Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 7:11 PM

Fred ~ YAY they went to Planet X!!  Love your shimmering, cool mountains.  Great texture!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 3 Dec 2013 8:59 PM

Hi Fred, I love this piece of intergalactic whimsy! It's nice to know that Bennie and Ruthie have the same Claus we do!

Also, want to correct something I wrote earlier - I mentioned the Chinese moon shot but meant India's Mars mission.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 9:56 PM

Sam, your poinsettia is beautiful. The stippling gives it such an elegant/delicate look. It will be interesting to see what you decide about colour. Although it is very nice white.  I am so pleased that you are able to do your wonderful art again.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 10:06 PM

Cape Spear, the oldest surviving lighthouse in Newfoundland and Labrador. It is located at the most easterly point of land in North America and I really haven’t done it justness.  The brown things are rocks!  Big Rocks!  Don't laugh!  I see that the one rocks is almost as big as the building oh well it is kind of funny.  Done with watercolours.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 406
Points 6,170
NealeyPea wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 10:15 PM

Hi Joyce ~  Don't be done with watercolors!  This is good - I like the sky colors - looks so stormy.  The lighthouse has a perfectly good shape!  I adore lighthouses!!  Maybe the other building could suggest windows, a door?? 

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 3 Dec 2013 10:22 PM

Joyce, don't give up! I assumed the rocks looks big because they were close and the lighthouse was further away, so the size of the rocks seemed all right to me. And I love the gray lighthouse and the pale sky. 

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 10:33 PM

Joyce your lighthouse watercolor is really very unique! I really like this. It's simple shapes and large planes are very nice against the shapes of the sky. Very nice work!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 10:41 PM

Hi to all! 

Fred- both your barn and cabin up north are sweet and the mountains and trees I can only hope someday to do as well.  The snow I love, what kind of gel did you use?  Planet X is see also has Santa cute!

Jen- WOW! Santa and the boy! WOW nice bright colours, I am working a little more with pastels and enjoy it.mmmmm maybe someday I will try something like your painting.  Good job waiting to see the finished copy.  Also late Happy Birthday!

Catherine- your drawing is VERY well done but the mother to me looks sad... 

Lelicia- have a nice trip, I could use a day in bed I haven't feeled good for a few days now and breakfast in bed would be sweet.

Sammy- your poinsittia is fab-u-lus!!!  I've done a couple of pictures with pen and ink and like the look of it.  Now I would love to help you out but it would be a 5th grader helping a university grad.  Welcome back my friend.

Karen- Santa is look'n good his glasses and beard are done well and so is his hat and face so I guess the whole painting is good!!! 

I hope I haven't missed anyone if so I will catch up later. 

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 10:42 PM

I'm not done with watercolour the picture was painted using watercolours sorry about that.  I love using watercolours and someday I will be good at it.

Joyce

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 11:05 PM

Karen, your Santa has the best whites. His hat fur looks like you could reach out and touch it, his mustache has a wonderful curl and his beard has lovely colour giving it texture and depth. Great metal look on the glasses. Well done.

Fred, Santa looks like he is really moving with Rudolph leading the way through the fog/ice crystals. Bennie and Ruthie are lucky to get a rare glimpse of Santa and his reindeer. This is great.

Joyce, I think your light house is lovely. It fits right into the moodiness of the surroundings. The watercolour worked well in creating this atmosphere so I wouldn't give up on them. Hope you are feeling better.  

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 4 Dec 2013 10:15 AM

Joyce, your lighthouse painting has a distinct style which I like a lot.  The yellow in the sky is very nice and harmonizes with the ground.  You did well with the shadows giving the lighthouse and building a 3D look.  Many lighthouses are built on massive rocks.  Yours look fine to me.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 7,455
karend84 wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 12:14 PM

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments on Santa.  I really appreciate them.  This was fun trying to acheive the textures with white.  I think I will try another white pic.

Fred Planet X if fantastic.  I love the brush strokes and color of the rocks.  Your reindeer look like they are flying at high speed.

Joyce I love the clouds on Cape Spear painting.  I agree that the rocks look closer to the viewer and are fine.  Great job.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 726
Points 17,135
Hearadh wrote
on 4 Dec 2013 1:45 PM

Just remembered that I hadn't looked at December's ref. photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lovely selection Sam...something for everyone I should think

and thanks Marsha for your effort on our behalf...just seen the Gallery too.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 4 Dec 2013 2:54 PM

Red Poinsettia.  This is experiment #1.  Colored Pencil on a copy of the pen & ink poinsettia.  It no longer fits into the white category but qualifies for a Christmas subject.

7"x10' colored pencil on card stock

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 4 Dec 2013 3:46 PM

White Poinsettia.  Experiment #2.  Colored Pencil on a copy of the pen & ink poinsettia.  This one fits into the white subject or Christmas subject categories.  I will experiment with wc and inks this weekend.

7"x10" colored pencil on card stock.

Page 5 of 27 (402 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS