watercolor critique

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
drawingzebra wrote
on 13 Jun 2013 6:19 PM

Hey Guys!

I've worked on this painting for some time.  It goes something like this..... I work on it, don't like it, so I put it away, a few weeks later I pic it up and do some more.  The shading is really getting me bogged down.  I would love some ideas.  I'm tempted to just leave it but I'm just not sure if it needs more.

Alana

Sorry, this image isn't the best.  First thing I've scanned on my new printer Smile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,980
Jay Babina wrote
on 21 Jun 2013 7:25 AM

Watercolor is sometimes described as the art form of learning what to do different next time.

I really don't like to critique and act like the big know-it-all but I think sometimes people don't grow if they never hear anything. You did a nice job rendering the helmet and you're on the right track. It is floating a bit and I question what it's sitting on with the fold in it? If it was mine, I would increase contrast and crop it. You can lift the highlight side a bit, darken the shadow side and give the helmet a real shadow which will ground it. I also lifted a few highlights on the hat structure and the red in front of the hat. If you do crop it, twist it counter counter clockwise a bit. I attache a photo I revised a bit in photoshop. Nice work. Watercolor is an easy medium to use but a tough one to master.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
drawingzebra wrote
on 21 Jun 2013 2:38 PM

Hi Jay Babina,

Thank you SO much for your help!!  I'm ALWAYS looking for critiques :D  I was wondering myself a little while ago if I needed to crop it a bit.   I'll work on those tips next time.   Thanks again for taking the time and helping me out :)

Alana

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS