Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 26 Aug 2013 9:24 PM

Burano, Italy.

Acrylic on canvas.  60 cm x 50 cm.

Sonia

Comments & critique will always be welcome & appreciated!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 77
Points 960
kjw1980 wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 2:27 AM

I like it. The reflection in the water is good. The buildings seem like they could use a little more character even if it is made up. Some of the buildings look old and have character while others look like they have a fresh paint job. Maybe that is what you are going for though. Something seems a little off with the shutters on the red building to the far right. The boats and sidewalk are all really good. The water could be, I don't really know how to say it but more water like.

As I said at first I like it and I hope some of what I said can help you. If not please take it with a grain of salt.

Kris

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 31 Aug 2013 11:21 PM

Hi Kris,

Thank you for your comments - like you I am a bit concerned about the water, but not sure how to fix it.  This is the photo (taken last year while on holiday) that I was working from.

Regards,

Sonia

Sonia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 384
Points 5,885
on 1 Sep 2013 3:51 PM

You have an appealing painting.  A few things you may want to look at relative to the water - the dock line (or water line) in between the two boats and by 'sidewalk' should be darker under the white, look at your reference, this area looks quite dark, if you darken this area your reflections and water would pop even more.  You should look at adding a ripple effect to the white reflections of the window and door in the water, also adjust the top line of the window a bit in the water.  

Look at the reflection of the boat, it appears much darker in your reference than you have shown in your painting, (and I think too you could darken the red on the boat next to the dark at the front of the boat and darken the area under the top white line at the front of the boat. Darkening the boat reflection would highlight your water and reflections on the water side of the boat.  I am looking at your painting and not the photograph right now, but check out the line right under the boat to see if you should leave the lighter edge on the water the boat is on - my mind's eye says it should be there that it may indicate the water hitting the boat.  

You are lucky you are painting with acrylics in that if you decide to modify anything it is relatively easy to do so.  One thing that I do if I am contemplating a colour change is to cut out a piece of paper that would be similar to the colour I want to change to, to see if it would solve the problem, so if you cut out a piece of black paper about the size of that area between the two boats and in front of the 'sidewalk', you would see if that would help your painting or not, ditto the reflection of the boat in the water in a colour the same as the darkest part of your boat reflection now.  You could also darken with charcoal and then wipe off with a slightly damp kleenex.

Check your reference and see if there are any wavy lines that show in the water's reflection - like that white building - you could highlight areas of your reflection with a small line or two of muddied white a little lighter than what you have, this should should movement in the water.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 77
Points 960
kjw1980 wrote
on 2 Sep 2013 5:43 AM

That is a fantastic photo! I can't imagine how fun it would be to vacation in a place that beautiful. I love all of the colors of the buildings. You have done a heck of a nice job capturing the view. Valerie has given some wonderful advice on how to adjust the water. The movement is most important. It does not have to match the picture to a T but without the movement it just does not look right.

Kris

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 2 Sep 2013 7:33 PM

Thanks Valerie for your suggestions - I will work on this & see what happens.

Regards,

Sonia.

Sonia

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 20 Sep 2013 11:49 PM

Hi Valerie & Kris,

After following your suggestions, I think this is a bit better. 

Sonia.

Sonia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 77
Points 960
kjw1980 wrote
on 22 Sep 2013 9:13 PM

Nice job! The water has some movement to it now. Congrats!!

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 24 Sep 2013 5:43 AM

thanks Kris. Sonia.

Sonia

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 145
on 25 Sep 2013 8:52 AM

It does seem like you have spent more time on the water and reflections than the buildings for example. I would like to see more detail on them..  But I really like the simplicity and color palette. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
diana bonham wrote
on 3 Oct 2013 2:51 PM

Valerie, your suggestions to Just Finished are impressive. It's those "little things" that can make a big difference. Your comments are clear and easy to follow. They are also a good reminder for me when I am painting!

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 4 Oct 2013 6:54 PM

Thank you for your comments.  Did you have a look at the photo that I used for this painting?  The colours of the buildings are the same, but a I have made them a little brighter & are fairly much the same in detail.  Burano is such an interesting place to visit.

Sonia

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 10
on 2 Aug 2014 10:17 PM

Ive been here!  FANTASTIC

Barona Island Venice. I am about to start a painting using some of the pictures I took while on holiday there last year. Ive been researching painting techniques to paint the buildings. Fabulous colours are used to paint the buildings but I wasnt sure how to achieve the "look" using acrylics. How did you start. I am a keen learner.

Thanks in advance. PS I have been encouraged by your painting.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
smack644 wrote
on 28 Aug 2014 6:49 PM

You did an amazing job.  I saw a picture similar to this on the web and tried painting it.  Yours is much better than mine.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 850
callista2 wrote
on 28 Aug 2014 7:27 PM

Thanks for your comments.  I really loved Burano & just had to paint it.  I started with a fairly detailed drawing & blocked in approximate colours (some colours are straight from the tube) then adjusted until I was happy with it. Getting the reflections right was probably the hardest. Since posting it, I have decided to repaint the bottom left corner, as it now seems a little bare (not done yet). 

I wish you happy painting & look forward to seeing your work. 

Kind regards to all,

Sonia.

Sonia

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS