Time-Lapse Landscape Painting - would love critique!

This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 105
on 18 Oct 2013 6:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Artist Daily - as an artist for over 20 years, I've worked in a variety of mediums, and just started to do my own YouTube channel. I am working on honing what works/what doesn't, and would love some feedback! Looking forward to being part of this community :)

Check out my video to critique here

You can see more of my work here (on my website) -also open to critique!

Thanks so much,

Jasmine

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 74
Points 935
kjw1980 wrote
on 22 Oct 2013 5:17 AM

I really like your color choices. Your abstracts are my favorite. A few of your Seascapes look expressionistic and abstract and to me are better than the others because they are not the every day mundane paintings you see. A few of the city scapes are awesome especially the one that looks like snow is falling. I can't give any real advice because I am just a beginner. Your paintings look really nice hanging on the wall. I don't know if this would help but it would look a little better if the paintings were centered with the couch for all the pictures,

Kris

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 400
jayarkay wrote
on 18 Dec 2013 12:03 PM

I'd like to know more about this painting Jasmine. I assume from your video that you were using acrylics but it could have been premixed oil.
Background would also help, did you start with any sources, such as photographs for instance?
Did you do any preliminary sketches or tone studies beforehand or did you work straight from your imagination?
The colours are very effective indeed, the harmony is very good and the tree shapes are convincing.
The composition is central and I'm afraid that the great emphasis shown by the strong movement towards the horizon leads disappointingly to an empty space.
This could be much better thought out and you could really profit from studying the rules of composition.
If it would help, you can read my little book on Composition on line. Go to:

Into Composition

I hope this will help.

John

http://www.millrind.co.uk

http://issuu.com/jayarkay/docs

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 105
on 18 Dec 2013 1:12 PM

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply! The painting was done with acrylic, and was honestly just a quick study done from a photograph. The empty space is a definite issue, and I agree that more thought into the composition would have been very helpful. I will definitely take a look at your book. Once again, I appreciate the feedback!

Best,
Jasmine 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 485
Points 3,700
on 18 Dec 2013 2:29 PM

Jasmine—

Your paintings are full of life, energy and good color.

I believe this is the time for you to take the next steps towards becoming the excellent artist that I think you can become. I agree with John that you should spend more time working on the composition—the design—of a picture. I've always believed that it is in the small, preliminary composition-sketches that a good painting is created.

Invest time in working out several composition studies, small pencil sketches. Study the work of artists you admire. Invest time in making preliminary drawings, exploring the many possibilities of a subject.

Paul

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
on 29 Dec 2013 4:05 PM

Hdy Jasmine! Great job on your painting! I do a lot of time lapse/speed paints on my channel, the only advise I can think to give is your camera position. Your art is beautiful by the way.  The thing I love about being a digital artist is the ability to record my computer screen instead of setting up a camera and worry about focus or my head or body being in the shot.  But the best position I have found to work for painting on canvas would be directly nextor above the left sholder if you are a right handed artist. That way people can see just your hand and arm in the painting and can see the subtle details you are laying in. 

I find this is purely just an area of preference for each artist:0) So if you found this advice useful then I am glad to offer it. Otherwise it was a really good video and beautiful art.

Tim Michael

TimMichaelArts.com

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 105
on 1 Jan 2014 2:42 PM

Thank you Tim!! I really appreciate the advice - I'll definitely give the camera position a try and see if that helps with creating a better viewing experience. Much appreciated!

Best,
Jasmine 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 105
on 1 Jan 2014 2:47 PM

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I definitely agree that working out composition is essential, and I have started exploring ways to do this more effectively. Color is one of my favorite things about painting, however, I know that excellence lay in details and attention to how each aspect of the painting works together as a whole. I will definitely be focusing more on these concepts in moving forward. 

Once again, thank you for the kind words - your art is absolutely incredible, and I appreciate the advice.

Best,
Jasmine

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
on 3 Jan 2014 11:28 AM

Hello Jasmine:

This is a really nice site that you have.  I like the paintings of cities and the color that you use in these pieces of art.  Thanks for sharing them with us. 

Regards

Rod

http://galeriasdearte.org

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS