CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 370
Points 8,105
Claudia S. wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 7:46 AM

Liz, very nice bird drawing, I especially like the details on the branches.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 8 Jan 2014 7:57 AM

Liz, your sketch of the chickadee is very nice.  The Sharpie makes for a strong and bold drawing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 945
Points 17,105
jcurry wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 9:36 AM

Jen, thanks for your nice comment. I use my iPad to take pictures of my work and then I upload from it. You don't need an app to upload. My problem was that I couldn't reduce the kb size so that the forum would accept my upload. Fortunately I did find an app to do that. Apple has neglected to fix this problem on their iPad 2. I could do so much more with my Windows laptop. Microsoft allows us users more free rein than Apple. Just saying!

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 945
Points 17,105
jcurry wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 9:51 AM

Claudia, I am just now seeing where you posted my horse picture for me. Thank you! I am very sure that the reason the forum wouldn't accept my upload was because of the kb size because after finding an app to reduce the size I had no trouble. Curious still is the fact that I could upload to the Gallery without resizing. "Ain't technology grand?" Haha!

Jan

C & C Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 10:12 AM

Liz, great little bird; nice contrast & texture. Smile

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 482
Points 7,240
karend84 wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 11:19 AM

Thank you Claudia, Cristina, Sarah, Sam, Kim, Bonnie, Liz and Shelley for your comments on the waxwing painting. 

Shelley thank you for the comments on my tree.  The histogram sounds really interesting.  Congratulations on your exhibit.  Best wishes for success.

Claudia I hope the waxwing isn't a bad omen.  I think it is a beautiful bird.

Sarah, thank you so much for contacting me.  I appreciate all the suggestions for working with oil.

Liz, so nice to see you pop in.  Nice work with the sharpie. 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 402
Points 6,135
NealeyPea wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 6:06 PM

Shelley !  Good for you that you signed up to exhibit for the disabled!  I hope you sell out!

Liz ~ Hope your winter is enjoyable down in FL - I'm a bit jealous!  You did nicely on your pen sketch of the chickadee (?) on the limb.  Very bold & a good composition too!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,499
Points 18,900
E.D. wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 10:04 PM

Well here is my try to draw Grandpa and Great Grandson. At first I started to post this and took pictures only to see Grandpa had nothing holding him up and the lamp was floating in mid air. LOL. I am finding out that I have time and room to at least draw. Bob bought me a table and when the weather down here settles down again I may be able to paint a little. I am in a travel park that has 60 families of Canadians that speak French and some English but I have made friends with a lot of them. I have one family on each side of me. And have given a painting to one of them one Christmas and they seem to really like it. Talking on the forum is like being at home, only I can take you all with me. More great pictures this month and that is inspiring.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,499
Points 18,900
E.D. wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 10:16 PM

Claudia your skaters are really good. It is hard to sketch with ink because it is unforgiving and you did really well. And to do three women is great.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Karen your waxwing bird is delightful. I love the colors.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 724
Points 17,095
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 6:30 AM

please ..what is a chickadee ...whatever it is it is very chirpy.

The family portrait is pleasing to the eye as well.

this is a very quick vignette of a RED squirrel painted in the Chinese manner, brushes and watercolours last year.  The normal watercolour greysquirrel will be arriving shortly!!!

Sarah

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 7:56 AM

Liz, the sketch of Dad and Ethan is lovely. They look so relaxed, and enjoying each others company. Dad looks pleased to be holding him which he was. Your fabrics look really good. The forum is a wonderful family with everyone having the same interest and very nice of your husband to set things up for you to be able to keep doing your art.

Sarah, nice red squirrel. I really like the look of the Chinese manner. The shape is perfect and the detail on his face is right on. He looks to be on the move which they are all the time. I'm glad you shared this different painting technique with us, it is very nice to get a chance to see it.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 370
Points 8,105
Claudia S. wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 9:37 AM

Liz, your family portrait is very well done. The facial features are just right!

Sarah, LOVE the squirrel, this is a beautiful piece of art!!!

The skater Ladies 2nd try.

Turned out better than the first, maybe I should draw 5 or 6 more;)

Then I started the horses, it was supposed to be a loose sketch, but like always I started drawing details. So much for loosening up

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 724
Points 17,095
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 9:42 AM

Hello Bonnie,

I went on a two day course to learn how to use the Chinese brushes correctly..the paper was extremely absorbent (a felt pad had to be placed underneath the paper)  so freehand drawing had to be done very quickly..

I used ordinary w/c paper at home for this squirrel (from a ref. photo). I use either Chinese brushes or sables for water colours as the points are so fine and I like drawing with them just as well now as with the riggers riggers.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 9 Jan 2014 9:44 AM

Liz, you captured Granddad's pleasure and smile and the peacefulness of the baby.  It's a very pleasing drawing.

Sarah,  the red squirrel looks super.  You used warm and cool colors on his fur which look great.  I like that you minimized the foliage and branch by simply suggesting it.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 724
Points 17,095
Hearadh wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 9:47 AM

Hello Claudia...much improved skaters...NO not five or six more.......take much longer over the first one.Wink

Horses looking good too.

Thanks for commenting on the squirrelSmile

Sarah

Page 12 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS