Challenge # 32 - June 2013

This post has 587 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 13 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 727
Points 17,155
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Jun 2013 7:23 AM

Hello Alex

Very sorry to hear about Marsha's latest affliction.......can't send a get well soon card but my best wishes for a speedy recovery are on their way.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 727
Points 17,155
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Jun 2013 7:24 AM

Hello Bonnie,

much improved drawingYes

Sarah

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 727
Points 17,155
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Jun 2013 7:27 AM

Hello Fred,

You must be tired after laying all those bricks, 'it' has to be a nun as the male clerics wear tall hats     and nowadays they wear trainers on their feet.

Drew one at the airport!

Sarah

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 18 Jun 2013 3:15 PM

Hello, here is my attempt at one of the flower photos in this month's challenge. It's 3-1/2" x 2-1/2" and was painted on hot press 140 pound paper with WC pencils, to be given as a small gift with a mat. Criticism welcome.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 18 Jun 2013 3:42 PM

Hi all, Alex really beautiful, I'm not a flower painter, too difficult but I appreciate work like yours and Sarah that person or is it a bear is what you want it too be. Devil, Now to continue the story Bennie went searching for the friendly dragons mate that the earth humans separated him from in 1940, we will call him Gus and he said his mates name was Edith, Bennie locates Edith and attempts to communicate with her and he finds that she is as lonely as Gus and wants to reunite with him, the saga continues 11x14 watercolor

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 18 Jun 2013 3:54 PM

Fred, yours is beautiful! Aside from the sentiment of the story line, which I love, two things really strike me. The teal color of Edith's body looks glorious against the red rocks. And secondly, the landscape and Martian sky in this painting is particularly beautifully done. As always, Benny's gesture is so expressive ... One of entreaty, I would say.

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 18 Jun 2013 5:21 PM

Alex, your flower is beautiful.  I love the colors you used and the interesting way you layered them rendering a very 3D look. 

Fred, I agree with Alex  about how lovely the teal wings of the dragon look against that warm background.  She is like a jewel.  And I'm so impressed by the depth of Bennie's concern about other creatures.  He certainly is involved in a very meaningful good deed.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 18 Jun 2013 6:47 PM

Thanks so much, Sammy!

Alex

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 18 Jun 2013 8:33 PM

Fred, in the lower right quarter of the painting, it looks as though there is a face in the rocks ... By the way, did you see that my friend Crescent is now one of your followers of the Bennie and Ruthie adventures on FB?!

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Jun 2013 9:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments on my shell sketch. I think the extra definition and darkening the darks improved it.

Alex, your small painting is so nice, I like what you did with the blues and greens and your light and dark values. You managed to get a lot into a small painting.

Fred, you have done so well with the dragon in this new painting. As everyone has commented she takes center stage. Love her colours.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 19 Jun 2013 10:52 AM

Alex - This is so soft - it has a dreamy sort of feeling.  Blues, greens, yellows, oranges, reds -  all doing a serenity dance together.  I started playing with this one yesterday, but I quickly realized it was thinking "too big" - - I may just finish off the section I started with and then start over - - MUCH smaller!  The person who receives this gift is going to be so pleased and honored!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 19 Jun 2013 10:58 AM

Fred - Flowers may not be your favorite, but I remember several of them you have done - - and VERY well, I might add.  I just love these "cotton candy" hills and rocks.  Edith's contrasting colors with the background just make her pop right off the page and into my heart!  And, of course, Bennie is already  there.  The quest to bring Edith and Gus together - - oh, the suspense and the anticipated joy!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,365

Hummingbird with orange neck
medium- Acrylic on Hot pressed paper 20cm x40cm

Please like my Facebook Page to see my Art work:- http://www.facebook.com/ShameerKhanFineArtsPaintings

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 19 Jun 2013 6:39 PM

Bonnie and Holly, thank you so much for your very kind remarks! I'm grateful to you for your comments.

It is always gratifying how suddenly adding a mat or a frame seems to put a finishing touch on our work. When I matted this tiny piece, it took on a special allure that wasn't there when it was just on the block of WC paper.

Alex

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 19 Jun 2013 6:45 PM

Shameer, thank you for posting this lovely painting of the hummingbird. The effects you achieved with the acrylics are so interesting! The painting has a translucent watercolor appearance that is so difficult to get with acrylics. I love the way you painted the humingbird's wings - they appear to be rapidly fluttering, just the way they do in real life. 

Alex

Page 25 of 40 (588 items) « First ...  < Previous  23 24 25 26 27  Next >  ... Last » | RSS