CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 459
Points 7,155
NealeyPea wrote
on 7 Jan 2014 7:04 PM

YAY Marsha, you did a curling painting for Bonnie!  Love the icy shadows on the pond.  You caught that winter feel perfectly!  So I guess you don't want to visit here with our -35 degree wind chill and experience it first hand!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 459
Points 7,155
NealeyPea wrote
on 7 Jan 2014 7:15 PM

Hi again Claudia!  Sorry I'm doing the postings one by one, I don't want to miss one single painting!  This is a great ink drawing of the 1910 women hockey players.  The contrasts are nice.  The legs are too short but I was so distracted by their fun period clothing, I didn't even catch it before someone mentioned it.  What a fun drawing!

Karen this is a good oil painting of the Bohemian Waxwing.  And your first bird painting ~ impressive.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 995
on 7 Jan 2014 7:20 PM

Nice selection, Bonnie. I can see quite a few more I would like to try something with, particularly after being inspired by what others have done with them. All the snow and cold in North America is really making me grateful for our mild weather. Normally I would complain about the wind and rain, but I don't think I'd get much sympathy these days from the other side of the pond. I do have some snow pictures from Germany and earlier years that I may eventually put up. By far the most interesting Winter pictures from here that I have, though, are some straight photographs that I took on this crazy day when it was totally white, but not a bit of snow, just very heavy frost. There was fog out as well, which created this very strange world of so little contrast that the photo before editing looked like they were black and white. 

Nice abstract, Alex. I can't really add anything except to say that I suspect the original looks better.  It looks a little red tinted, but I suspect that's in the photographing of it. I was going to ask what medium it was, but then I saw it was water colour pencil. I find it amazing you can get this kind of flowing effect with a pencil. 

Cute sketch, Judy, and so much detail. The baby looks very peaceful.

Sarah, I love the way you capture the snowy mountain and trees with such simplicity and limited colours. I find the wiggly motions suggesting the trees fascinating. It is always a learning experiences studying your paintings. The bird is fantastic. I love the half eaten berry. The whole thing is exquisite. There is just one small place that lets it down just a little, and that's the eye. But wow, the markings and everything, absolutely perfect. 

Catherine, your studies are also very interesting, and give me ideas about doing some kind of studies. Well, come to think of it, I do sort of. Some time I'll have to show my sketch camera shots from Venice. I do sometimes try to draw and find it an interesting challenge. It gives me a world of respect for people who can do it successfully, possibly even more than I have for people who can deal with horses.

Nice skating pictures, everyone. Skating is something far dearer to my heart than horses. I have always loved ice skating. I wanted lessons so badly when I was a little girl, but the rink was too far away for my mother to drive me, so I couldn't do it until I was old enough to make my own way. Then I took adult class lessons, and got to the point where I could do some spins and most of the single turn jumps. I haven't done it much recently, and am much much older now, so probably never will succeed in doing an axel. But I still always love the smoothness and magic of it. You've got me motivated to get back to it, and teach my husband. Sarah, I love the bright colours and on the people in comparison to the softer colours of the landscape.

Karen, your tree is lovely. I love the soft feel to it and the colours. When people here say they are having trouble with values, I can sort of see what they are talking about. From a photo editing perspective, I tend to want to download it and look at the histogram, but I don't have time right now. I would think it would be an interesting aid though. My guess that the histogram would show very little or no white. If it were digital, be curious to see what would happen if you slid the white point just a little bit to the left and the grey point a little to the right. So perhaps you need to do the analog equivalent, which I suppose would be to make the highlight little brighter keeping the mid tones about the same. It's a very small thing, though. For the most part, it is really lovely. It's just photo editing geeking, so to speak. Your bird is really nice too, especially for a first bird. I like the crinkling of one of the berries.

Jen, I like your sketch of the children. I find myself wondering what they are thinking. 

Bonnie, I like you brightly coloured snow scene. It looks better than any photograph.

Joyce, nice bird of paradise.

Jan, nice abstract out of the horses. You left out the edges the same way photographers do abstracts. Nice curves.

Claudia, lovely painting of the sparrows. I especially love that you have expressed something meaningful with it, so that it goes beyond technique. I once took care of two cats that kept me warm in bed like that. The only problem was that it was difficult to move. The pen and ink is perfect, too.

Christina, your paintings are really special. The skater one reminds me of when I was struggling to do something difficult. I knew a couple of people at the rink where I skated who skated in shows. One of them got kicked out when they found out she had lied about her height, because she didn't meet the minimum height qualification. But in some way she was glad to leave, because she said chorus skating was messing up her skating. She told about spending a lot of time dancing on the toe picks. I would have loved to have done it for a little while, though. 

Marsha, your curling pictures is definitely something different, and very nicely done. I especially like the shadows on the ice.

Thanks, everyone for your comments about my photoshop fooling around. I used accent edges with a dark setting and a little smoothness. Then I lightened and added saturation. Before that I had done a number of things with it on the iPad, including even some freehand painted in Photoviva. There was a bare tangle of branches, that I decided was uninteresting, so I added some snow to it. Marsha, I use a whole bunch of stuff, mostly on the iPad, where there is a vast collection that come in and out. Glaze and Artistaoil are a couple of my favourites for automated painterly effects. I mostly use Procreate for doing it manually. Photoviva is a fun one that is in between. You kind of push the colours that are already there around with it. Colorama does some wild effects, but I've never really gotten in control with it. The Blender is one of my favourites for blending two together, because it is much easier to control the mask than with Photoshop. On the desktop computer I have a new Photoshop plug in that I have been experimenting with called Snap Art. It attempts to simulate several different natural mediums, including oil paint, crayon, pastel, coloured pencil, all with a whole lot of sliders to play with, as well as the capability to change the sliders for just selected parts of the picture. And I do all the usual photographic adjustments as well, sometimes with Photoshop, and sometimes just with Snapseed on the iPad. There is no such things as a straight photograph really. Another app I have been experimenting with lately is one called Art Set, which has a very virtual reality aspect to it, complete with pictures of oil paint tubes and a pallet for mixing colours and various different coloured and textured papers with i think a real effect on the paints. The pastels on black paper is quite fun. There is even crumpled up paper to smear it will. 

I had some exciting news today. I've signed up for 2m of space for an exhibit in a charity shop for 6 weeks. They had space available quicker than I thought they would, so I'd better get going. It starts in 2 weeks.  It's a charity for helping people with learning disabilities. They have some extra space that they rent out to local artists, and really liked my stuff. (It's not a real high level there.) I had heard about it, and the £25 price seemed not a high risk. So I need to get going with some framing and writing and deciding, so I may be asking for some advice.

C&C Welcome

Shelley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 7 Jan 2014 8:27 PM

Karen, great waxwing with wonderful colors and berries.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 7 Jan 2014 8:50 PM

Marsha, love your play of shadows in your curling ptg..

Claudia, You've done very well, esp. with unforgiving ink. Agree the background is just right. I see you realized about the proportions - good eye. For me, I sometimes don't notice until it's actually posted online, and then things pop up. Larger heads could possibly be justified to emphasize their character that is seen in their faces...I like it as it is. I esp. like the far right gal's head/figure  - more interesting than in the photo, though I think it was harder to do since you gave her hair vs. the hat. I would have found stripes nearly impossible, so my hat's off to you. Your choices for shading and amt. of contrast is well done so it's a very striking drwg.. SO glad you happened to have a pen fall into your hand today!

Karen, THANKS for your thoughtfulness & the compliment.
Karen, your waxwing is lovely - your 1st bird? Oh my. Your branches are exquisitely done with all the subtle color chgs..
Shelley, I'm thrilled for you! Thanks for sharing your good news! Looking fwd. to hearing more later. It would make a good Chatter thread topic too.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,746
Points 21,745
E.D. wrote
on 7 Jan 2014 8:57 PM

Hi fellow artist. I have been viewing all of you wonderful work. Bonnie the pictures this month are wonderful. The blend of cold and warm is a great idea. All the work done this month is excellent and I got inspired to do a little something quick. A little sketch with a sharpie pen. Hopefully a little more later.       Judy's drawing of Bonnies dad  and his great grandson is so expressive.

Alex's watercolor of snow and berries is so free and relaxed.

Bonnie your inky watercolor is so colorful and wonderful to look at.

Sarah great watercolor love the flow of the land leading into the white mountains.

Shelly your abstract brought me to attention very vibrant.

Karen you know how I feel about you winter tree it is great with colors reflection on it.

Sarah the kids skating is sure to make us know it is winter, adding all the color really makes the picture.

Cristina you always see with young eye's. Beyond what I ever see. Great paintings.

If I missed anyone I know I have been looking and can't say enough how enjoyable they all are.

Happy painting to you all and know I am looking.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 7 Jan 2014 9:47 PM

Claudia, your ink work is so very good. I can't believe you got all those strips without mixing them up. I especially like the one on the right. Their outfits really look like fabric. I don't think the legs are to short, if you measure them they seem to be the right length. I think it might just appear like that because of the short wide pants. Lovely work.

Karen, your waxwing is wonderful. You have certainly captured his smooth texture and flipped up wing. I especially like the little apples in front. Great job for your first bird.

Liz, so glad to see you drop in. A nice sketch of the chickadee. He is so cute. You did a very good job of the shading on the branches as well. Good work with the sharpie pen.

Thank you Shelley and Liz for your comments on my painting.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,103
Points 78,115
on 7 Jan 2014 10:13 PM

Liz, glad to see your lovely drawing, your chickadee is so sweet and beautifully done, you did a great job with the sharpie pen.

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,103
Points 78,115
on 7 Jan 2014 10:17 PM

Shelley thank you so much for the wonderful words regarding my paintings.

Thank you for sharing the super good news with us, this is awesome, good luck!

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,103
Points 78,115
on 7 Jan 2014 10:19 PM

Thank you Sarah for the beautiful comments, I appreciate it!

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,103
Points 78,115
on 7 Jan 2014 10:22 PM

Nealey I appreciate so much your so lovely remarks, many thanks!

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,103
Points 78,115
on 7 Jan 2014 10:25 PM

Thank you dear Liz for so beautiful comments!

Cristina

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 2:01 AM

Thank you, Sarah, Geri, Karen, Cristina, Nealey, Shelley, Kim Bonnie , for your encouragement and constructive critics, it's highly appreciated. I agree with Sarah on the wings on the middle bird. Most of the time I spot the things after they're posted, doesn't mean I know how to fix them. See if I can work a little on the bird.

The Ink might be difficult to fix, but I might go for it again. It was fun to do.

Karen your painting of the waxwing is lovely You used the colors beautifully and I love the branches and the berries.

Funny, today we had an article about the waxwing in the paper. A bird we don't see here often. The paper said, if the bird was seen often in the Middle Ages, they were a bad omen.

Shelley, interesting to hear about the use of different programs, settings and utensils. Congrats on your little exhibit.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 826
Points 18,900
Hearadh wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 2:50 AM

Hello Shelley,

Thanks for your comments on my efforts;

the detail of the eye on the bird is difficult to see on the monitor but it is correct on the original.

Good news about exhibiting, hope all goes well for you.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 8 Jan 2014 7:42 AM

Shelley, great news about your exhibit. You will be busy getting ready for it and I'm sure your work will look wonderful. It is for such a good cause as well.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Page 11 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS