Never too old to learn I hope

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
kaye24 wrote
on 18 May 2009 7:40 AM

Never had an art lesson since 3rd grade so I am new to this. Almost past being a senior citizen. I started out with a few drawing lessons and lots of books. It's a long, hard lonely road but I can see some progress in my work. I figured acrylic was the safest way to go. I've been looking at some of the paintings in here and there are lots of really nice ones. Maybe I will catch up along the way. Nice to meet all of you.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,815
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 18 May 2009 9:46 AM

Kaye, it's never too late!!  There's plenty of folks here to cheer you on and answer any questions you have, you don't have to reinvent the wheel!  My advice is whatever your medium, spend time every day just drawing from life.  Makes everything else easier and better, imo.

Welcome here, by the way!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 890
Points 17,260
Randy E wrote
on 18 May 2009 4:34 PM

Kaye,

You are going to be surprised how many of us are all late life painters. Remember Grandma Moses? She was just one of us. You should paint if your heart tells you to paint. We look forward to your participation. I'm 63 and started painting daily about 3 years ago. I love every minute, even when I hate the thing I just painted.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,815
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 19 May 2009 4:21 AM

Agree, OP!  I find I'm much more focused now than when I was younger, have the time to give art a significant chunk of my day, and have developed a selfishness that makes me take the time, even when I shouldn't!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 1,325
phillip2 wrote
on 19 May 2009 10:11 AM

well, OP, now we know.  You and I are the same age.  Wish I had time to paint every day, but day and night job get in the way.  Ah, retirement is not far away.  I envy those who can paint every day.  I'm glad the muse is in your house.  she only visits me in the mornings when I'm doing something else and then leaves in the evening.  I know-one must discipline one's self.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 806
Points 16,615
Trusted Users
on 19 May 2009 11:55 AM

My friend, Kathy Anderson is 63, and she is in the process of going national with her visibility.  She only started painting seriously about 6 years ago. She's got much determination - improves tremendously every year - never satisfied and always growing.

She just had a successful show at the National Arts Club in NYC where she sold 11 paintings - one for $10,000. It wasn't always this way. She doesn't think about her age - just her work.

We were all beginners at one time - for some, it was just a few years ago.

www.loriwords.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 403
Points 6,565
Trusted Users
on 24 May 2009 1:56 AM

I have a small calligraphy quote hanging in my studio that says, “The artist’s life is the best in the world if you can get through the first 40 years ~ Thomas Hart Benton.

I started drawing when I was age 3, made some significant progress through high school, but then decided to pursue a commercial art career for thirty years, while thinking that “someday” I would do my fine art. And while commercial art - particularly graphic design - has been lucrative for me, my heart really wanted to pursue my first love - wildlife painting. All those years my life and work never left much time for it. While not yet at retirement age, I was beginning to feel that it was now or never, so I started carving out small blocks of time in my busy life for my fine art. My wonderful husband even agreed to give up his hobby room for my studio and helped me set it up for art only. I joined a local art society that has themed monthly shows and lots of encouragement and advice, alongwith these forums. Now I can get a feel for having my work judged and critiqued. I subscribed to both the Pastel Journal and American Artist magazines and just entered a subscription to Drawing magazine. While I feel I am beginning again, I am thrilled at the prospect of learning new methods and finally painting what I love!

I am a great admirer of Robert Bateman and he responded to me when I was expressing my angst over being an older artist that, “I did not turn to art as a full-time career until I was 46, so don’t let the time factor get you down.”

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 480
Clinton2 wrote
on 26 Jul 2009 7:57 AM

Not only is it never too late too paint, it is never too late for great success either. I had a student several years ago who was in his early 50's when he began painting again. Five years later he is showing up in the magazines, he is in two galleries and selling on a regular basis. I must also add that he paints and draws every day for many hours. I don't want to make it sound easy but it can be done. Let us also not forget how old Frank McCourt was when Angela's Ashes was published and he won the Pulitzer.

Robin's advice about working from life is invaluable. I would add that although you may feel like you need to jump right into full color and catch up, the more time you spend working in Black and White, the quicker you will actually move. (I would say at least six months).

Good Luck!

Clint
http://www.clintonhobart.com/

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS