CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,010
NealeyPea wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 11:22 AM

Jen ~ Your sketch of the children walking the dog is a good composition.  I hope you paint this one!  I like how the boy is placed closer to the girl.  The combined shadows will be interesting.  Funny, my personal daily drawing yesterday was almost the same!  I did my father walking their 2 dogs across a footbridge!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 21,720
Hearadh wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 11:49 AM

Been painting until the rain began again. This is my  version of the Waxwing...rare visitor here now (like many others which used to be common winter visitors).

I have taken a slightly different viewpoint to make the most of the bird's markings. Winter scrubland instead of  branches. watercolour on heavy Bockingford paper. Original is 7" x 6.5"

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 21,720
Hearadh wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 11:50 AM

sorry haven't time to comment on other Challenges, hope to be able to do so tomorrow.

Sarah

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 5 Jan 2014 12:12 PM

Bonnie, the tree in your winter scene is very well shaped with great branches and nice texturing on the trunk.  I like the distant trees and red building.  The shadows on the snow are bright and make a strong statement.

I also had a laugh at you using the back of the paper pad although you probably didn't think it was funny at the time of discovery.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,574
Points 25,285
Berkenstock wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 12:55 PM

Sarah your waxwing is very pretty.  It is one of my favorite birds too even though  you don't see them too often and when you do they seem to always in the bushes eating berries too.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,957
Points 49,625
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 2:23 PM

Bonnie, I love all the bright colours in this painting. It is lively with lots of movement. I had to laugh about the end block as I have done that too. It is not easy separating papers and I always feel cheated by that big block at the end.

thank you all for the kind words on my very quick sketch. I hope I can make a good painting out of it. I may put the reference on Photoshop and push the colours and see what develops. 

Karen, sorry I missed your question but I get so far behind I skim through to find the new paintings. I am not an expert but here are some thoughts. As far as sky colour that is the artists choice. Use whatever you need to get the effect you want. Many snow photos show pale skies with snow but there are days when the sun is out and the sky is a brilliant blue. With oils it is best to use a thinner paint for the sky especially if you are going to put texture over the top. A general rule is that sky holes the blue of the sky that you see through branches is slightly darker that the surrounding sky.  Snow generally  picks up the colours around it and the warmer colours of yellows, reds purples are in the foreground shadows and fade to pale blue as you get further away. Anyway hope this helps. As I said I am no expert.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,957
Points 49,625
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 2:30 PM

Sarah, this is a beautiful painting of the Waxwing. You certainly know your birds. These grey Winter days are not the most inspiring to paint in and the daylight fades fast. Hope you get some sunshine and kinder weather soon.

I am so glad I am not in Chicago this week. Stay warm and safe all of you freezing your behinds off in the North. Maybe we should all head for Australia!!! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 5:14 PM

Sarah, great waxwing. You got the colour under his tail just right, it is such a distinctive feature. He's also  ripping apart the berries just as they do. You have a good knowledge of them and must have studied them. It is wonderful to see him painted.

Jan has posted a painting she did from the challenge in the gallery. She is still having trouble posting in the forum. I would think it was the size of the picture that was causing problems but that should not work in the gallery either. Everyone should check it out it is a lovely painting.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 5:21 PM

Thank you Nealey, Sam and Jen for your comments, I may try this again using some regular watercolour.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,010
NealeyPea wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 7:02 PM

Sarah ~ When I first perused the Jan. photos that Bonnie posted, I thought to myself, "Here's one right up Sarah's alley."  Of course I was thinking of the Waxwing!  Your  watercolor version is beautiful  and I like how you changed the composition to suit you.  His markings are great!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 8:33 PM

Nealy, Claudia & Joyce - Thank you for your comments on my drawing of grandpa, they are appreciated.

Catherine - I truly enjoyed your wonderful post about how we see the subjects we paint - The layout on your worktable was instructive in itself....I am one who constantly struggles with this creative aspect - or at least getting on paper what I see in my mind! 

Sarah - Your landscape painting is very nice.  I really enjoyed the painting of the children skating - beautifully done!  It made me smile & feel like I was enjoying myself with them.

Karen  Your tree is well shaped & it's branches well laden with snow.  My medium of choice is oil paint, but I've never painted a winter scene!   However, it seems to me that I definitely would use white & since snow is so light it would lightly reflect the colors around it.  I guess I'm going to have to try it myself to see if I am right!  lol

Jen - The sketch of your grandchildren looks very promising for a wonderful painting.

Bonnie - You acrylic/wc tree looks very nice - you did achieve the vibrant colors that work nicely together.  I like the texture & shapes of the branches on your tree.

Sarah - Your Waxwing is very beautiful - I liked your scrub-brush background & your winter sky.

Judy   C&C appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 3:26 AM

Hello Jan, I always had trouble posting in the beginning, various reasons. Never could figure out why. I didn't downsize it, so I don't think this is the problem. You should ask for help with other I Pad users.

I thought I try to help and upload your painting. I hope you don't mind.

This is JANs  painting, Not mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C&C always welcome

Claudia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 5:55 AM

Sarah, beautiful WC composition of the Waxwing,

Jan, i like the detail you picked , it realy shows the horses thick wintercoat.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 21,720
Hearadh wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 6:14 AM

Before I begin c/cing I would like to thank all the friends who sent me exchange cards...all  arrived safely...some a little damp ,not surprising with all the wet, stormy weather we have been experiencing and still are.SO thank you again:(not in any order of arrival or preference!!! to

Geri, Cathy, Marsha, Nealey, Claudia, Kim, Bonnie, Jen, Joyce, Karen, Alex and Cristina (Cristina's has become  a New Year Card which has been held up due to the weather.

I have posted this here because it may  be missed in the Chatter!!!!!

Sarah

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 6 Jan 2014 6:29 AM

I posted these in chatter, but was told that they would be fine here.

So again:

The first one I did in 1984, I was 14 years old. I believe it was a step by step WC tutorial

The second one I believe was a tutorial in the artist magazine a couple years ago. I stayed away from WC for a while now, because I can never get the results I want.and got realy frustated with it.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Page 6 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS