CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,008
Points 21,765
Hearadh wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 7:03 AM

to save carbon footprints I hope no one will mind if I comment in one instead of many emails.

Alex,,,,I thought it was quite sophisticated and Chinese in style (I read later that someone else thought Japanese) oriental in feeling anyway!!!

Judy...agree with other comments expressed...make it a vignette and leave well alone.

Cathy...as Alex commented, the horse is a remarkable animal...have seen those in the Lascaux caves and the haste which they were drawn is evident...drips of pigment and so on. At least you aren't in a cave!!!

Shelley...felt your Photoshop image was interesting...foamy and hard edged at the same time.

Karen.....thought at first it was a pastel!  Oils...the colours/values are no different to any other paint  medium...it is the over use of white/ or black which dulls areas...not in the depiction of snow I hasten to add. Yellows always bring a subject forward so I think you maybe needed to create a little bit of space behind the tree by strengthening the sky. Use some purple glaze next time.

Jen.....looking forward to seeing the painting of the children .....are you working from a 'photo?...I ask because the road looks as if it is uphill,  which is difficult to convey (remember the Easter little girl with the eggs in a basket? ref. photo. It took me ages to sort that out.

Bonnie...very bright and cheerful...hope to see your next version of it soon...weather permitting!!!

Jan.......horses in the snow, implied soft but thick coats ...especially liked the scene from the shoulders downwards

Hope I haven't left anyone out or been too harsh...

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 8:15 AM

Just to clarify to everyone ....I had one blank Christmas card from last year's Challenge card exchange and Sarah emailed me very early in December asking if I'd like to exchange cards with her. I told her I'd be happy to send the one left from last year and that is why she got a Christmas card from me and no one else did. Please don't feel slighted. I promise to make it up to everyone this coming Christmas exchange.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 9:07 AM

Today is a snow day for me so I plan to get upto date with everyone.

Sarah- I don't think I cc on your mountain painting.  I grew up out west in the Rocky Mountains and the painting has made me very homesick that is how good it is.  Nice job.

Bonnie- your waxing painting is nice.  I'm not sure what is waxing but everything came together and it turned out nice.  I like the scrubs, your sky and the bird is sweet.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 9:22 AM

Back with my second set of comments. 

Jen- your sketch of the children will turn out a wonderful painting like always you do a good job with all yours.

Jan- the horse painting look like Wild Horses from Nevada Good Painting

Bonnie- love your tree, you did it well using ink.

Sarah- nice bird painting I need to find out what waxing is maybe it is something I may try somewhere down the line.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 9:41 AM

last post for today

Here is my Bird of Paradise- 8x12 using oils.  Sorry I didn't crop  but new program and I just don't know how to do it yet. Enjoy Joyce  Just read all the kind comments on my Bird of Paradise as I didn't find anyone comments saying I should add of do anything other than watch how I cropped.  Here is the painting cropped,    

what do you think should I crop more?  Joyce

Joyce

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,159
Points 23,280
jcurry wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 9:49 AM

Yay, I finally found an app to resize my picture!! Now I have to deal with app crashing. In case some of you don't know, I have been having trouble uploading due to size of pic. iPad does not have a way to resize or even a way to find out what size the original is. My next purchase(distant future) will be a Microsoft multi use tablet or laptop. My iPad was a gift from my daughter and even though I love it, there are things that I just can't do with it. 

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 6 Jan 2014 10:34 AM

Joyce, the bird is a Waxwing.  There are several varieties of Waxwings and the one that Bonnie posted is a Bohemian Waxwing.  We see Cedar Waxwings here in Florida at certain times of the year.

You painted a different type of bird which is very lovely.  The colors are beautiful and the flower is well drawn.  Be careful when you crop it that the stem doesn't go out at the corner.

Jan, what an interesting crop of the horses.  You know how to zero in on the part you want to focus on.  You used good colors on those horses.  I like how the snow is being kicked up by their hooves creating a misty appearance.  Very interesting and appealing painting.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,578
Points 25,335
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 10:45 AM

Jan I like your horse painting.  At first glanc it seems to be an abstract and then you look again and its horses.  The overall blue gray color goes well too.  Good job.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,008
Points 21,765
Hearadh wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 10:57 AM

Hello Joyce....in your second posting you realised it was a bird so thanks for your kind comment.

There are many waxwings and mine is the one that visits occasionally in my part of the country

Your unfeathered 'bird' is very pretty.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,008
Points 21,765
Hearadh wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 11:00 AM

Thanks again to all who have commented on the Waxwing..very much appreciated.

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 702
Points 11,470
karend84 wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 11:40 AM

Thank you Bonnie, Nealy, Sam, Jen, Sarah, and Judy for your comments on the tree.  I appreciate all the suggestions.  I haven't decided if I will go back to it and use your suggestions.  I may just leave it and learn for the next painting.  

Jen, I love your sketch of the children walking the dog.  I hope you paint this.  I can see the children patiently waiting while the puppy sniffs the snow.  

Bonnie, your landscape is beautiful.  I love the shadows and the wonderful sun glow on the tree.

Sarah, another fantastic painting.  Your waxwing is so well done.  He looks so determined with his berry.

Joyce, Very pretty bird of paradise.

Jan, I really like the way you cropped the horses.  The fluffy snow kicked up by the hooves is wonderful.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 11:43 AM

Bonnie,

Thanks for all your work in getting this diverse photo group posted. Wish I had time to paint the previous months, but since I hope to get back into it soon, I'll start here. Hope you and everyone had a wonderful holiday season! 

Alex - lovely snow ptg. - very soft...reminds me of an Asian style, which is good in my mind. (Guess others thought that too - great minds think alike!)

Judy - You did a great job on your pencil drwg., and I esp.like how the wrinkles (on the man) look lifelike with the right amt. of contrast.

Catherine, I too enjoyed seeing the progress of your horses. I love seeing WIP to learn from, as well as your insights.

Sarah - nice crisp colors & shapes to give the effect of cold in your snowy ptg.. Your softer look in the skating ptg. also works well - love the cheeriness and that you captured their action so well. The bird ptg. is gorgeous - I can feel those feathers.

Shelley - Your play time was well used; the snow scene turned out well. I can see this as abstract but also as suggesting more realism with fantasy, as if for a book illustration. (I wrote this and then found your comment about Lord of the Rings...guess we had a similar thought.)

Karen, your warm glowing yellows work so well in your tree ptg.. The snow-laden branch looks so real. Great job.

Jen, good to see your work again. The sketch looks like you got their stance/positions just right. Good job!

Bonnie - your tree in the snow looks like it's something diff. for you, which you described. It's great you are trying new things and this one paid off. Nice bright colors. Hope to see more.

Jan - Lovely softness to your horse ptg.! The composition is so interesting and the blowing - kicked up snow is uncanny.

Joyce, your flower looks very striking. Nice tonal variations too. :)

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,159
Points 23,280
jcurry wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 11:48 AM

Thank you, Joyce!

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,159
Points 23,280
jcurry wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 11:55 AM

Thank you, Sam!

Jan

C & C Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,159
Points 23,280
jcurry wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 12:02 PM

Geri, maybe I should have called it an abstract.😉 just happy I was finally able to upload. Thank you for you kind comment.

Jan

C & C Welcome

Page 7 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS