Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 20 Dec 2013 8:28 PM

Leticia, thanks for the delicious recipe.  Have a fabulous holiday and wonderful travels. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 22 Dec 2013 9:51 AM

Joyce, I love your new posting of the daisies done in white and gray with pen-and-ink and pastels. The subtle shading on the petals is just lovely. Wow. Black and white (and shades of gray) really suits your style. So pretty.

Sam, thanks for posting Martha Lever's painting of sheep. It's a great example of the nuances of white. Wonderful colors in the wool of their coats!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 10:50 AM

Joyce, you have done lovely work with the daisies. Your watercolour has such a nice background and good shading on the whites, they just pop against the background. Your ink and pastel has created a nice textured look. I hope you are feeling better as we get closer to the holidays, and hope you are not in the area of power outage.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 11:06 AM

Sam, the sheep painting of Martha Lever is wonderful and such a good example of all the colours that make up white and how it greats great texture in the wool. Very nice that she has shared this work with us, it is beautiful.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 4:33 PM

Icelandic Elves heading to work in Santa's cave 11x14 acrylic and W/C

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 7:58 PM

"HO, HO, HO" 12" x 16" Acrylic on matboard, 12-21-2013

This was a display that I saw in a supermarket.

Merry Christmas to All!!!

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 8:04 PM

Joyce very nice flowers!

Sam love the expression on your sheep.

Fred, I like your stories and paintings.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 8:06 PM

I have been a naughty girl for December so I hope I can do a last minute save...

Fred:  as always your textures and colors and themes amaze us all,  I personally like the cold snowy cabin, although the red barn was a bright spot...  hmmm santa in a cave I have a hard time wrapping my head around....but then again,,, why not. the Lightouse was fun to look at with the clolrs.

JEN: your Santa with a child was truly fun to see.   job well done.  with the white fur on the cap and his beard really well done  Stay warm in Chicago.  

Catherine:  I enjoyed watching the process and reading about your Breakfast in Bed,  and thought you did a loverly job on it I was sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad you came out of it.

Sam:  your poisettias were beautiful all of them  I kinda like the one with the colors in it but keeping to the white.. likd of like having reflections of color on the whit but added as stippling.  I remember your our great santa piece... I brought some of my Santas out today that I did on Artist Daily  . Your choice to show someone else's work definitely shows the colors and reflections in a white painting.   good lesson.

By the way,  I used to be a print estimator...  an interesting thing to do would be to get a strong magnifyiing glass and look at a picture in a magazine...  it is all made of dots...  magenta, cyan, yellow and black.   a lot like stippling

SARAH:  oh my the hare in the snow is beautiful,   the lettering on the camel is beautiful,  I took a class in high school of calligraphy, but never kept up with it.  The wild cat in the snow is so well done.

ALEX,   the Holly and Berries are beautiful  I can imagine the shimmer with the gold highlights

BONNIE: your lillies are beautiful as well,  again Sam, you have started a good thing with the stipple technique

KAREN:   Great Job on your Santa.   beard looks great.

JOYCE  your daisies are cheerful and I love the background,  it really makes the white pop, and the centers stand out. the second one you did looked really great with the grey colors even though it was a photo or scanner situation.   usually you get a yellowy kind of color but in this case is was a soft warm grey...  like it. LOVE THE LIGHTHOUSE... the sky is great, and I have the feeling of walking over large boulders and rocks and coming across the lightouse in the distance over another mound.   great job.

LIZ:   your tackled the Swans quite well,  very very nice.

GERI: You are getting to know me tooo well.       warning folks about my wooden Santa fetish.... hmmm   I'll have to sneak one up on you....   just you wait....   tee hee....

NEALY I wish I had seen the Old World Wooden Santa on this  site so I could have included my comments here about it.   well I'm going to comment here ANYWAY.   .    AS Geri said,   "watch out for Marsha,,,"  he is sooo correct,  I absolutely love it.  do you mind if I try too paint it as well????? on a flat surface....   that is most beautiful job you did....  

WHEW,,,,   that is hard trying to catch up....   I don't want any coal in my stocking this year......  
Great job everyone.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 22 Dec 2013 8:24 PM

Fred, you placed Santa in a totally different environment than we have come to expect.  It looks warm there and very secluded.  Again, I like the texture on the rocks.

Marsha, not a chance that you'll get coal in your stocking.  I totally understand about getting depressed at this time of the year.  There is so much extra work and expectations.  It's just so good to hear from you and I look forward to your next creation.

Your Christmas card display looks great and so does the painting of the irises on the wall.

Charlie,  love your old world Santa.  He looks so loaded down and ready to go to work.  The bright greens and reds work really well in this lovely portrait.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 8:27 PM

Because I doubt I'll have time to do something for the December Challenge, I'll post one I did from last year,  Santa in his green nighty cap, getting ready for Christmas.   watercolor 8x10

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 8:32 PM

Charlie, you and I posted at the same time,   I love your old world Santa and his warm robe.   He looks like he is ready to RUMBLE with all of his toys....  great job.

SAM:   thanks for the kind words.   I'm pulling myself up.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 22 Dec 2013 8:41 PM

Marsha, thank you so much for posting Santa in green.  That was one of the reference photos from last year.  This December, we're concentrating not only on Christmas subjects but also on white and you did a bang up job on the white of Santa's beard, hat and hair.  It looks so thick, curly and soft.  Also, you used a beautiful shade of green on his hat.

Speaking of soft, his face looks soft, kind and loving.  The colors are fantastic.  You did his glasses extremely well and his eyes look alive.  Great painting.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 8:56 PM

Marsha, I love the beard and his eyes.

Sam, thank you.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 9:36 PM

For some reason unbeknownst to me,,,, my December Challenge emails got split into two...(separate email notifiers).    So when I posted the last comments I didn't see all of the beautiful contributions to the challenge and I don't want to leave anyone out...  all the lovely work is worth mentioning.

Grizz... DAVE:. so very nice to see you back.... I love the chapel painting it is a cool painting with a beautiful warmth to it. great style and technique.  

JEN: your  flower with the little butterfly certainly captured the transparency of his wings...   beautiful

Christina: the children playing in the snow is my favorite.   but the wintery scene with the warm glow is georgeous and I so wish I was young again and wandering on the beach in summer mostly naked....   hmmmm

Karen:   great texture with your snow covered trees...

SAM:   that rose is delicious and I can smell it in my imagination  hmmmmm  goood  it just doesn't get much better than that...   beautiful.  

SARAH:    Oh my.     the "First Christmas Tree" is very inspiring....  words cannot express the feeling it exudes

Catherine: your study is truly very nice.   As you said about the paper, I hope Santa brings you some heavier papero to work with.   merry Christmas  I hope you are keeping warm, I see the news isn't very favorable in your area

oh and I like the Charcoal swan work.   getting back into it after your accident is a good thing.

Crista;   welcome,   you daisy is simply scrumptous....  it just glows.....   kuddos.

FRED:  again,,,, hmmmmm    ho ho ho   alpha bet soup Santa....   as well as the jet propelled sled... see I told you the reandeer were gone....   Sarah showed us when they left.   I was searching for them and you just figured out how to go on without them... kuddos young man....   ingeneous.

Susan:   glad to see you....   "Seven Swan a Swimming.... "   and a Partridge in a Pear Tree....    great job.

LIZ: a very nice  and delicate swan PEN in the Florida waterways.... carrying her cygnets....  or flappers  hmmmm      

GERI:   I hope your are hunkered down with your long johns on, a cup of hot chocolate and cookies nearby...  with other additives close at hand as well....   STAY WARM  

HAPPY HOLIDAYS.   EVERYONE

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Dec 2013 9:50 PM

Charlie, wonderful Santa. He is very dashing in his red and green outfit with lovely texture in his beard and such a cute bear peaking over a present. Merry Christmas to you.

• | Post Points: 20
Page 18 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  16 17 18 19 20  Next >  ... Last » | RSS