CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 612
Points 9,650
karend84 wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 8:36 PM

Thank you Bonnie, Nealy and Sam.  Sam this is oil on 8x10 canvas.  I'm not really happy with the tree.  I couldn't get the snowy branches without using white.  I think I started with to light a value on the sky.  Anyone have suggestions?

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 4 Jan 2014 8:40 PM

Karen, it has been many years since I've worked with oil.  I would think that one would have to use white for snow with tints of blue, violet, pink, yellow, etc.  Let's wait until the oil painters weight in.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,820
Points 46,900
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 9:23 PM

Catherine, These are great sketches of the horses. Well done doing such studies it will pay off when you come to paint them. you already have a good feel for them.

Sarah, good to see you back and the two snowy paintings so different  but your usual great quality. I really like the movement of the children skating.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,820
Points 46,900
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 9:30 PM

Shelly, what an interesting effect you came up with in Photoshop. it is quite and expressive abstract now but I bet the painting was interesting too and certainly gives the impression of snow and shadows.

Karin, your snowy trees are beautiful and the colours you have brought in make such an interesting painting.

I finally made it up to the studio today. there were only two of us and we did more talking than painting but I finally managed this quick sketch of my grandchildren walking their dog in the snow. it is full of long colourful shadows so I hope to make a colours version. the boy is a bit too close to his sister but I can adjust that next time.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 12:05 AM

Alex..........I love this painting, just love this!   Asusanrae

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 12:12 AM

Judy your painting of granddaddy and baby was good, the face of the grandpa was really nice.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 12:15 AM

Catherine, your horse drawings are good, I used to love riding haven't done that for many many years.  anyway the drawing took me back to childhood so thanks.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 12:17 AM

Sarah what a beautiful landscape painting

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 12:20 AM

Your skating painting could be Canadian for sure well done seems everyone around me skates but me never been on them.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 12:23 AM

Lord of the Rings mmmmmmm I like it looks like snow with the sun on it to me.  Very good.

Karen your tree is cute and looks good it if is just a practice so be it but this would be my best tree ever,  looks good to me I like the background and all the yellow in it.

Joyce

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Jan 2014 1:49 AM

Jen, your quick study of the children in the snow looks promising for a painting.  Lots of colorful shadows would make for a pretty painting. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 375
Points 8,175
Claudia S. wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 2:50 AM

Sarah, your skating kids are marvellous. The movement and colours, very nice!!!

Shelly, Interesting colors and textures. What filter did you use?

Karen, your tree looks very nice to me. I like the colors. I have never worked with oil, but would be nice to hear from the oil painting experts in this group.A liitle oil tutorial, maybe? I 'll get my oil paints out aswell (they're probably dried in)

Jen, very nice quick sketch, I agree, this would make a pretty painting.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 6:02 AM

Good morning everyone! ;) This weather front moving in woke me up at a little after 3 a.m. so I made coffee and worked on the little wild horse sketch some more. It's now 5:50 a.m. and I'm in between my morning rx and my daily Tylenol so I had to quit working and now I'm playing catch up with all of you.

Sarah, Shelley, Karen your paintings are super! Winter can be very beautiful when you look at it from the eyes of an artist!

Jen I love your sketch of the two children and the dog! Simple but perfectly set onto paper!

Stay warm everyone! We are due to have rain then sleet then snow then wind chills between -20 to -40 degrees so I figure I'm going to be having a little free art time the next few days lol. I think later today I'll do a watercolor to relax as working on getting the ponies just right has been well....it's been WORK! I need a break. lol

Geri your cartoon is funny as h*ll!! That is exactly what we are all expecting to happen here in Ohio by Monday morning. lol

Let's all think positive, send positive juju, pray, sacrifice small farm animals (just kidding) or whatever it is we do to appease the Gods as if this weather knocks out people's power there will be lives in serious jeopardy.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 7:05 AM

Jen, your grandchildren in the snow sketch is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see this develop. It's great to hear that you are getting back to the studio.

I have made an attempt to do a painting somewhat like Janet Nunn in the Watercolour Artist. Janet had such vibrant colour and noted that she used Dr. Ph. Martins Hydeus fine art liquid watercolors. I have not heard of these but did have three bottles of liquid acrylic ink in the three primary colours so made an attempt with them. I also used regular WC, it is 12 x16 and was to be on arches paper however, as I worked realized that the paper had been used up from the block and I was working on the heavy part at the back of the block. LOL  It was not forgiving of anything and you could not change things or the paper roughed up.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 7,135
NealeyPea wrote
on 5 Jan 2014 9:49 AM

Karen ~ Like Sam, I haven't worked with oils in awhile (since acrylics became popular LOL) but whatever medium you use, the contrast  is important, so if you have to use more white, do so!  Your thoughts on trying a darker sky value is a good idea.  I'll let the experts chime in also.

Bonnie your use of the back board of your WC pad made me laugh so hard!  Sounds like something I'd do.  I just got my first EVER WC paper in block form & am excited to try it out!  Your winter watercolor is so nice - using the ink form was a success, I think!  Such bright colors.  The tree branches are formed well too.

Just wanted to mention that Bonnie's Challenge states ANYTHING WINTER.  I see that some are worried their work isn't "Canadian" and I don't think that was a stipulation.  So, NO WORRIES!!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Page 5 of 34 (497 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS