Bargue Drawing Course

This post has 23 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
DaleA2 wrote
on 18 Jul 2009 7:52 PM

Thanx Daniel, I've just purchased "Classical Painting Atelier" by Juliette Aristides and its a wonderful book, I was just going to order the Drawing one too. The first book I've read that introduced me to the classical style was "The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing" by Anthony Ryder and I was hooked and decided that this was the approach I wanted to take. Your advice on the charcoal is very helpful and I will purchase some Vine charcoal as the Bargue coarse suggests.

Not surprisingly there is a "returning to the classical way" renaissance that more and more artists and art lovers are looking for these days. Its a tradition and information that has been passed down from artist to artist for hundreds of years and it just feels good to continue in. I get excited when I get to talk to other artists that feel the same way. I really wanted to go to the Gage Academy of Art in Seattle or Anthony Ryders school but it was just impractical for me (even though I might take a few workshops at the Gage Academy). I guess I'm just going to do the best I can to learn from books and DVDs and its great to find others doing the same thing. I find these Forums very helpful and a place we can share what we've learned so far, they're also one of the best resources to help us find the info we need.

Cheers!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Points 1,605
DanielH wrote
on 18 Jul 2009 10:33 PM

Hi Dale,

I've just posted a new article on "The Home-Based Atelier" on how to sharpen vine charcoal, with pictures included. Be sure to check it out.

Yes, there is definitely a trend moving back to the more traditional approach to fine art, and it is a very welcome trend, indeed! I think that people like ourselves are poised to benefit from doing what we love if we devote the time and energy needed to really hone our skills. I'm so thankful for all of the resources that are becoming available now. All the best to you as you search out new info to guide you!

- Daniel

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
DaleA2 wrote
on 19 Jul 2009 6:59 AM

Hi Daniel,

I've book-marked your website and will frequent it often, thank you again for posting the link. I think it will be fantastic to see how you progress with the Bargue course and I hope to see more on your painting projects, love your work so far!

Enjoy the proccess!

-Dale

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 210
Botiart wrote
on 27 Jul 2009 9:34 AM

I have resently bought and started the Bargue-Gerome drawing course as well, and I am in the starting stages as well, although i am not using charcoal but HB-2b pencils until i get to the more complicated drawings on which i will probably switch to charcoal.

It is an amazing experience that's for sure, although i am doing it by myself so they do have some blemishes. I am posting my progress as i go along in my blog.

happy to see im not the only one doing this.

http://botiart.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Points 1,605
DanielH wrote
on 29 Jul 2009 8:51 AM

Hi Botiart - glad to see you're joining in on the Bargue fun! I had a look at your blog - you're moving much faster than I am. Keep up the good work!

- Dan

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 210
Botiart wrote
on 29 Jul 2009 9:01 AM

i checked your blog out as well, good advise on charcoal.

let's all keep striving towards our goal of great art.

have fun!!

http://botiart.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,049
Points 15,060
j.b2 wrote
on 29 Jul 2009 4:37 PM

When I took the course I had a night job that was 15 minutes of work, then 45 minutes of waiting.

A perfect chance to bring a drawing pad and work through the book. Nobody was around the entire evening and I was paid to draw in a sence..

The course really helped me pay attention to what I was putting on paper. In addition I was drawing 2 nights a week from the model so that really helped...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
L Forshaw wrote
on 12 Sep 2011 1:59 PM

I'm a new student at the Academy of Realist Art in Toronto, Canada, where we are drawing the Bargue plates as part of our curriculum. 

For anyone seriously interested in the Bargue Drawing Course,  I highly recommend  "The Bargue Drawing Companion DVD, produced by our head instructor, Fernando Freitas.  It covers all the essentials of measurement and rendering of form, plus it also includes printable pages of course notes. 

Fernando is a master at drawing 'the Bargue'.  This DVD, makes the companion a particularly useful reference, because you get to watch his superior skill at drawing.

http://academyofrealistart.com/dvd.html

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
riman wrote
on 14 Mar 2012 7:27 PM

Hello DanielH,

What scanner did you use to scan the plates? I have a flatbed scanner, but the book is very thick, I am afraid I might damage the binding or the book might damage the scanner because it is heavy. Can you write an article (with pictures) on your blog about how you scan the plates, please? Did you print them at a print shop or print them yourself? If you printed them yourself, what printer did you use?

Thank you very much.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS