What are some basic supplies to start drawing?

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
on 30 Nov 2013 9:56 PM

My husband would like to start drawing, and I want to put together some supplies as a Christmas gift.  What would you suggest?  He had some charcoal pencils or sticks at one point, but I've no idea if he still does. My budget is about $100.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
denalester wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 3:43 AM

Thanks for sharing this post!!!!

There are few basic supplies to start painting & drawing. Basic art supplies are pencils, paints, sketchbooks, pads, easels, kits and sets. You can also order your online art supplies with any art supply store.  Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 5,640
on 4 Dec 2013 11:10 AM

One site you can go to in the USA and order online is danielsmith.com

Check out their Silver Box Graphite Wood Drawing Set $32.52 - 17 pieces.  (I also looked at a 124 piece set that was contained in a 3-drawer box -  Sketching and Drawing Artist Easel Set.))   Also look at the Richeson Spiral Sketch Pad 11 x 14, 100 sheets 60 lb paper - they also have the bound black sketching books.  Mechanical pencils are handy too, look at Staedtler Mars Technico 2mm Lead Holder $7, and the Staedtler Lumograph Leads - HB, 4B, 2H - (H is harder, B softer - the higher the number, the softer the leads - to start,  go for the HB @ $12.99 (12 leads).  You can keep in mind that you can get a variety of leads for this pencil if your husband is interested.  You can get a pack of 3 erasers for $1.26 that has the Kneadable eraser, the Mars Plastic eraser and that square one kids use.  Pentel Click Erasers are also handy @ $2.15.  Also there is a paper blending tool (I can't remember the name of it), but it is used for blending your pencil on the paper, also used for shading - it's tightly wrapped and is pointed.   Daniel Smith offers free shipping at certain spending points, but their shipping to me in Canada has been very reasonable.

A Canadian site - deserres.ca had a Table Easel Sketching Set @ $29.99 that I found interesting.  You can check out their flyer by looking in the middle of the page that comes up and hitting "flyers', then on the left side hit Art Supplies, and you will see several drawing sets offered.  If you find something of interest go to their 'fine art' section and you can check them out further.

I've been using the Daniel Smith site for a number of years and have been very happy with their service.  Hope this helps some.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 5,640
on 4 Dec 2013 1:23 PM

That 124 piece drawing set was at Michaels, not Daniel Smith.  If you shop at Michaels, you will be aware of their 40% off coupons on regular price items, you can download the coupon, I believe.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45
on 21 Apr 2014 1:26 PM

I'd get him a moleskine sketchbook, a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil (I think Faber castell makes one specifically for drawing) a Tuff stuff pencil eraser and a kneaded eraser, and some blending stumps. Literally all you need to make a masterpiece right there. ;)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS