CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 10:08 AM

Catherine, your study of the horses is great.  Thanks for sharing

Sarah, very nice watercolor landscape.  Nice texture of the mountains and tree line.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 10:59 AM

Sarah, this is perfect, it looks just like where my step daughter lives in BC, in the mountains. Your shading shows how rugged the mountains are and I like how the snow is in and around the evergreens. And the valley spreads out below in it's many colours. Lovely.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 8,325
Claudia S. wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 3:46 PM

Sarah, what a beautiful mountain scene. I agree it looks like BC.

Catherine, Great horse studies. I'm always so impatient to do studies. But, Sam is right studies pay of.

Judy, what a wonderful portrait and ready to post on the 2nd of january, very impressiv.

C&C always welcome

Claudia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 648
Points 10,410
NealeyPea wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 6:50 PM

Catherine ~ Thanx for sharing your sketches of the wild horses.  They are coming along nicely  - horses are hard to depict!

Sarah ~ Another lovely WC from a Master Watercolorist!  The trees are magnificent!  Your landscape says so much with so few brushstrokes.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,045
Points 22,370
Hearadh wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 4:40 AM

Thank you for the comments on the landscape.....I'm sure it is just on the border (give or take a few hundred miles! ) of Canada/USA. I didn't want to post another Scottish scene.

Not up to Olympic standard Bonnie.....watercolour on HP paper.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 8:09 AM

Sarah, this is wonderful. The background looks exactly like our limestone bluffs. The children are so colourful and cheery having a great time on the outside skating rink. Your figures are always so well done, their different positions perfectly depict a fun skating scene. I learned to skate on a backyard rink my Dad used to make and sometimes we hiked down to a frozen pond  and your painting brings back so many good memories. The neighbouring children would come and we all had such fun.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,045
Points 22,370
Hearadh wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 9:48 AM

So glad it pleased you Bonnie and brought back good memories. All were imaginary figs!

Taking a break from painting my next 'Challenge'...the light is so bad here and as I only paint by daylight  I don't think I will be able to do any more today.

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 12:15 PM

Sarha I forgot to comment on your last post  I am not too much for landscapes but found that one very pleasing.  It reminded me of a scene from Heidi.  Your skaters are well done also.  The figures are all very well prepotioned and show a lot of movement.  Well done

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,045
Points 22,370
Hearadh wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 3:11 PM

Thank you Geri.....I prefer most subjects to landscapes. Figures I find fairly easy as I have drawn them from a very young age and attended  many life drawing courses. Studied anatomy for artists too..We may all have the same basic skeleton but it is what we cover it with which matters..!!!!!!!

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 3:42 PM

Sarah you can see all your studies come through in your work.  Fantastic.  Your skaters have so much movement and character.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 980
on 4 Jan 2014 3:48 PM

I had a go at the sun coming through the snow. I wasn't feeling good any of my results, but then I was playing with Photoshop filters while waiting for a download and came up with this.

It looks like something out of Lord of the Rings.

C&C Welcome

Shelley

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 717
Points 11,745
karend84 wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 4:04 PM

Shelley very nice picture of the tree.  The sunlight looks so warm and inviting.  This is my aattempt at the other tree.  I am off on the values but great practice.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 5:38 PM

Shelley, your digital piece of the sun shining through the branches has a real mystery to it. All the different colour areas outlined in dark gives it the appearance of being done in ink.

Karen, great work on the snow laden maple tree. You captured the dapple shading on the branches very well and the colour of the snow on the branches with the sunlight up high in the tree and the shadows lower. Very nice.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 648
Points 10,410
NealeyPea wrote
on 4 Jan 2014 6:06 PM

Sarah Shelley & Karen ~ All three are great winter scenes and each has its own style.  I like them all.Star

Good to see everyone is keeping busy with their art, whichever medium they choose!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 4 Jan 2014 8:27 PM

Shelley, what a fine abstract of the sun and snow on the trees.  Great textures and patterns.  Nice mix of cool and warm colors.

Karen, your snow covered tree is looking good.  You captured the essence of the tree with beautiful colors.  It looks like this may be done with pastels.  Is it?  What size is it? 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 34 (496 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS