Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 5:13 AM

Leticia:  I posted in the wrong place....  yes I did get your email and thank you so much... I replied back.Take lots of pictures on your trip and share with us.

Catherine: what a wonderful start you already have of the Breakfast in Bed....  This does seem like a difficult subject but knowing you ,  you will get it down....  It is a beautiful painting to learn from....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 9:12 AM

Breakfast in Bed is a really lovely painting and I'm going to take my time and enjoy the learning process. No promise I'll have it done by the end of December but we'll see. I'll be doing sketches of some of the other photos so I'll post those as I do them. I worked more on the bed and  night stand this morning and if I can do a little each day I might be done by the end of the month. Using the gouache allows me to layer and work from dark to light, something I'm really enjoying a lot.  I have plenty of the gouache so I might as well learn the ropes using this before moving on to oils or acrylics. I do like the look that oil gives but will need to do that more involved work in my second floor loft room and I'm not ready for all of that yet.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 3 Dec 2013 10:44 AM

I've actually created some art.  The first since February.  This is my second attempt at pen and ink and the entire thing is done with stippling (dots).  I plan to spend a few days experimenting with color to see what I can come up with - colored pencil and watercolor are my main ideas.  I've made a few copies to play with before adding anything to this original.  If anyone has any suggestion, please let me know.

Poinsettia, 7" x 10" on hot pressed watercolor paper. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 11:01 AM

Sam, your pen and ink is GREAT.  i have not tried that yet.  i am looking forward to seeing some thing in color.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,428
Points 44,715
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 11:07 AM

Catherine, good start on the Breakfast on Bed.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 503
Points 7,585
karend84 wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 11:54 AM

Sam, It is great to have you back.  I love the collection of photos for this month.  

Fred, Your winterscapes are wonderful.  

Jen I love your pastel of Santa and the boy.  

Catherine I can't wait to see Breakfast in Bed finished.  You have a fabulous start.

Sam, Your pen and ink is wonderful.  It looks like a lot of tedious work.

I finished a quick of oil of the Santa.  Oil on Strathmore canvas paper.

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 3 Dec 2013 12:02 PM

Charlie and Karen, your comments on my pen & ink poinsettia are very appreciated.  Thank you.

Karen, what a delightful Santa.  It looks like he's resting after a hard night's work.  You handled the white of his hat and beard very well with lots of color and texture.  I like his rosy cheeks. Ho! Ho! Ho! 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 3 Dec 2013 12:13 PM

Wow, Sam! This white poinsettia is exquisite. I'm curious about seeing it in color because I'm actually predisposed to liking the white so much! Even with all your months of recuperation and no art, you haven't lost your touch.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 3 Dec 2013 12:16 PM

Karen, this is such an impressive job on two of the kinds of textures that I find most daunting - fur and hair. You did such a good job with portraying them and defining them in white-on-white. Plus, I love the way you painted the rims and lenses of the glasses.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
Points 10,220
on 3 Dec 2013 12:20 PM

I looooove it!!!   this idea seems just fantastic!  I looove it!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
Points 10,220
on 3 Dec 2013 12:21 PM

Karen, This santa is beautifuuuulll.. I love the beard!! The moustache is incredible!!  remind me of my father's!! :)  love it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
Points 10,220
on 3 Dec 2013 12:26 PM

Catherin!  I have a confession to make... I saw your painting... and I wanted to try mine.. and Ohhh. my God!!  I spent hours and hours and I definitely couldnt achieve what you did.. in fact, the baby's face, became an adult's face, then, a Chinesse with a funny moustache, (mouth) the mother's eyes, looked as if she couldn't understand why such a huge child was lying on top of her... welll.. and a million situations more which became the fun of the afternoon for me!!!  But.... I will never give up... and as you say... I might not finish for this challenge since I have to do a million sketches before the final one!!!  Jajaj... but I will try to get it as good as posible!  ;)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 1:08 PM

:) Yes Leticia, I agree that this one is a challenge for sure. I was working this morning on it and was aprehensive, excited and happy all at the same time! I'm not touching the faces until I've done some sketches of the child's face and the mother's mouth. When I was drawing the child's face I  also had some morphing.  I spent Sunday working on it and it's helpful to use a mechanical pencil to do the drawing as it's easy to make very light lines and also easy to erase away. Also, because the lead is so thin you can't press to hard or the lead will break and that helps you to keep the graphite more on top of the paper and not pushed into the tooth where it's harder to pull out. I have a Pentel® GraphGear 500 Automatic Pencil, Refillable, 0.5mm, Black. I also use a putty eraser.  Regardless of all the work, it's fun and we will grow from it.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,726
Points 44,905
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:39 PM
Catherine, good for you tackling this it is a challenge for sure. Great seeing where you create your art too!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,726
Points 44,905
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 2:44 PM
Yea, Sammy no you have not lost your touch. Have you thought about coloured inks? Might work well for this and they come in all colours. It might take some experimenting. Dick Blick has them.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Page 3 of 27 (402 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS