Challenge #37 - November 2013

This post has 498 Replies | 21 Followers rated by 5 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 13 Nov 2013 5:52 PM

Fred the bears are so cute I didn't know you could mix acrylic with watercolor.  Did you do the watercolor sky first or last?  Nice job on the trees.

Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 13 Nov 2013 6:10 PM

My lasted which I was going to use as my Christmas card but it didn't turn out all that good.  All comments welcome.  I brought some oil paints and tried them out.  I do like working with oils, easier than watercolours.   

I was thinking of adding some snow to the trees but then with the green background thought it wouldn't look right.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 13 Nov 2013 6:12 PM

Fred, this painting of the woodcarver and his young apprentice is one of your most charming paintings. I love it!

Marsha, is it the sleigh full of gifts that is the new photo? Very pretty!

Catherine, I hope you'll consider posting some of your lovely holiday paintings that are based on this month's reference photos in this stream so the people who participate in the November challenge get to see them!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 13 Nov 2013 6:25 PM

Hi Joyce, I don't know much about oils, but once they dry can you paint over them to change the things you don't care for?  (I'm not sure what you're not pleased with ... To me, this painting is definitely a pretty holiday card subject.) I do like the idea of snow, although it is your choice whether or not to add it. Last year we had snow here and the evergreen trees outside my windows were quite green under the touches of snow - a little darker green than the green in your painting.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 13 Nov 2013 6:45 PM

Joyce, this is a great start with your Oil painting of a cardinal....   I might suggest you converse with Jen, she is quite good with oil painting.   It will be fun to watch how it comes along....

ALEX: YUP.....   you found it...  this would be another great one for your style...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 10,090
karend84 wrote
on 13 Nov 2013 9:57 PM

I sent friend requests tonight to everyone.  If I missed anyone please send a request to me.  I look forward to the card exchange and hope I can figure or how to print.

Marsha, I am working on your pic of Nosey.  I love his/her colors.  Hope I can complete it soon and maybe do another from the challenge

I will comment on all the great post when I am home at the computer.  Hard to do from my phone 

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 13 Nov 2013 11:05 PM

Joyce, good for you giving the oil paints a try. I really like your painting and don't think there would be any problem with adding the snow if you want. Your cardinal is very nice, good shape and colour and the green background is lovely.  

Marsha, great new photo of the sleigh and presents. It is a great addition for the challenge.

Fred, your bear carvers are so good. Love the idea and the painting.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,595
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 12:32 AM
Fred, I love the woodcarving father and son. Very sweet. JOYCE, you can put snow on the branches as long as you don't think just white. Maybe a touch of green in it picked up from the bg. Just a few touches on the branches with thicker paint. If you don't like it just scrape it off again.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 856
Points 19,380
Hearadh wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 7:06 AM

I have to apply the greeting to this one...the red ink cartriges for my calligraphy pen have just arrived today...anyway this is  'Wait for me.'   Watercolour on Bockingford

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 856
Points 19,380
Hearadh wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 7:23 AM

Hello Bonny and Cindy...just can't keep up with the uploads...both works very appealing.

Hello Joyce.....you can underpaint in acrylic (thinly with water) and then paint on top with  oils (any mistakes are easy to correct especially if you are painting in a smooth finish).

Snow...agree it isn't always white...in fact it reflects the colours above and around it...therefore your Cardinal bird's red colour would make the snow on the branch look a pale pink (if you decide to paint snow!!!). Use Titanium white if you do.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 58
Points 1,295
mattb25 wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 2:44 PM

Hello everybody. I am new to this website. I was reading the challenge for this month and thought I would give it a shot. Unfortunately, the picture that I am working on is a compositional nightmare and I need some help with placement of objects from the reference photos into my drawing. This picture is being done with the use of markers and I cannot afford to make a mistake because there is no correcting marker. LOL! Anyways, if you have any suggestions before I continue with this I would love to hear them. I realize that not everything from all the reference photos can be used but I sure would like to try and I will need some help doing so. Thank you- Matt

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 3:26 PM

Hello Matt and a warm welcome to you....  firstly ,   thank you for being a police officer (retired)...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your painting....   it is amazing... I've tried incorporating different photo elements into one painting and you have done a SPLENDID job formatting it.    I cant see anywhere I would change anything at this point.   how big is the piece.   We do have a few teachers amongst us that can give you assistance with technique, but I love the overall layout you have put together.   do you have a way of inserting the picture in a larger format.   that way when we click on it it opens bigger.   You have an appealing technique and good for you to mix your own colors.   You will have a good time here in ]Artist Daily, and we hope you join us with the Christmas card exchange....   I love the placements of the penguin, Polar Bear, North Pole into a coat rack is darling, the horse and sleigh as a picture on the back wall, My Nosey cat and bass in the background I love.   the cardinal and lamp post, My bear George in the wagon, the bright copper kettles on the tree and the carvers bench the carvings and the Santa , the candles in the window.   I don't see the cookies .   remember to put the reflection of the balls into the copper kettle, you will have to use your imagination for that.  what am I looking at in the lower left of the drawing.  This is a very very industrious painting and drawing and I absolutely love it.   I just added a sleigh with packages that could be parked behind the penguins or the back side of it behind the lamp post.   you certainly have made me a happy camper....... don't forget yellow and red make orange....   again I love your imagination......  oh .... and the Holly on top of the North Pole coat rack...

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 3:33 PM

Matt ,    This reminds me of Jen's Halloween adventure..... which she did in oil I believe....

You have turned all of the photos into a wonderful Christmas story.....exactly as I tried to portray with the photos.... again  I love it.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 3:35 PM

Sarah:    This is Gorgeous,,,,  and the title is so endering. I love the tracks in the snow and you can see where they had just left before he got there late....   this is sooooo    darling and of coarse you technique it always the best.  

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Nov 2013 3:38 PM

Karen, I can't wait so see the picture of Nosey....  I sent you some ideas for making a card so I am going to post the same instructions on the challenge post for anyone that may want to use any of the suggestions.  I got your address and it is put into my little Artist Daily Address book... my special book....for special folks.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Page 12 of 34 (499 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS