Ideas for a beginner on learning how to draw

This post has 7 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 65
EttaBowen wrote
on 7 Nov 2013 1:40 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Etta Bowen and i have a question for all you artists out there in the world but my question is what do i have to learn on how to be a better artist on how to draw any advice from all of you guys out there i just want to be a better artist so i can add pictures in my sketch book but in it i don't have any drawings what so ever.

sincerely, Etta Bowen

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 376
Points 5,805
on 8 Nov 2013 12:42 PM

You want to become a better artist, and you want advise on how to draw.  You really just need to draw, period - do your best at something, it doesn't really matter what.  See how it turns out.  Post it, if there is something specific about the drawing process you had a problem with, write down what it was on your post.  If you want a critique on the drawing as a whole, you can ask for that too.  You can look at some of the material that is on this site to get some very good information on drawing (free downloads).  There are many, many books that you can check out on Amazon and Northlight Books if you wish, and you can find DVD's on just about any artistic subject you may wonder about.  PBS often has programs that have artists painting and instructing, check out your local station.  I wish you well.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 4,825
on 8 Nov 2013 2:36 PM

Etta—

I agree with Valerie.

I keep repeating this—you learn to draw by drawing. Draw as often as you can. Keep all of your drawings and date them on the back. Over a period of three or four months you will see a great improvement. Remember that drawing should always be fun. 

Study the work of artists you admire. As Valerie suggested, pick up a good book on the fundamentals of drawing and use it as a work book. 

Much of learning how to draw is learning the basic guidelines, plus improving the coordination between your hand and eye. I have always believed that it is good to draw from photo reference. This is especially true at the beginning stages of learning to draw.

Best of luck—

Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 235
dutch888 wrote
on 11 Nov 2013 3:21 PM

learn how to shade and blending the shades. It will bring out a lot of realism in the drawing. Worry about adding color later. Work from lightest to darkest. You may have to go over the drawing several times before it starts to look good.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Points 1,995
on 5 Feb 2014 9:06 PM

Hi Etta,

It's also very important to draw what you love.  If you love flowers,draw flowers.  If you love cars, draw cars.  Don't draw something just because you think that's what you should be drawing.  The key to drawing is learning how to see, and how to translate what you see onto the paper, and you can do that with anything, as long as you can see it!  I tell my students to pick something they like and draw it over and over again.  The 100th one will definitely be better than the first.  Good luck!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
billycamryn wrote
on 14 May 2014 12:27 AM

Practice will make you perfect! It is very important to practice Sketching for beginners.You can use tutorials and videos from web. I would suggest you http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-lessons/free-art-instruction-videos.html for free Online video's for tutorial from Professional artists.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
on 21 Jul 2014 7:42 AM

Etta, this is what I teach my students and it really works. Get a sketchbook, and then get an object you would really like to draw. On Monday draw that object as best as you can. On Tuesday draw it again as best as you can. On Wednesday you do the same. Every day you date your drawing. After a week, on the next Monday look at your previous efforts and you will be surprised at the improvement between the first day's drawing and the sixth day's drawing. Carry on doing this, always picking something to draw that you would not mind drawing over and over again for a week. This technique I call the 'trainer wheels'. Soon you will discover that you can take off those wheels and do proper, good, drawings. The message is simple - practise makes perfect!

Andre

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
giospro wrote
on 14 Aug 2014 7:16 PM

Learn the Basics, circles, squares etc, then start to shade them (Your light source) while watching TV, draw the TV, your Chair and so on, go out side and start to draw tree's, animals but learn the basics (2D- perspective)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS