Challenge # 33 - July 2013

This post has 523 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 7:23 AM

Geri, great job on the floor mill storage bin. I also like that the vehicles give the viewer an understanding of the massive scale of these structures. You have captured lovely light in this painting. Nicely done.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 12:15 PM

GERI:  very very nice,  I like the blend of color on the Silo's,  and you did indeed capture the size by the smallness of the auto's .   the sky makes for a warm mid-west afternoon.  I really like it,   super job.   I would only have one tiny suggestion.  maybe ground the vehicles a bit and add a cast shadow on the caboose rail car. (at least that's what I think it is) ..  the little car on the right reminds me of a little Nash metropolitan... tee hee......

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,521
Points 24,405
Berkenstock wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 12:23 PM

Thank you Marsha.  I didn't evan think about the shadows.  Good call.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 2:31 PM
Kim I love your Sp's. Always fun to look back at ourselves and look at the fashions too. You were really good at art in High School already. I really like the latest one with the dots of colour too. It is really well done and I see you haven't changed much over the years. GERRI, You have done a fine job on the old silo. I agree the cars give it perspective.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 4:02 PM

Thought I had replied before re. my SPs, but now see I only got to Alex's c/c. Sorry about that. Things here have been hectic so have been "away" w/o having gone anywhere to show for it.  :(  
Nealey, Bonnie, Geri, Claudia, and Jen, I very much apprec. your comments as well. Alex, you had mentioned before about my old SP looking grey, which I attributed to the pencil media, but later I realized that the paper was actually a light grey (linen stationery), so you were more perceptive than I was. ;) Jen, I used to ditch Gym class in HS to go to art...hence, time for art practice and getting that art start in HS.

Geri - Yes Agree with the nice color/lighting on the silos. Nice to see this added to the Chall. collection. The subj. was a good one too.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 6:32 PM

Geri ~ Good for you for finishing a July UFO!!  (Un-Finished-Object)  You portrayed the immense size well, as others said.  I like that you painted a scene before it is gone forever.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Nov 2013 8:43 PM
Kim I would have ditched Gym class in a heartbeat if I could have and stayed happily in art class. Unfortunately not an option and I had to endue the the hell!! Lucky you to manage it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 10 Nov 2013 9:23 PM

Kim, I like your new avatar a lot!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 13 Nov 2013 12:45 PM

Alex, thanks very much!  BTW, Love yours too - very nice bold ptg.; and also like Geri's monochromatic new look. Will try to get to the current Chall. to page through the great new photos and submissions soon...can hear the pgs. calling. Torn between ptg. past Chall. first since there's at least one from each month I missed that I had wanted to paint, or starting from the current month and work back - assuming time allows at all. 

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,521
Points 24,405
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Mar 2014 10:50 PM

Last month I commented on someone's portrait work as being outstanding ( I think maybe it was Kim maybe not) and said I wish I could do that.  They told me I could I just needed to do it.  I thought she was right I will never learn if I don't try.  Well for what it is worth here it is. 9x12 WC on arches rough.  It looks better here than it really is.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 1:17 AM

Gerri, this is an excellent portrait for a first go. See you can do it. Now do some more and you will get better every time. All it takes is a desire and practice!! Her eyes are a bit uneven but they are not easy.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,430
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 7:24 AM

Geri, good for you in going for a portrait. I think this would be a difficult pose as well. As Jen mentioned her eye is a little off but everything else is good. Love those red/pink nails.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 678
Points 11,025
karend84 wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 9:50 AM

Geri good job on your first try.  For me watercolor would be a challenge for a portrait.  You took on a difficult pose.  I think the left eye being in shadow is challenging.  

Karen

C&Cs always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 570
Points 9,090
NealeyPea wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 7:45 PM

Geri ~ good for you for doing a portrait.  I like how you have nice bright color blocks - it's visually very interesting.  Nice job on the bow hand too.  Tho not exactly correct, I still like the lines.  As SAM said to me -" IT'S NOT A PHOTOGRAPH. IT'S ART."  Music

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nealey

It's not a photo, it's art.  ~ A Gal Named Sam

Page 35 of 35 (524 items) « First ...  < Previous  31 32 33 34 35 | RSS