Challenge #38 - December 2013

This post has 401 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 505
Points 7,880
NealeyPea wrote
on 1 Dec 2013 6:04 PM

Hello Sam!  These are wonderful photos of the holiday and especially like all the "white on white" pics.  Many of these have inspired me and I haven't even done a finished November piece yet - whew!  So many choices!

Jen ~ I knew this was a pastel of yours even without reading!  You have a distinctive way of portraying people - well done, or almost done, I should say!

Fred ~ I'm enjoying your two winterscapes and I'm sure that your bears are happy that it is snowing & they are they are cooling off!

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,456
Points 51,180
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 1 Dec 2013 8:04 PM

Fred, Very nice!!!!

Jen,  I like the boy and Santa.  

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 1 Dec 2013 8:10 PM

Fred, another lovely snow scene.  Your mountains are superb with beautiful colors and textures.  Did you use gel medium for texture again?  The colors in the snow are good, too.  Do I detect a few snow covered trees? 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 1 Dec 2013 10:25 PM

Fred, your bears must be traveling higher up in the mountains with all the snow. The snow on the bushes and in the grass really stands out against the red barn. You always do such a good job of the mountains and I like that there is some little areas of white indicating more snow.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Dec 2013 3:41 AM

Fred...Winter Home has such strong brush strokes and I really like the effect of the shadows in the snow. The colors you've used for the trees are perfect and has such a cold feeling to them. Somewhere a Barn is just as nice and I really like not only the way you've shown the great mass of the mountains but also the great choice of colors for them!

Jen..Santa and the little boy is coming along nicely. I especially like the body language in the little boy.. excitement and uncertainty all at once.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Dec 2013 4:39 AM

I decided to tackle the Challenge photo of Mary Cassatt's Breakfast in Bed. I'm doing it in gouache and this is as far as I've got. I have one layer of the bedding and furniture but have a long way to go. I know once I put the first layer of skin tones in I'm going to loose my construction lines and will be on my own. Not sure how this is going to turn out but only one way to find out. It's aprox. 10x12 and on 90lb. mixed media paper.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 2 Dec 2013 7:05 AM

Catherine, good for you to try this. It is such a lovely painting but difficult I would think. It is coming along very nicely. I will be looking forward to it's development.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 2 Dec 2013 9:33 AM

Catherine, kudos to you for choosing such a difficult subject.  You have a great start and I'm eager to see the completion. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 2 Dec 2013 2:08 PM

Fred, this is another excellent example of painting with whites and the red barn gives it a pop of color.

Catherine, this is a wonderful start to the painting if the mother and child in bed - what an inspiring painting to work from!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
Points 10,220
on 2 Dec 2013 4:44 PM

Hi Mrs. Marsha!  Just checking if you had got my mail!  Thanks!! :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
Points 10,220
on 2 Dec 2013 5:42 PM

Hi Mrs. Sam! I am very glad to see you back and posting photos for the challenge !! Great!!! These photos are wonderful and as you say, we have to observe the whites!!! So beautiful and so subtle!! I also love the photos of the pastels by Cassatt and Monet, in fact, I want to share with all, that this December holidays I will be going to Mexico City exclusively to visit the Dolores Olmedo museum, which is exhibiting masters from the museum De L'Orangerie from Paris, I will of course try to take pictures, if allowed, and tell you all my experience. They are showing Monet, Manet, Modigliani, and lots of other paintings from the impressionist time!!! Can't wait to go!! 

Well, now I will focus on trying to do the "breakfast in bed" sketch and draft... Let's see what comes out!!l have a wonderful evening 

Leticia. 

Ps. We all can check the Dolores Olmedo museum in the web... 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 2 Dec 2013 6:25 PM

Oh, Leticia, that sounds like a fantastic trip.   Impressionism is such fabulous art and you should see some wonderful pieces.  Have a great trip and be sure to let us know all about it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 2 Dec 2013 8:36 PM

Leticia, I second Sam's comment. How wonderful that you're going to be seeing Impressionist masters over the holidays! Please be sure to tell us about it afterward.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 5:01 AM

Fred:  your winter scenes are always so wonderful to look at.   burrrr....  you have a great way of capturing snow, desert, mountains, mars, jupiter, saturn, venus, and earth.... and buildings....  My hat is always tipped to you....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2013 5:08 AM

Jen:   wow!  you got a jump start on the Santa...   but as everyone has already said,   the skin tones, the expressions of the child as well as Santa are super.   Look forward to seeing the finished piece....   you are so good with those oils.   It is certainly a happy piece....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Page 2 of 27 (402 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS