Critique of pet portrait please

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
hanmar wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 4:51 PM

Hi,

I would really appreciate any comments and suggestions on how to improve my painting.

Thanks,

Hannah

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,508
Points 51,550
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 23 Feb 2013 9:29 AM

I like this.  The fur looks great to me and I like the blues in it.  Also good eyes and nose.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 24 Apr 2013 8:20 AM
The dog itself is SUPER. You can be proud of this one - excellent texture, color, detail - ALL good. Suggestions for next time: Move your subj. so it's not so close to the edge, making it look as if you barely could squeeze it in. By the time it's framed, it'll be too close. Perhaps your camera shot of your work cut off some foreground, but if not, can keep in mind. Also, ask yourself if so much background enhances or detracts from the focal pt.. It's a little hard to say here since if it was moved up, it may not have been not too much background - but something to check. Cropping would def. focus more on the subj.. Last, you did a great job "grounding" the dog with just enough shadow, so it's clear that it's laying down. However, you don't have any color or value change when it goes from foreground to background, so it does appear to be floating a bit..

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS