Challenge 28. February, 2013

This post has 323 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Feb 2013 9:41 AM

Jen, your Small One is coming along wonderfully. I really like the skin tone and highlights. I like the darker colour added to the left side background. Hair and features are great. His hand maybe needs a little more work but it is really close and not an easy position to do. You must be enjoying this one. Small One looks so happy with getting his taste of chocolate.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 17 Feb 2013 9:52 AM

Jen, the small one is looking great.   I like the flesh tones and hair very much and the eyes look great.  The background looks good now, too.  This is going to be treasured for a long, long time.  Love, it.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 17 Feb 2013 9:57 AM

Dave, it is always good to hear from you and to see your work.  Is this kingfisher painting in oil?  It looks a little like it could be pastel.  I like it.  The highlights on his back and bill give him pizazz.  The log looks nicely textured.  I can see that it is oil when I look at the log.   

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Feb 2013 12:23 PM

Dave, your kingfisher is very nicely done. I really like the blue you put in the bg. The bird is also good with the light on his back and the reflected shadows underneath. The post is very nice with all the texture. I enjoyed seeing an oil painting, I have never tried oil and your painting gives us a good example of what the piece looks like in oil. Great to see it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Feb 2013 3:37 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments on my winter sketches.

I seem to be stuck in the snow part of this challenge, here is a winter scene in the early morning with pink sky. This is a place across the road from me and is used seasonally now and is becoming grown up with shrubs and trees. The house seems to have a slight lean to it. Will have to do something to fix that. It is pastel 14" x 18" sueded paper.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 49,900
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Feb 2013 4:09 PM
Bonnie, the sky colours are just beautiful and set off the house and snowy ground just right. The house could be on a hill? The lay of the land is such that it could be.This is a lovely snow painting for the challenge, and as it is 70 here and I have all the windows open I don't even feel cold! You handle those pastels well. Keep them coming!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Feb 2013 4:50 PM

Thank you Jen, I didn't really do the photo justice but I wanted to give it a try. I am jealous of your weather. We started the day off at 10 F and our windows are definitely shut tight. The sun is shining though and my husband spent all day snowmachining, where as I just looked at it from the comforts of the house. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 17 Feb 2013 7:16 PM

Bonnie, what a beautiful sky.  The atmosphere is definitely that of a cold winter day.  In fact, snow appears to be falling.   The snow on the shrubs looks so realistic and I love the multiple colors of the shrubs. If I looked at this without any preliminary explanations, I would think that it is an old, abandoned house.  You have a number of "arrows" pointing the viewer into the painting.  One, is the fence posts at the far left which get progressively smaller as it moves toward the house.  Another is the snowy path or road that borders the fence posts.  Two white areas of snow in the foreground point in that direction.  The sky points out of the painting but you wisely placed two conifers to act as eye-stoppers. This is a delightful, well done painting.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 49,900
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 1:46 AM

Thanks for the nice words on the Small one, you are all probably sick of him by now! So here is something new. The two kiddies walking in the park. In my sketchbook 2b and 4b pencils.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 7:26 AM

Thank you Sam for your comments. I did spend time looking at the foreground of the ptg to see if it led the viewer into the center of interest. I didn't realize that the sky actual led out of the ptg but I can see now that it does. The bushes in front were a challenge and I ended up adding colour and that seemed to give them a little more definition.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 7:35 AM

I love your sketch Jen. They look so sweat walking hand in hand, your grandaughter taking care of her younger friend. I'm not sure how you accomplished it but your sketch brings out the different fabrics of their clothes. Your indication of the dress pattern, the lines on her legs indicate the tights etc. I also like that they are in the dark and headiing to the light, looks like they are off to the the playground. Very nice sketch.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 9:06 AM

You guys have been posting to fast for me to keep up  first Jen As always nice work then Dave with a very nice oil painting then Bonnie with anothergreat winter scene and then Jen with a very good sketch thank you all for your nice paintings

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,505
jm7445 wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 10:09 AM

Jen Thanks for hosting. Here is my composition I call "Friends". ,done in watercolors, 5x7  CP 140# Strathmore paper Framed with Fotosketcher. After looking at it for a while I could have darkened her hair more and their feet are wrong. Oh well, "PAINT AND LEARN'" Loved your photo Jen.

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 21,890
Hearadh wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 10:10 AM

I have cyclamen flowers in all sizes in my garden but this one is a miniature type and just beginning to show up against the snowdrops. How they survive underneath the snow is a miracle.

It is a small watercolour.

too late for the January Challenge!!!!

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 49,900
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 11:35 AM
Jean, this is a lovely water colour of the two children. My granddaughter loved those long over big dresses that made her look so old fashioned. The only kind she would wear! This is so bright and colourful. Those legs gave me trouble too. I like how you have made this your own and put them in the sunshine. The photo always reminded me of a Striderite shoe advert that used to be on the tubes when I was growing up. As a side note that dear little boy was very, very sick not long after this photo with a very bad kind of leukemia. It was touch and go for a while but after nine long months of chemo and side effects no child should have to endure he made it. He is now a healthy, bright, rambunctious seven year old!

Page 15 of 22 (324 items) « First ...  < Previous  13 14 15 16 17  Next >  ... Last » | RSS