shiny spot on painting

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 455
on 7 Jul 2013 2:07 PM

I started a new 35"x28"painting 3 weeks ago using solvent in the initial layers, then switched to liquin.  This last week I started using some linseed oil.  The painting is looking good except for one area of about 4 inches square that is so shiny when looked at from an angle that it has to be fixed and I'm lost as to how I got that and how to fix it.  The majority of the picture is of water and this spot is in part of a boat reflection.  Is there a way to reduce this excessive shine?  I like some sheen on the picture, it's more lively, but this is so obvious that it sticks out like a sore thumb.  I don't know what I did wrong or how to correct it.  Someone please help!!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,174
Points 51,060
Margo5 wrote
on 7 Jul 2013 4:19 PM

I would love to know the answer to that one myself. Wish I could help. Is the area you are talking about dark, mid-tone or light? Did you possibly use more linseed oil in that area? Thinner paint in that area?

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 455
on 8 Jul 2013 2:53 PM

Thanks for replying, but I can't remember what exactly I did in that area of the painting.  The water is predominantly cerulean blue.  I'm pretty new at this, and still trying to figure out all the different paints so maybe it has enough oil content in it and I've gone ahead and added linseed that might have caused the excessive shine?  Do you think if I just repainted the area with paint right out of the tube and no linseed oil it would cover it? I was using Liquin and have not been to thrilled with it so switched to the linseed but I don't remember if I may have used liquin in that area of the painting first before I switched to linseed in the next layers.  Is that possibly a problem, using linseed over liquin? or have you ever done that. Have another ? too.  I noticed spots on the back of the canvas, like mould maybe.  I live in Mexico.  Can I paint the back of the canvas with an acrylic paint or oil paint to seal it or should the painting "breathe" from the back?   Well thanks in advance for helping with my questions?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 30
ncartco wrote
on 22 Oct 2013 7:35 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Linseed oil is more in that area.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
lauranook wrote
on 26 Oct 2013 4:41 PM

hi, In my opinion this has been caused by putting linseed over liquin as liquin has chemical additives for quick drying and putting oil over the top has caused an intereaction.  personally I would strip off this area and paint as you have with linseed oil or paint from the tube.  cerulean isnt usually oily but I have found drier.    good luck from Australia

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS