CHALLENGE # 39 JANUARY 2014

This post has 495 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 12:49 PM

Welcome to the All Media Photo Challenge - January 2014

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Using any medium and any style. Stick to the photos exactly or just use them as a starting point. Feel free to change colors or composition and to add or subtract elements.

Theme: The theme for the month of January is a Canadian Winter. This includes anything Canadian and/or anything winter. Anything winter includes the winter escapes as well.

Target Post Date: January 1, 2014 - January 31, 2014

Be sure to post your work here in this thread so our challenges won't get confused with each other.

Just a note: The February 2014 Watercolor Artist magazine has an article "Wintry Mix" with "the color of fresh snow" by Janet Nunn, "study of light" by Joel Popadics and "dazzling snow shadows" by Catherine Hearding. These articles illustrate amazing colorful winter scenes. I have increased the color saturation in some of the snow scenes to help illustrate snow's many colors.

Happy Painting

All the photos are mine unless marked as Public Domain.

I did not really want the fence post in the front of this photo. Also you may notice the band of cloud along the horizon, this is very typical of my area because it is an island and the surrounding water has not frozen yet so with cold temperatures we have clouds of steam rising from the water.

This photo was taken at the Ravenseyrie Sorraia, Mustang Preserve  (on Manitoulin Island) that is a transcontinental preservation to save endangered indigenous wild horses of the Iberian Peninsula - Sorraia Highlands.

One of the many Canadian winter pastimes is to feed the birds and to watch birds. So a few bird photos

A Bohemian waxwing, that we only see during some winters.

Then we have our bird seed thieves.

Canadians enjoy many winter sports.

From my Granddaughters figure skating show with the theme of Canadian Winter Olympics. Sorry for the poor photo quality.

There seems to be a long history of ladies playing hockey in Canada. These two photos are from the Public Domain.

Women Playing Hockey, Toronto, Canada, 1910 outside Varsity Arena.

Girls hockey team in 1921.

A couple of photos with buildings.

I thought I would add this photo of my father and his youngest great grandchild. My father's descendants were the first settlers in this area and his grandson's father is a First Nations Native.

The next two photos are representative of Native works and are from the Public Domain.

The majority of Canadians travel south for an escape from winters cold temperatures.

This photo is from the Public Domain.

While holidaying in the South, people enjoy:

the beaches

Resorts

Sailing

and fishing

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 305
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 31 Dec 2013 1:06 PM

Bonnie, you have posted a fine collection of reference photos.  It will be difficult to select one or two.  My book on painting trees with emphasis on pen & ink arrived yesterday and I see some trees posted here that I'd like to try.  I'm afraid that they will be tougher than I imagine.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 1:24 PM

Thank you Sam, pen and ink would work well with some of the tree or building photos.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 44,855
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 1:36 PM

Bonnie, you did a fine job!! What a wonderful selection of photos. I guess I had better get back into painting mode although not sure when I will get back to the studio! 

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,394
Points 22,485
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 1:47 PM

Bonnie some neat pictures.  The one of your father and his grandson is great.  By first nation I ASSUME HE IS Indian , eskamo, or enuet .  (please pardon my horrible spelling). It would be neat to have that kind of heritage and relationship to the land.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,394
Points 22,485
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 1:51 PM

B.J. Bailey:
The February 2014 Watercolor Artist magazine has an article "Wintry Mix" with "the color of fresh snow" by Janet Nunn, "study of light" by Joel Popadics and "dazzling snow shadows" by Catherine Hearding. These articles illustrate amazing colorful winter scenes

My where would one find a copy of this ;)

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 2:35 PM

Jen, thank you, I hope you will feel better soon.

Geri, yes this baby's father is Indian, not living on a Reserve but is an Ontario Provincial Police officer. And yes, they both have a very strong relationship to the land. I need to correct the post in that this is my fathers great grandson.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 31 Dec 2013 6:22 PM

Bonnie, such a wonderful theme and so many beautiful images!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 9:16 PM

A lot of great photos Bonnie! I really like the wild horses right off the top.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 9:16 PM
Bonnie nice pictures for the first challenge in the new year. I like to look outside and enjoy seeing the snow around me so I will start with some winter trees. As for ice skating and hockey I spend a lot of my time watching grand kids in the cold arena. Happy New Years to all!

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 9:19 PM

Thank you Alex, I hope you will find something inspiring.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Dec 2013 10:57 PM

Catherine, thank you and I'm glad you found something that attracted your interest.

Joyce, thank you for your comments. I had thought your northern lights would fit into this theme, they were so nice. I understand about time spent in the arena.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 1 Jan 2014 10:31 AM

Hi Bonnie, this will seem like a very odd posting ... I was trying to show how snow would look on branches with the sky behind them ...

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 1 Jan 2014 10:55 AM

Alex, to me, this painting looks like snow on branches with the sky behind them.  It also looks like a very lovely abstract.  The red berries are a great focal point.  The lovely colors meander around so as to keep the viewer's eye moving around the painting.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Jan 2014 11:03 AM

Alex, this is wonderful. The more I look at this the more I can see your excellent job of using the warm colours for shading to create light and fluffy snow piled up on the branches. Great colour with the sky peaking through, it looks like a clear blue sky. I wonder, is this done with w/c pencil?

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 34 (496 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS