any calligraphers here?

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
on 9 Dec 2013 12:46 PM

Hi,,,,I am a calligrapher and would love to chat with others.  I have practiced, practiced, practiced for two years and have studied the same, mostly from books, and a few workshops.  I'm to the point of doing finished pieces, things ready to hang in galleries.   I recently did three which I just entered in a small works show.  Prior to that, I got my first commission, a short quote by Mark Twain--imagine, someone paid me for it!  I redid it and entered it in a 5X7 show and that one sold!  I got a second commission, a verrrry long quote, that all I could do was write the whole thing out on 8 1/2 X 11 paper, not very interesting layout-wise.  Anyway, I really want to incorporate other elements like simple drawings or watercolor with my calligraphy.  And would love to chat with others.  I also will submit for critique some of my pieces; that would be so helpful!  thanks!  sunny :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 175
Points 5,880
tyneboy wrote
on 20 Jan 2014 1:11 PM

Hi sunny

Its nice to hear from someone interested in calligraphy and its good to hear that you have began selling your work. I have been interested in calligraphy and illumination for about 40 years so I have experimented with several different forms of calligraphy. Although lettering is very important I think that a nice border or pattern enhances the work considerably. I would like to see some of your work and if you are interested I could show you some of the things I have produced over the years

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
on 21 Jan 2014 12:37 AM

hello, and thanks for the response.  I really don't have a "finished" piece to show you, just practice pages.  I agree, some artwork should add a lot to a calligraphic piece.  I've been working on some drawing, just learning at this point, and have a lot of watercolors, which never seem to get put to use.  I'm going to see a woman who owns a gallery tomorrow about teaching there.  I have taught beginning italics twice at an art supply store, and would do the same class.  I do like the teaching.  I would love to see some of your work!   thanks again, sunny

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 175
Points 5,880
tyneboy wrote
on 27 Jan 2014 12:17 PM

you can see some of my work in the gallery section

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 175
Points 5,880
tyneboy wrote