Critique needed please

This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
hanmar wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 5:08 PM

Hi, I would really appreciate any advice, comments or criticism of my acrylic painting (the background is digital).  Many thanks.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,391
Points 44,370
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 23 Feb 2013 9:33 AM

Also very good.  Post your work on the "Member Art" gallery for all to see.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MaggieF@6 wrote
on 8 Mar 2013 6:13 PM

Lovely painting of the bird, but I think the background color is upstaging the star.  Perhaps you could glaze over the background color to change the saturation or value? 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 315
Points 5,485
Kim513 wrote
on 15 Apr 2013 9:30 PM

Great shading here - really nice. As good as the bird is, I am quite captivated by the branch detail. So many would overlook this, yet you packed lots of stunning color & value change, as well as awesome texture in this small area.

Agree about the color bkgrnd. being quite strong, but it seems esp. noticeable since it's solid. Wonder if a background that is not solid would enhance this. Somehing to consider.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
swannee173 wrote
on 26 Apr 2013 9:56 AM

Hi. Love this painting, but the background seems to take away from the subject. Too strong, and maybe too cold (if you know what I mean).  Too technical in realtion to the bird...  Very nice, though.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
hanmar wrote
on 17 May 2013 3:54 PM

Thank you very much everyone for the comments.  It is quite scary posting for critique but I'm really pleased with the comments about the painting and will definitely try softer, less solid, backgrounds.  Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS