Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 6:17 PM

Alex ~ You did a great job on your holly stipple drawing!  Love the added gold paint.

Bonnie ~ What a clever rendition of O'Keefe's Lily!

Crista ~ hello again!  A great CP drawing on black background!  

Everyone is being so productive!Yes

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 7:18 PM

First let me comment on everyone's current work and then I'll post the study and WIP of Breakfast in Bed.

Sarah...The wild cat painting is just wonderful! I love the colors in the dark winter sky very much! Hunting reindeer? Hopefully Santa has them under guard. lol

Fred...I love the pink mountain! It looks like strawberry Jello with whipped cream mixed in it!

Sam...Your Santa is just beautiful! I really, really like the textures and tones in the beard and the hat fur!

Alex...What a simple yet elegant stippling of the holly and berries! I really like the choice of the gold for the berries.

Bonnie...Very cool stippling effect for the O'Keefe work! I really enjoy the movement in the petals.

Crista...What a super job on both the cabbage butterfly/moth and the daisy! The stem has a real interesting effect too.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,393
Points 44,400
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 7:19 PM

IndigoOkapi, your daisy is well done.  I especially like the white work. 

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 7:26 PM

I'm posting both the 9x9 study I've been working on the last few days along with the bigger WIP of the Breakfast in Bed Challenge photo. I am using gouache and because the paper is only 90 lb. I had to just quit with the study so it's an "as is" piece. There are written notes on the study painting but that's ok. I learned a lot about not only where my skills are at the moment but also how the gouache behaves (gets darker with each layer). I  will be going into the bigger work before I start again on it and erasing areas I need to change and then redraw.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 365
IndigoOkapi wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 7:32 PM

Sam - I did touch it up in Photoshop just to make the black background more black.  My lighting was terrible when I took the photo.  Here is the original before I did anything to it.  Perhaps I overdid the black, but the white was pretty white to begin with.  I think I went through half a white pencil.

Crista

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 7:33 PM

Here is a closer image of the study work. When I start the bigger work I will be mixing a huge amount of skin tone color at once in order to keep a consistent colors through out. One positive of doing a smaller study is I've learned what not to do in order to get the effect I want. unnecessary layering with the gouache leads to a darker finished product. In the bigger painting I will be erasing the mouth on both the child and mother along with checking to make sure my proportions are as good as I can get. I noticed the eyebrows on the mother are two different colors so I'll be making sure I don't get so involved that I miss that again. I'll also be pulling out the darker graphite lines in the big one with my putty eraser. I also need to make sure the bed frame is squared up as it may be higher on one side. A lot to do yet before I start. 

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,393
Points 44,400
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 7:59 PM

Catherine, this is very nice.  I learned the hard way to always have more skin tone than you think you will need.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 7 Dec 2013 8:07 PM

Catherine, I appreciate that you've shown this to us as we will appreciate what effort you put into it.  So far, it is looking great.  Mom's face is very nice and the whites look so good.  Can't wait to see the addition of more color and the changes you're planning.  Wonderful job so far.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 8:19 PM

Thank you Charlie and Sam! I can also see that I need to move the nose on the child over to the right more. I am really enjoying this painting. There is almost every sort of skill builder in it. Perspective, foreshortening, proportions, skin tones, etc. etc.. A whole course wrapped up into one painting!  One important lesson I'm learning is to not rush into the actual painting until I've got a grip on my materials and have my sketch the way it should be first. I'll get there...baby steps.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 10:23 PM

Crista, your efforts have really paid off with the whites of the white daisy. I especially like the stem, it is long and slender and would be difficult (for me anyway) to keep the proper width and I like the light highlights on it.

Catherine, I am very much appreciative of your posting these studies. They are coming along nicely especially the Mothers hair, and skin colour. Your comments illustrate the benefits of doing studies like this, even though they take time you are able to make observations. You seem to have the solution figured out for many of these observations.

Thank you Sam, Alex, Charley, Nealey and Catherine for you comments. Your comments are always very much appreciated. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,426
Points 101,535
jfgarcia wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 11:31 PM

I know this is not in this month's challenge but I did this today and I liked it for the season 

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,393
Points 44,400
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Dec 2013 11:55 PM

Jose, that is beautiful!!!.  I just started mine today.  Do not know how long it will take me to do.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 8 Dec 2013 12:10 AM

Jose, this month's Challenge is anything Christmas or anything mostly white.  Could you get more Christmas than this painting.  It is what Christmas is all about.  The tender, loving expressions are wonderful.  It's a very beautiful and expressive painting.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,426
Points 101,535
jfgarcia wrote
on 8 Dec 2013 1:52 AM

thank you for your comments i did this for my wife but thought it would look good here 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 8 Dec 2013 8:41 AM

Jose, this is beautifully done. So much love and affection shown in Josephs arms around Mary and baby Jesus, protecting them and Mary reaching to the baby Jesus. Lovely piece to represent our celebration of Christmas.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Page 9 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS