Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,412
Points 44,570
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 4:37 PM

Joyce, your lighthouse is very nice in watercolor.  I like your big rocks.

Sam, your Red Poinsettia is very well done.  I like the colors.  

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 5:52 PM

Sam ~ Luv your two colored renditions of the poinsettia!  The red flower is very Christmassy but I think it covers the black ink too much.  Your white flower is exquisite with just the faintest shadows of yellow, blue & violet (and red?).  AND your ink work is still showcased.  You are sooooooo talented!Star

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,723
Points 44,860
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 6:53 PM
Joyce, love that sky, you are developing a definite style. I think the rocks read as big slabs so they are fine, good job on the lighthouse.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,723
Points 44,860
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 6:56 PM
Sammy, both the red and the white look fantastic! It would be interesting to know just how many colours you used especially on the white one.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 7:52 PM

Sam, these are beautiful. Love the red one, but then the white is elegant, hard to chose. Good idea to copy and try the different colours. I had thought I would not like the colour as much as I do.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 4 Dec 2013 7:59 PM

Thank you Charlie. Nealey, Jen and Bonnie.  I do value your input.

Jen, I didn't use very many colors and I did these very quickly.  On the white one, I had a light and medium pink, light blue, light, medium and dark violet, and cream.  The center is yellow, red and green.

On the red one, I used 3 shades of red, light, dark and medium violet, blue, orange and yellow.  The center is also yellow, red and green

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 17,210
Hearadh wrote
on 5 Dec 2013 2:27 AM

Hare in it's winter coat with black tipped ears. Scotland. Water colour

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,723
Points 44,860
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Dec 2013 2:36 AM
Sarah, brrr that looks cold! You did a good job with all the non white whites. The bunny looks like he will bolt any minute so good job at body language too.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 5 Dec 2013 7:20 AM

Sarah, your winter hare is certainly on the look out. You can almost see his nose twitching. He stands out nicely in front of the little bit of greenery. Your slight change of shading colour on the hare really brings him to the front in a painting that is mostly white. Very nice to see a glimpse of Scotland from a hares perspective.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 5 Dec 2013 7:37 AM

Sarah, you shaped the hare very nicely with blues and greens.  He is well camouflaged in that white snow and green grass.  You did the grasses and snow very well.  The snow looks like it isn't pristine anymore and has picked up colors from the environment. Brrrrrrrr! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 5 Dec 2013 7:43 AM

Sam, it's very interesting to see the versions of your poinsettias. Although all are lovely, I'm particularly taken with the original black-and-white one and experiment #2 - the white poinsettia. They are so unexpected and both so beautiful. I love that you're feeling up to creating art again.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 5 Dec 2013 7:46 AM

Sarah, this is such an interesting and good-looking watercolor of the hare in snow. One of the things that makes it distinctive is the range of values you've portrayed in this white landscape.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 17,210
Hearadh wrote
on 5 Dec 2013 9:03 AM

Thank you one and all for the  lovely comments on the hare, very much appreciated....this is the camel with the lettering added...if you can smell onions its because I was cooking just prior to writing the greeting !!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Dec 2013 9:29 AM

Sam and Sarah what beautiful work! I love both poinsettias Sam and like the idea of making copies and experimenting on those. Sarah your hare in the snow has such a wild feeling about it and I like that the light is not so bright as it wouldn't be most winter's days. Your painting of the camel has the most gorgeous colors! The background colors have such a rich oriental feel to them.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 5 Dec 2013 9:59 AM

Sarah, your camel card is lovely.  You certainly have mastered the art of calligraphy and your choice of red is perfect.  I also like the stars and the suggestion of the town of Bethlehem.  He is an elegant looking camel - perfect for a magi.

Page 6 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS