Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 402
Points 6,135
NealeyPea wrote
on 27 Dec 2013 7:22 PM

Sam, Jen, Charlie, Geri, Bonnie and Marsha ~ Thanks for your comments on my ink & wash of Brooke.  Her Dad is going to frame it for her.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Dec 2013 7:49 PM

Nealey,   Perfect for Dad to do that....   Forward thinking pop.... I like those

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Dec 2013 7:58 PM

I have a friend that is a photographer,   and she teaches photography,   she sent this the day before Christmas and I thought about the White theme for this month...  although this is a  "how to paint white"  and this photo would be difficult , it would be a challenge.....   I just love the photo its self... I like the way she added lots of white snow at the bottom to show that the tree was at the top of the hill.  If you look closely you can see the horizon of the hill as it meets the white sky... I thought I would share it with every one..  here is what she wrote:

"I met this little tree on top of a hill while snowshoeing last week. It was early morning. It had just stopped snowing and it struck me how the sky met the snow in a seamless backdrop. It definitely spoke to my minimalist eye :)  (Valerie) "

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 27 Dec 2013 8:28 PM

Marsha, thank you for sharing Valerie's photo.  I agree that it is a beautiful photo.  It took some intense looking but I do see where the snow meets the sky.  This would make a gorgeous painting or drawing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 945
Points 17,130
jcurry wrote
on 29 Dec 2013 6:35 PM

I hope it's not too late for me to post on this challenge. Thought I'd try this. It's my first time to do a challenge. Pastel on black paper.

Jan

C & C Welcome

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,391
Points 44,370
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 29 Dec 2013 7:22 PM

Jan, VERY, VERY nice!!!

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,717
Points 44,755
Turps245 wrote
on 29 Dec 2013 8:05 PM
Marsha, Wonderful photo by your friend. A perfect example of the simplicity of black and white.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,717
Points 44,755
Turps245 wrote
on 29 Dec 2013 8:09 PM

Jan, Welcome to the forum. What a lovely painting of the swan and her signets. the black paper works well with pastels for this painting. Hope this will not be the last time you post here now you have found us! It is never to late to do any of the challenges as they never close. just post in the challenge you find the reference in.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 29 Dec 2013 8:10 PM

Jan, a great big welcome to you.  It's never too late to post art work in a Challenge.  You could post something in any of the past Challenges and when you do, that thread would come to the top of the list so that we all will know there is something new.

It's great that you zeroed in on the youngsters riding on Mama's back.  You did a super job using good values.  The textures on Mama's neck are nice and the youngsters are so cute. It's a unique and pleasing crop. I like this very much.  .

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,717
Points 44,755
Turps245 wrote
on 29 Dec 2013 8:14 PM

Well guys I am back and had a great time in the frozen north. Joyce's card arrived yesterday so I can now share my display from all of you. Thank you each and every one. I love looking at all your art. Joyce I was impressed with the hand made envelope and the lovely bell card.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 29 Dec 2013 8:18 PM

Jen, your display looks so good.  Aren't you proud of our little group and their wonderful creativity.

This year I didn't request addresses from the newer members since I wasn't posting for most of the year.  Next year, I'll be sure to get everybody's address.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 29 Dec 2013 8:21 PM

Jan, this is a wonderful pastel. I like that you cropped the photo to have the signets as the center of interest. So glad you tried out the challenge, this pastel is lovely. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 29 Dec 2013 9:06 PM

Hi Fred, I think your painting of the Icelandic elves is one of your very best. The way you've presented the subterranean path and rocks and colors is very creative yet very real, and your choice of colors is bold and unexpected.

Charlie, this is a wonderful Santa with his gifts. I love the detail of the individual toys like the dog (so sweet) and the embroidery on Santa's vest.

Marsha, I remember Sam's photo that inspired your painting last year (it prompted my 2012 Christmas card of Santa with his bag of toys) - his face is terrific and his beard fits perfectly with this year's theme of white on white.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,391
Points 44,370
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 29 Dec 2013 9:12 PM

Alex, thank you.  I really enjoyed painting him.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 29 Dec 2013 9:17 PM

Catherine, your use of graphite and charcoal on the daisy and moth is just beautiful. There is something about the way you portray black-and-white that is so attractive.

Nealey, I love the watercolor of your granddaughter, Brooke, and suspect it really captures her personality and posture. A keepsake for sure! And I love that you gave her art supplies for Christmas.

Jan, it is so nice to see your work here - I've always admired it in the member gallery. Your handling of the lights and darks on the swan and cygnets is lovely.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Page 21 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  19 20 21 22 23  Next >  ... Last » | RSS