Challenge 28. February, 2013

This post has 323 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 6:10 AM

Joyce, the card you made for your sister is lovely, I'm sure she will love it. I really liked the setting with the little flowers and grasses. I agree with other comments that the water around the swan could have been a little darker to bring up the white swan. I think the card has a lovely sunny look to it and makes you feel happy.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 6:18 AM

Sarah, Biscuit and Bracken are wonderful, I'm sure it is a cherished painting. I especially like it because we had cocker spaniels at home when I was growing up. They folage surounding them is very well done and sets the pair off nicely. I have never used egg tempra although I've seen it used in magazines. I wonder does it give you more control of the wc paint by adding the egg yolk?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 6:34 AM

Your martini glass and flower are great Jean. I know how this was very challenging for me in watercolour. Your glass sparkles and your rose is lovely. Nice painting.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 6:45 AM

Jen, you can always make me smile. The chocolate cake is a real challenge. You did very well on the top portion, it looks good enough to eat. The bottom is a little messy but so is the cake in the photo. I also wonder what you used for the chocolate colour, I always have a problem getting a dark colour with wc. Good for you in trying this one.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 7:30 AM

Jen - I think your right the top portion looks great, right from the bakery. The middle too much chocolate (I would have to eat some of that before I placed it in between the layers of cake) . The lower layer of cake is something that definitely came out of my ovenEmbarrassed . But, all in all a good job. 

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 22 Feb 2013 9:03 AM

Jen, the top and bottom layers of this cake look good and cake-like.  But, the middle is confusing.  It's difficult to relate all that to a cake.  I can see that aluminun foil would be difficult to paint and you make a great attempt.  I'd like to see how one would cut slices in a cake like that!!!  Somehow, I think that the first attempt would render it into mush.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,848
Points 47,490
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 10:49 AM
Marsha, Bonnie, Jean, and Sammy, it is a mess for sure!! I put the reference in because it was so over the top and I thought you would have fun with it. I made the chocolate straight out of the tube with Burnt Umber. I used Reaves tube paints. You should all have a go at it and not be afraid I bet some of you neata more precise painters could do it!! Just jump in and try something you think you can't do and you will be surprised to find it will come out fine. Not everything has to be a work of art, push your comfort zone!! :) and yes sometimes you end up with messy chocolate cake! LOL

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone for all your comments on my sketches and snow scene. I am posting an attempt at charcoal drawing. I did it in a method taught in a very general art class that covered a lot of different media. You cover the entire surface with charcoal and then erase to bring out the picture. I have only done people once before in wc and find them very challenging and as you can tell usually avoid them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,848
Points 47,490
Turps245 wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 11:25 AM
Bonnie, well done this is not an easy reference and you have done a very creditable job. The method you used is challenging too. Did you use a kneaded eracer or your fingers to remove the charcoal? I think the girl facing us needs more head on our left. She looks a little lopsided other than that it is very good.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 11:41 AM

Hi Jen, I used a regular eraser for most of it and then used a kneading eraser for the finer details. I'll have to check out the head that could be because you get caught up in smaller details. They were so adorable in the photo and I'm not sure if the charcoal was the best medium they looked bright and happy and the charcoal is darker but there was a lot of dark in the photo with the background and shadows so thought it might work. I should add that I used my finger to rub the charcoal into the paper and it is 11x14 Canson Drawing paper.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 22 Feb 2013 1:30 PM

Bonnie, not only did you try a difficult reference photo but you tried a difficult method especially since you have little to no experience with portraits.  I think you did a really good job.  Yes, her face may be a little distorted but I am in awe of the hands.  Wow!  great job on those.  And her teeth are wonderful.  I like her eyes, neck and hair. 

I have a hard time commenting on his hair.  I don't plan to do a painting of Lucas until his mother gets his hair cut.  Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't like the long hair.  You did a good job with what you saw whether I like it or not.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,442
Points 23,170
Berkenstock wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 1:49 PM

Joyce very nice swan.  Like the others I think darker water would help it a lot but it is a very good picture .

Bonnie your charcoal portrait is very ice too.  I had a friend in college that did his charcoal drawings that way.  I am too messy to do it I would have to repaint the walls, put down new carpeting and who knows what all if I tried that.  You did do an exceptional job on the portraiture especially since you had only done it once before..

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 4:04 PM

Thank you Sam and Geri for you comments. I agree Sam, I think the hands are good. I did have a hard time with her face and first had it too long and now I think a little short. It is much more difficult than some people make it look. Will have to keep practicing. And yes Geri it is a little messy, I did wash my hands a lot and sometimes up to my elbows.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 4:32 PM

Bonnie,  wow.  How interesting,   yea, ok so the face is a bit askew,  the technique is amazing and as Sam said, the hands hair etc are all incredible.   wow!  ( I hope you cleaned your elbows as my mom would always say....)  and don't forget behind your ears.....  

I scratched my nose the other day while using a dark purple pastel and forgot I had done that, I went all day with a purple smudge on the top of my nose and cheek under my eye....  when I passed a mirror in the evening I was sooo embarrased,   I had been to the store the drugstore, and the deli.   no wonder everyone was staring at me....

Jean,   cute delicate card of the swan for your friend , I did have a hard time deciphering where the swan was to the water but maybe it was the photograph and it didn't pick up the waterline.   Its still a very nice little card.   your friend should enjoy it.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 5:22 PM

Thank you Marsha and I did my best at cleaning up but then you never know.

Page 18 of 22 (324 items) « First ...  < Previous  16 17 18 19 20  Next >  ... Last » | RSS