Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Dec 2013 9:58 AM

Just stopped in to say a little.  Too much to do today and too little time.  I just hope I can get a painting in this month.

There have been a lot of great work done this month.  More than I can mention at the moment.  I would like to complement Sam on her ink work.  I was surprised to see it as I think of her as a colorist and then she turns out such a beautiful ink drawing.  This is not to say that the others have not ben as good because they have.  I this months works are the best the group has done.  Hopefully I can sneak in one that will measure up to the high standards you all have set.

You all have a very Merry Christmas and don't forget to leave Santa some cookies ;)

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,437
Points 71,360
on 14 Dec 2013 1:53 PM

Thank you so much Alex for the very kind words!

Cristina

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,719
Points 44,810
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Dec 2013 9:52 PM

Thank you all for your positive comments on my daisy. I finished it today. It was really hard getting the Butterfly to look transparent and I was not very successful but I did my best. Messed up some of the daisy too but I had a fun day painting with my friends again. I just can't paint at home for some reason.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,437
Points 71,360
on 14 Dec 2013 11:14 PM

Oh Jen,what a wonderful painting,lovely whites,you did a great job!

Cristina

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Points 2,275
on 15 Dec 2013 12:40 AM

Hello everyone. to some I'm an old timer, to others I'm just some guy that wondered in from the studio.  Nothing like being gone for a long time and then showing up late for the party. I've been struggling to get a Christmas card painting done. I apologize for my tardiness and lack of participation. I've been reading most of the posts, though it hasn't been easy since you all have been very prolific. (yes I'm looking at you Fred :)  but in a good way)  I've been very impressed with the quality of work I see here. I really do need to get back involved to push me out of my comfort zone.  Sam, it's good to see you back and well. I'll try and get at least some dialogue on everyone's work as I can.

As for a snow/Christmas painting, I finally found time to work on one. I kept it loose, and it seems that white is the least color seen in my snow. I'll be turning this into a Christmas card. I have a couple addresses from last year, feel free to message me if you'd like one. (even though it will be a little late)

This is 16x20, oil on canvas "Morning Glory"

Dave

AKA Grizzly Painter...

C&C Welcome

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,719
Points 44,810
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 12:52 AM
Dave, long time no see. It is good to have you back. I love your church up on the hill. The orange glow behind is the perfect compliment to the blue shadow in the snow. The trees sparkle with snow too. Glad you joined us. It is only the middle of the month so you are not really late. I would love a card from you if you want to swap.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 15 Dec 2013 7:07 AM

Dave, it's good to hear from you and see your work again.  Your snow scene is wonderful.  It's good that there is little white since it seems to be still darkish at sunrise.  The colors in the snow are perfect.  As Jen said, using the complement of orange for the rising sun is ideal.  It makes the painting alive and exciting. 

I still have and enjoy your card from last year which was another chapel in the snow.  I also still have your address and would love to receive a card from you.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 15 Dec 2013 7:14 AM

Jen, you used wonderful colors on the petals of the daisy giving them good dimension.  I like how they twist and turn.  The butterfly stands out nicely due to the yellow you introduced to his white wings.  The subtle mix of colors in the background look so good and the dark background causes the white flower and butterfly to pop. Lovely painting.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 8:29 AM

Jen, beautiful daisy, it just pops on your background. Wonderful job on those transparent wings, I had wondered about those. I like the effect of carrying the daisy center colour down the stem and the background colours into the petals. Nicely done.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 9:20 AM

Dave, very nice to have you wonder in with your "Morning Glory". This is a wonderful piece for a snow/Christmas painting. I think keeping it loose highlights the Church especially with the warm glow of the sunrise. It is definitely a Glorious scene for Christmas.

I will send you my address to exchange cards.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 7,485
karend84 wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 11:18 AM

Alot of catching up to do again.

Sam your pen and ponsettias are wonderful.  Two unique looks with the addition of color.  I think I am partial to the red but also love the softness of the white one.  Your Santa protrait is wonderful.  Your beard is so soft looking.

Sarah All four of your painting are so well done.  I especially like the camel card.  It reminds me of Christmas with the colors.  

Fred Great job on the lighthouse.  Alfa-beta Santa is so much fun.

Alexandra Fantanstic job on the stippled holly and gold berries

Bonnie,  I love that did Georia Okeefes lilies with stippling.  Wonderful work acheiving the shadows.

Crista, Geat job on the daisy.  I hope to see more of your work.

Catherine, Thank you for sharing your WIP on Breakfast in bed.  Beautiful work.   

Jose, your Christmas portrait is so well done.  I agree you are a master at portraying emotion.

Cristina, Three beautiful paintings in your wonderful style.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 7,485
karend84 wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 11:21 AM

Jen,, Beautiful daisy.  I love the colors you pulled into the petals.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 7,485
karend84 wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 11:25 AM

Dave, Lovely scene.  The orange glow, blues and violets give the feel of a peaceful winter night.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,719
Points 44,810
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 11:57 AM
Cristina, Sammy, Bonnie andKaren, thank you so much.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 15 Dec 2013 7:02 PM

Jen, hello again!  You have been busy this week!  Your daisy painting turned out well & I don't see one single Jinx footprint, heehee!

Dave ~ Morning Glory has some nice and clean colors.  The chapel also has nice clean lines & the red door is a good eye catcher!  Beautiful light!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Page 14 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS