
NealeyPea wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 7:54 PM

Susan ~ Your bird of paradise painting is nice & bright!  Is this pastels?  I like the composition you put together with the flower - wish I was there!

Nealey

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 9:55 PM

Susan, nice painting but I always love your stuff!!!!!!!! 

Also thanks to all who comments on my Bird of Paradise.  Everyone here does beautiful paintings/drawings that I just love each piece and I'm so happy to be part of this group. 

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 10:43 PM

Claudia, the second sketch of the ladies has much better proportions. It's great you can even see the buttons on the sweaters. Your horses are lovely running through the snow. I like the colours you used. They look good even if you didn't keep it as loose as you wanted.

Susan, love your bright and sunny bird of paradise. Looks like paradise in the background as well. The colour of the mountains are very nice with the flower in the foreground. I agree wish I was there.

Sarah, thank you for the information on the Chinese method of painting. It sounds very hard to do but what outstanding results you got with the squirrel.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 3:12 AM

I can't believe I am so far behind again. I thought I had replied to some!

Cristina. I really like your skater, you have great movement and form nice job. The trees look mystical and abstract and chilly.

Marsha, wonderful work on the curling, it all looks so icy and cold and I love the movement of the long shadows. great job on the figures too.

Claudia, The two ladies in the first one are a bit short but you got the pose of the third one and wonderful details. the second one PERFECT! I agree the horses look a bit like cave paintings but you have captured the movement.

Karen, nice work on the Waxwing. you have a nice sense of depth bringing the berries and branches forward. Good luck with the exhibit, always exciting even if you don't sell much these days.

Liz, Good for you trying and succeeding with this little drawing of the Chickadee. Glad somebody is having nice weather! Great job of Great Grandpa he is a real challenge for sure. I couldn't deal with the lamp so left it out.

Sarah, I love you colorful, fat, red squirrel. Great technique.  I haven't see one since I was a child on holiday at Bournemouth. The Chine always had some but they were being taken over by the grey squirrels even then.

Susan Rae ,Beautifully, colourfull and WARM looking painting of the Bird of Paradise. Love it!

Hope I have everyone forgive me if I have missed anyone.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 3:17 AM

Well tonight the furry one did not notice me until it was too late and I actually had a go at Great  Grandpa and baby. It is certainly a challenge and I don't have a likeness but close. It was fun to do.

in my sketch book, pencil

Yes I know he isn't in the challenge but that was when he realized I had been having fun without him!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 861
Points 19,480
Hearadh wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 6:48 AM

Hello Nealey.....yes the Chinese brushes are bamboo handled with diifferent types of animal hair depending on the brush size. I went on the course to find out how two/three separate colours could be combined in one stroke. Thanks for comment on the red squirrel..nearly missed it in my haste

Geri...they are less expensive than sables but then more are needed according to what is being painted. Do you use Chinese water colours? I don't anymore as they are a bit sticky to apply on our papers.

Jen..thanks for the comment on my red squirrel......as a family we went to Bournemouth for our summer holidays for years. Not such a pleasant place nowadays. The red squirrels are making a come-back especially up north.  

The drawing of the 'family' ...doesn't matter if you think you didn't capture a perfect true likeness ..you did manage to record the happiness and that is what matters most.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 861
Points 19,480
Hearadh wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 6:54 AM

Grey Squirrel with a touch of the red in it....red squirrels are making a come-back especially up in the North and in Scotland.

Different composition to the ref. photo...but when I do see one it is usually far up above in the trees. Original is 6.5 x 5 inches. Water colour. Not paper

on now to the next Challenge....when I can find the time !

Sarah

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 10 Jan 2014 9:42 AM

Susan, as usual, your bird of Paradise painting is nice and bright.  I like the tropical setting that you placed it in.  It's a very nice painting.

Jen, you captured the joy of grandpa with his new grandchild.  I like that you have drawn the baby as fully awake and enjoying the occasion.  Lovely drawing.

Your kitty is so cute.  You have to forgive his annoying habits.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 11:07 AM

Sarah another great squirrel.  The branches are fantastic and I love his bushy tail.  

Jen nice job on Grandaddy and baby.  You sure got the emotion.  Thank you for the nice comment on my waxwing.  By the way Shelley has the exhibit.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 11:22 AM

Sarah, Sam, Liz, Karen, Geri ( you're right feet look abit odd and tiny),Kim, Nealey, Bonnie, Jen, thank you for commenting on my skater ladies and the horses.

Susan, I also was reminded of Gaugin looking at your tropical setting, very nice!

Jen, I love how the light hits and the shading you used.

Sarah, very nice squirrel and the way it's centered in the branches, We have a lot of small black squirrels here, just if you want to continue the squirrel series

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 11:27 AM

Jen, you have captured Dad and great grandbaby's happy time. I know it is not an exact likeness but you have captured many of the different aspects of Dad's appearance. I think your biggest challenge is outmaneuvering your kitty. He certainly looks alert about missing something. Very cute and getting bigger.

Sarah, wonderful grey squirrel. You are so good at capturing the perfect stance of your subject to provide the viewer with all information needed to determine the nature of the animal/bird. Your squirrel looks frisky with his bushy tail that almost looks like it's moving and his stance looks like he is ready to jump away. Also his setting is great up in the tree branches.

Sarah, reading your post I notice that you mentioned applying two and three colours at the same time with the Chinese brushes. I wondered if that is that how you got the wonderful appearance with the red squirrel?

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 505
Points 7,880
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 7:47 PM

Jen, I'm glad your furry housemate let you do some drawring!  He is a fine looking kitty.  Your grandfather & baby is a fine drawing too. I might suggest pushing the dark tones a little more - your light on the head & shoulder would stand out more.

Nealey

Page 14 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS