What are some basic supplies to start drawing?

This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 105
on 30 Nov 2013 9:56 PM

My husband would like to start drawing, and I want to put together some supplies as a Christmas gift.  What would you suggest?  He had some charcoal pencils or sticks at one point, but I've no idea if he still does. My budget is about $100.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 5,885
on 4 Dec 2013 11:10 AM

One site you can go to in the USA and order online is danielsmith.com

Check out their Silver Box Graphite Wood Drawing Set $32.52 - 17 pieces.  (I also looked at a 124 piece set that was contained in a 3-drawer box -  Sketching and Drawing Artist Easel Set.))   Also look at the Richeson Spiral Sketch Pad 11 x 14, 100 sheets 60 lb paper - they also have the bound black sketching books.  Mechanical pencils are handy too, look at Staedtler Mars Technico 2mm Lead Holder $7, and the Staedtler Lumograph Leads - HB, 4B, 2H - (H is harder, B softer - the higher the number, the softer the leads - to start,  go for the HB @ $12.99 (12 leads).  You can keep in mind that you can get a variety of leads for this pencil if your husband is interested.  You can get a pack of 3 erasers for $1.26 that has the Kneadable eraser, the Mars Plastic eraser and that square one kids use.  Pentel Click Erasers are also handy @ $2.15.  Also there is a paper blending tool (I can't remember the name of it), but it is used for blending your pencil on the paper, also used for shading - it's tightly wrapped and is pointed.   Daniel Smith offers free shipping at certain spending points, but their shipping to me in Canada has been very reasonable.

A Canadian site - deserres.ca had a Table Easel Sketching Set @ $29.99 that I found interesting.  You can check out their flyer by looking in the middle of the page that comes up and hitting "flyers', then on the left side hit Art Supplies, and you will see several drawing sets offered.  If you find something of interest go to their 'fine art' section and you can check them out further.

I've been using the Daniel Smith site for a number of years and have been very happy with their service.  Hope this helps some.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 5,885
on 4 Dec 2013 1:23 PM

That 124 piece drawing set was at Michaels, not Daniel Smith.  If you shop at Michaels, you will be aware of their 40% off coupons on regular price items, you can download the coupon, I believe.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45
on 21 Apr 2014 1:26 PM

I'd get him a moleskine sketchbook, a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil (I think Faber castell makes one specifically for drawing) a Tuff stuff pencil eraser and a kneaded eraser, and some blending stumps. Literally all you need to make a masterpiece right there. ;)

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
Sarah Gren wrote
on 30 Sep 2014 6:31 AM

To start drawing, pencils ,pencil eraser & sketchbooks pads are basic things and you may buy rest of things later as per requirement. I would recommend Jerry's artarama, you may get a good discount.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
randomart wrote
on 8 Oct 2014 10:06 PM

I would say to get him the very basics.

• a sketchpad (one with semi-course paper - usually $10-$20
  • pencils: listed below are some of the best pencils to start out, 2h being a good light sketching pencil, and 8b and 9xxb being deep shading pencils. Each pencil can be between $1-$3

-2H

-HB

- 2B

-4B

-6B

-8B

-9XXB (it's a super dark pencil

• Erasers 

-kneadble $1-$3 depending on size (good for highlights, and thin lines)

-white art eraser $1 (great for big erases

• Blending stumps, and tortillons  (good for smudging and blending) $2-$5
This is literally the most basic art set you can put together, and a decent holding container can range from $5- upwards depending one what type, and where you get it. Hope i could help :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,320
on 9 Oct 2014 11:31 AM

Liz—

You have had some very good suggestions offered. However, I disagree with all or most of them.

If your husband is serious about beginning to draw, all he needs is a pencil and a stack of copier paper. Drawing is just as much a skill as it is an art. It is silly to purchase a lot of art material at this stage. The answer to learning how to draw is to draw and sketch as often as possible.The first step is to learn the coordination between the hand, mind and eye that is essential to learning how to draw what we see. A beginning artist should always be drawing the things around him—things that he can see rather than drawing from photos. Drawing from pictures can be a second step. As a beginning artist, your husband should not be attempting to draw photo-like finished drawings. This is one of the reasons many beginners become discouraged.

I'll make some suggestions for several Christmas gifts—a couple of good books on learning how to draw, an electric pencil sharpener, a stack of cheap copier paper and a box of "house pencils". A beginning artist needs cheap paper where he isn't afraid to make mistakes and erase. Speaking of that, I would also suggest a kneaded eraser.

I hope he has fun.
Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
randomart wrote
on 15 Oct 2014 2:23 PM

After reading paul's post, i heavily agree with him. Cheap paper to start is a great first step, i remember when i just started out, i never wanted to draw on my new paper because i didn't want to waste pages. So I think i'll pop up and say all the stuff previously listed may be a good purchase once he is more comfortable with art. A few pencils erasers and a pack of paper is actually really good for a start. AND saves your budget ;)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 105
on 15 Oct 2014 3:46 PM

Thanks so much everyone.  Shortly after posting this, I found out that hubby wanted something else for Christmas, and he really isn't that interested in drawing after all.

I'm very glad for the suggestions anyway because I want to start sketching more at some point.  I'm a jewelry designer, and would like to do a better job of recording ideas.  They tend to pop up when I'm already behind on my beading.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS