Help with background ideas, please!!

This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
Peggyjudd wrote
on 3 Nov 2013 5:55 PM

Oil on canvas. I'm at a loss as to what to do with the background on this painting. My original photo has a turquoise carpet and white wall. I'm also not sure what to do with the jeans that seem to just....end. Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 990
kjw1980 wrote
on 3 Nov 2013 8:47 PM

I think you should try and at least add the torso if you can. The hands and arms would be more difficult but the white shirt should not be too hard for you. You did an excellent job on the jeans and the dog. I would try and make it just like the picture as much as you can. If you feel it is done then just add some color to the background and call it good. It is an excellent painting.

Kris

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 5,815
on 8 Nov 2013 12:15 PM

You could think about making the background very dark and fade the dark into the jeans, and darken the jeans overall.  This way it would highlight the dog and his position.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 581
Points 5,005
on 9 Nov 2013 11:29 AM

Peggy—

Once again, I agree with Valerie.

As Valerie mentioned, the background should be on the darker side. The background in the photo reference is close—perhaps a little darker. I also think the jeans should be a little darker. The top part of the picture—from the knees up on the jeans and the distant carpet—should have a darker cast than the immediate foreground.

I think the top cropping of the picture should come down some, keeping the emphasis on the dog. From what I can see, you have done an excellent job on this so far. 

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 195
ceekay23 wrote
on 13 Nov 2013 2:16 AM

Lovely painting.  I agree with other comments and keep the emphasis on the dog and jeans by cropping the top.  Some shadows around the feet and under the dog would help too.  Otherwise the whole pic looks suspended in thin air!  Keep up the good work

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
Peggyjudd wrote
on 16 Nov 2013 4:32 PM

This is what I've done so far. I plan to darken the floor on the right side. What do you think?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 581
Points 5,005
on 16 Nov 2013 6:57 PM

Hi Peggy—

Please go to "Help With Backgrounds Please!!!" in this Forum. I posted a visual suggestion to you. I posted it wrong and it came up as a new thread.

I took the liberty of making a Photoshop retouching of your painting. My retouching is very rough but it gives you a visual of the suggestions I made earlier. This suggestion also also involves cropping into the picture slightly. 

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
Peggyjudd wrote
on 26 Nov 2013 5:22 PM

This is the finished piece. Thank you all for your great feedback!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 990
kjw1980 wrote
on 26 Nov 2013 5:45 PM

It looks great! You did a very nice job with it.

Kris

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS