CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 496 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 824
Points 18,860
Hearadh wrote
on 2 Jan 2014 8:18 AM

Hello Bonnie, thanks for all the ref'. photos, interesting selection you have given us..

Page two already and two  works.

We haven't had any snow yet but plenty of floods and gales (more tomorrow) difficult to concentrate during storms.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,089
Points 78,045
on 2 Jan 2014 8:40 AM

Bonnie,what a wonderful photos selection for the January challenge! So inspiring!

Happy painting to everyone!

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,089
Points 78,045
on 2 Jan 2014 8:45 AM

What a lovely scene Alex,love the abstract feeling and the use of colors,just beautiful!

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,089
Points 78,045
on 2 Jan 2014 8:49 AM

Oh Judy, you did such a lovely work, love their expression, I know Bonnie will love this!

Cristina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 2 Jan 2014 9:04 AM

Thanks, Cristina and Catherine. My snow study is about 2" x 5" on a piece of Arches rough that I was testing (lovely paper!).

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 2 Jan 2014 1:34 PM

Alex - I agree with Sam - your nicely shadowed snowy branches look good against the clear blue sky - the color blue you used is also good for winter.  -  Grandpa's drawing was done from a great reference photo!  Thank You for commenting on it.

Sam  - My participation may be spotty, as life is still quite challenging - but I've decided that I can always carry paper & pencil with me wherever I am!  I am so very glad you are doing better....Thank You for your comments on Grandpa - It was his delightful expression that drew me to the photo.

Bonnie - I enjoyed drawing your grandpa - he looks so happy & kind - Thank You for providing such a personal & wonderful pic!

Geri, Jen, Catherine & Cristina - Your Right! - I should fad-out the edges on the drawing, but now I'm eyeing that rascally squirrel - My grandfather told me that the squirrel was our family's totem - we must be food nut hoarders! lol - Thank You for all you wonderful comments!

Judy   C&C appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Jan 2014 5:52 PM

Sarah and Cristina, thank you for your comments about the reference photos. Sarah, I am glad to hear you have not had snow yet. The flooding would be enough to deal with. We are in a deep freeze and it is really cold.

Judy, thank you for your comments on my Dad. You are right, he is happy and kind, and always ready to lend a hand. I'm so pleased with the portrait you did of him. Looking forward to seeing your squirrel. I love watching them, they are always very busy.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 456
Points 7,095
NealeyPea wrote
on 2 Jan 2014 9:06 PM

Hi Judy ~ I'm enjoying looking at your graphite drawing of Grandpa and Grandbaby.  Your values and attention to detail are perceptive, expecially his printed shirt.  Nice!  I hope you have time to do & post more art here.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Jan 2014 11:34 PM

I feel badly,  I have posted several postings and they are not showing up. 

I posted that I loved all of the photos and you dpn't have to many, because we have many new folks and there is something for everyone.   They are all great photos and so inspiring...  Its nice to get to know Canada....   Great Job Bonnie

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 6:34 AM

Was up early at 4 a.m., as usual lol, and started again on the horses. I had an "aha" moment a little bit ago in realizing it's not about the horses in the photo it's about how I SEE THE HORSES in the photo! What it is about them that holds my attention, what I'm being drawn to. etc. I know, I know, all you seasoned artists are thinking "yeah, well tell me something I didn't already know" but I am finally, after two years, starting to get it! Anyway, here is a photo I just took of the last few days of horse adventures on paper. We'll see where it goes from here.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 3 Jan 2014 6:53 AM

Catherine, what a wonderful glimpse of this art on your work table! Your drawing reminds me of the cave paintings in Lascaux. It is so easy to understand why artists across the aeons have been captivated by these noble animals.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 7:18 AM

Catherine, it's great to see your work developing. I like hearing your thoughts about approaching the piece and art in general. You are really starting to get the feel for the horses.

Marsha, glad to see you got your posting problems fixed. Thank you for your comments on the photos. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 3 Jan 2014 7:23 AM

Catherine, you are so good at working to get to know your subject well.  All your practice will surely pay off.  Your horses are starting to look real good.  Haven't you given up on "Breakfast in Bed?"

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 824
Points 18,860
Hearadh wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 8:07 AM

Hello Bonnie,

this is a painting I made about two years ago...I know it is near the Canadian border but can't remember where. I just hope it is near enough to qualify for your theme! Original painting is 7.5 x 6" on HP. W/Col.

Hope to paint this weekend. Weather permitting.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Jan 2014 9:37 AM

Sarah what a beautiful landscape! The mountain just looms over the little valley.

Sam I'm not doing anymore work on the Breakfast in Bed. I'll  probably do another sketch of it at some point though.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Page 3 of 34 (497 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS