Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 503
Points 7,855
NealeyPea wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 8:00 PM

"Creamer"  10" x 10" graphite & charcoal pencils.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 9 Jan 2014 8:38 PM

Nealey, your graphite and charcoal of the creamer is exquisite. The values are perfect.  The shine on the creamer looks so convincing and the pattern on the creamer is wonderful.  The folds and shadows on the cloth are very well done.  I love it.

I've been wanting to do that one but you have really set the bar high.  Guess that's why it's called a challenge.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 9 Jan 2014 9:58 PM

Nealey, your creamer is so lovely. I also liked this one and you have done a superb job with the graphite and charcoal. As Sam said your values are perfect, it has a wonderful shine but is also smooth and soft. Beautiful.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,595
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 3:23 AM

Nealey, to Quote Ron Weasly(Harry Potter) " It is bloody brilliant"! Great job on the milk jug.

Jan, Nice work on the daisy and butterfly. you really made the distinction between the butterfly and flower well.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 503
Points 7,855
NealeyPea wrote
on 10 Jan 2014 7:28 PM

Sam, Bonnie & Jen ~ Thanks for your comments on my creamer drawing.  No one has mentioned that my shape is not quite right. It's a bit too tall.   When I saw that, the drawing was too far along for me to erase it.  Maybe I'll have to do 5 or 6 more drawings until I get it just right!  It was a surprisingly difficult shape.  I hope you try this one Sam & Bonnie.  It's educational for me to see others' versions of the same subject.  CHEERS!

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 10 Jan 2014 7:59 PM

Nealey, it's art.  Not a photograph.  And I think it's perfect.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 11 Jan 2014 7:32 AM

Nealey, I agree with Sam. You are noticing the difference because you worked from the photo but if you just look at the your art it is perfect.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 11 Jan 2014 12:55 PM

Jan, your daisy and moth are beautifully executed. I love that you're posting in this forum!

Nealey, your piece "after Pissaro" and drawing of the creamer are both lovely. I wholeheartedly agree with people's comments that this is your artistic vision and not an exactly duplicate of Pissaro's. Perhaps after a time it will be promoted from its spot on the bulletin board two rooms away!

Sam, I know your cataract surgery will make a huge difference in your ability to see detail and hope you can move it up

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 503
Points 7,855
NealeyPea wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 11:40 AM

A Gal Named Sam:

Nealey, it's art.  Not a photograph.

Sam, you a re absolutely right ~ I need to tattoo this on my forehead.

Alex, thank you for your kind comments, esp. my Pissarro WC version.  I shall keep ploughin' on.....

Nealey

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 3 Feb 2014 5:55 PM

Hi,

Just completed this little painting.  I am a little worried that the water is too dark for the sky - comments please.

Acrylic on stretched canvas 24cm x 33cm.

Sonia.

Sonia

Comments & critique will always be welcome & appreciated!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 5:42 PM

Sonia, a lovely painting of the light house. I really like the texture on the buildings red roofs. The buildings all have good shape and the light house is just glowing. I don't have any problem with the values of the sky and water, and for me they seem fine. A very nice painting.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 503
Points 7,855
NealeyPea wrote
on 4 Feb 2014 6:20 PM

Hi Sonia ~ I totally agree with Bonnie.  I think your ocean colors are fine.  I would have maybe done a bit more detail on the foreground rocks.  Lovley painting.

Nealey

Page 27 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  23 24 25 26 27 | RSS