Varnishing watercolors

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
813 Posts
Points 16,900
Trusted Users
Lori Woodward posted on 19 May 2009 11:26 AM

Anyone else out there varnish their watercolor paintings?  I've been doing this for almost 10 years now, and I love the way acrylic varnish makes my paintings look - rich colors with no reflection.

Let me know how you varnish your watercolors or if you'd like to know how I do it.

www.loriwords.com

All Replies

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

Hi my name is Jody, just curious should you not use a frame with acrylic front to frame a watercolour painting? I have been buying watercolour paintings and framing myself I use a mat board so they aren't touching the acrylic, I have found it hard to find nice glass front frames in my price range so I just get the plastic ones, they actually look really nice. Have you got any other tips for framing, should I tape the edges on the back of the frame?  : )

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
48 Posts
Points 1,235

Hello, new member here,

I just joined the discussion  and I noticed this thread. I have been using an archival spray varnish on all my watercolor paintings after seeing the cost of professional framing. I totally agree with your statement about the added color depth that it gives. I started stretching my watercolor paper over canvas stretchers in order to create gallery wrap paintings and I find that I really like the look of the finished work. That said, do you brush on the varnish or spray?

Not Ranked
48 Posts
Points 1,235

Hello,

I did the exact same thing, for the same reason. I love the way it looks. I can use watercolor or acrylics, or even a combination of the two. I have spent way too much money in the past with no added value in the work. I use a satin archival spray and really like the look of it. The fact that I don't have to use glass is icing on the cake.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 15

I spray on the archival varnish to fix the watercolors...then I paint on the polyurethane ...maybe 5 or 6 coats.

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS