First Painting Ever, Any Good?

This post has 29 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
Tdubya wrote
on 29 Sep 2013 3:01 AM

The painting with the strong blue lines has good tonal depth in the use of dark to lighter colours. It looks almost 3D in that you can go into the picture and move around the scene.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 3,980
ArtDork wrote
on 29 Sep 2013 6:56 PM

kjw, I like the color combinations of each of your paintings.  Each one is visually stimulating.  I'm really glad I found your paintings posted!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 990
kjw1980 wrote
on 30 Sep 2013 11:05 PM

Thank you both. I will share more soon. I hope to see more of your works as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 80
on 1 Oct 2013 10:31 AM

I love vibrant abstract pieces like this, well done

My Art Portfolio - like or leave me a comment :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 990
kjw1980 wrote
on 17 Oct 2013 5:39 PM

Thank you all again for commenting on my abstracts. I have started practicing drawing some. I really like comic books so I have been practicing on some characters like Hulk. None are worthy of showing here but when I get something I feel proud of I will share it. I have not been doing any painting the last few weeks.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 587
Points 5,125
on 17 Oct 2013 6:45 PM

kjw—

I really like your paintings. I think 005.jpg is the best of the group for a number of reasons. The color is good in all of the work but 005 has a nice feeling of design. There is a dominate pattern that gives the painting a strong look beyond color and texture.

For an initial group of paintings these are very good.

Paul

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 990
kjw1980 wrote
on 18 Oct 2013 1:50 AM

Thank you Paul. 005 is one of my favorites and I understand what you mean about it having a feeling of design. I will try to do something similar for the next round.

Kris

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 65
on 24 Oct 2013 6:39 AM

its seems to be good..... Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 290
MeganJo215 wrote
on 15 Apr 2014 12:57 PM

This is my favorite. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 3 May 2014 8:30 PM

Hi,

I think this is the direction you should go in.  Frankly, I didn't like it UNTIL I saw the text.  Love it!

I would avoid making too many "X's" in the middle of your paintings.  This can sometimes subliminally urge the viewer to dismiss the picture (in other words, it "crosses out" the picture).

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 3 May 2014 8:33 PM

note:  I was referring to the "back of the amp" piece

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 990
kjw1980 wrote
on 4 May 2014 4:13 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement.

I have dismantled the amp but still have all of the circuit, knobs, switches etc.. in place. I just removed the speaker and tried to strip the cabinet. I kept the back painting with everything attached because I plan on redoing the clock case to match it someday. Next time I will put a speaker grille in.

Painting the speaker started as an accident, after I saw the paint on the speaker I just went with it. It was cool looking at one time but I ruined the painting by adding too much. I had several different versions, one almost matched the back but I kept adding colors and that was a mistake it is hard to know when to stop.

I agree the X's are no good and I was not going for that look it was an accidental slip of the paint stick with too wet of paint. then I tried to cover it up with others but that did not help anything, it just created the x and extra lines.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 165
516 wrote
on 4 May 2014 6:50 PM

Hi,

I should clarify that I like the crossing lines on the (speaker ?) ("158").  I think in that case it works great, because the crossing lines are different colors... and the way the lines are situated in the middle of the speaker, radiating outward, expresses the idea of sound being emitted from the speaker, which is fantastic.  (...or is that the clock??  either way, I think it works)

The crossing lines that don't work for me are in the painting, ".005."  the blue lines really read as an "X," but this could be easily remedied, I think, simply by adding other colors on top.  You can do that with these pictures because the more texture, the better -- and you are able to add a lot of color without muddying things up, which is great.  So that's not a problem at all.

But the beauty of your work really comes out of your sense of playfulness, and interest in the objects themselves, so I don't think there's any need for you to analyze it too much.  I think the more fun you have with it, the better it is.

I enjoyed seeing your pictures -- thanks :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
IvanP wrote
on 16 Aug 2014 1:28 PM

Very nice pollok approach, keep painting like that, copy as much of him,

once you feel comfortable doing it began adding your own, try some smear like Gerhard Richter. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 990
kjw1980 wrote
on 16 Aug 2014 10:58 PM

Thank you. I will try the smear method sometime. I have watched youtube videos showing him painting and felt inspired, I just don't have the proper equipment yet.

Kris

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS