Gouache Painters

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 195
COusley622 wrote
on 28 Aug 2013 12:07 PM

Just wanted to say hello to fellow gouache painters. Of course Windsor Newton is my favorite gouaches. I do use use Da Vinci brand Titanium white as it performs very well and is much less in price compared to WN White. I like to use gouache on toned paper and sketchbooks. Here are a couple things,

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 195
COusley622 wrote
on 28 Aug 2013 12:12 PM

Road in Cannon County Tennessee

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 255
on 29 Aug 2013 5:51 PM

Never knew how to use gouache, it does sound interesting, and I wonder why it is not tought more, I very rarely see an "How to..." with this medium and mostly remember it as usedc in classrooms of my (long ago) childhood

Any suggestion where to find somme "net" instructions?   

s. steiner

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 195
COusley622 wrote
on 30 Aug 2013 9:07 PM

Selina,

I am basically self taught on gouache from pre web days. I looked at the old illustrator's work. I just entered "gouache tutorial" in google a minute ago and a lot of good resources popped up. Remember, it dries a value or so darker.

Check out your google search and practice! :-)

CO

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 400
jayarkay wrote
on 11 Dec 2013 11:37 AM

Interestingly historically, perhaps as early as Georgian times and until the time of the Norwich School, watercolour was not deemed to be permanent enough for the professional although many professionals used it. Certainly the pigments were very largely fugitive except for the earth colours.

To a large extent the addition of white pigment, thereby making them into Gouache colours did add to their resistance to fading and many artists used them as a matter of course. Unlike some purists will pontificate today it was not thought to be wrong to add white paint to a watercolour and many prominent watercolourists did so without apology or criticism.

Painters have always been practical people and if it works, then that's good enough, the term "mixed media" is a comparatively modern one.

John

http://www.millrind.co.uk

http://issuu.com/jayarkay/docs

• Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS