Challenge 28. February, 2013

This post has 323 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 11:42 AM
Jim, looks like the beautiful jug of flowers is in imminent danger from two delightfully playful kittens!! Is that the original in the case? What a lovely collection. Fun painting, you have captured the poses of the cats really well and the flowers and jug are very well done too. Did you buy flowers for your wife? My Howard actually had a vase of yellow roses waiting for me this morning with a typed note saying " Once in forty years! " we never go mad gift giving so this was something. So I called and asked what he had been up to!!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 1:06 PM
BONNIE - Great softness for your kingfisher piece; the background is perfect for this - really makes your KF pop out too. I was also confused about the bird since the one I see from time to time is a Belted Kingfisher:
 http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/belted_kingfisher/id  (scroll for more pics in this link) When you mentioned there are a lot of types, I looked it up and was blown away by how many!

SAM - Did you use pointillism for the children too?  I def. see it for the remainder and it's very good. A creative take on this photo. I agree with you that a few darker darks in the background would enhance it since the boy's head and their clothes have some nice darks. It's worth adding since it's nicer than you think. I don't think anyone looks at shoes, (my excuse for wearing worn out favs.), but what you did is fine. Just love all the "greens" you have in the background and her hair is done so nicely in how the colors are applied too. I have "reddish-brown" hair, but always wanted redder hair like this (maybe not wishing quite as red as my avatar tho).

MARSHA / JEN - When I read Marsha's ref. to Harold in Jen's arms...had a chuckle, esp. since Jen was wondering what's up with the flowers from Howard - perhaps he should wonder what's up with Harold? (Marsha/ Jen, all in fun.) 

GERI - Interesting re. the robin.

JIM - You can Google Pointillism but one you'll want to check out is Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Seurat...we in the Chgo area are partial to this since it's in the Chgo. Art Inst., covering a whole wall. It's very cool to see the tiny dots of color up close and see them disappear, mixing the colors in one's eye, as you stand back.

JIM - How do you get so many positions & expressions of the kitties? Do you have these pals and just take lots of photos? From memory? Good job. Cropping out some background would help focus on your focal pt.. Really nice flowers. Your wife has good taste in collections.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 14 Feb 2013 4:33 PM

Jim, you are a master flower painter.  These are beautiful.  Your wife's collection of china, porcelain, etc., gives you quite a selection for paintings.  I like your selection and how wonderfully it is painted.  But, of course, these mischievous kittens may make short work of it.  The kittens are adorable.  Those eyes reach out and grab me.  This is a great painting.  I agree that it would be good to crop a little off the top.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 987
Points 14,360
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 4:41 PM

Jim, love your flowers, you always do such a nice job of them. I enjoy seeing your wife's collection with the vase you included. I think you have a curious cat and a scardy (not sure of this sp) cat. There will be trouble for sure. Well done.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 4:54 PM

Thank you Jen ,Kim Sam and Bonnie ,I have at least 50 pictures of cats mostly Francis who is sitting on my lap right now so I have a huge backlog of poses to work from my wife has about 200 cups plus vases and other stuff  I won't run out for 2oo years or forever whtchever comes first

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 6:14 PM

Bonnie - your kingfisher as an avatar is super!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 8:53 PM

Kim, Marsha, LOL maybe Harold inhabited Howard's body briefly and whispered in his ear buy flowers for Jen! Wink

Okay here is where I am today with Small One. I had a lovely long time today spent adjusting, and adjusting. It is still not quite him but close. Not sure about the background. there was a window behind where the lighter blue is and the photo was just black on the darker blue side. I am thinking of blending some of the darker blue into the lighter. Any thoughts obvious problems?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,665
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 9:09 PM

I hope you are not finished with his had.  It looks a little bony. Wink

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 9:12 PM

Gerri, No still got to work on his hand and the darn beater! it might be as good as it is going to get though!!Confused

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 987
Points 14,360
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 9:18 PM

Your Small One is coming along nicely, his colour is wonderful. I think I would bring some of the dark background to the other side but I'm the worst one to give advice on background. This is a great portrait of your Small One.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,475
Points 23,665
Berkenstock wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 9:25 PM

Jen I know better than that.  You always make a valid attempt  and normally do an excellent job (ellipses and eggs are not included in this discussionWink )

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 9:40 PM
Gerri bite your tongue! That beater has some elipsey feel to it!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 14 Feb 2013 9:50 PM

Oh, Jen, the small one is looking wonderful.  The skin tones are gorgeous. I love his hair, eyes, nose, neck - oh heck, I just love it.  Regarding the background, his light face and tee *** stand out more against the darker shades but I agree that you should bring some of the dark to the other side and/or vice versa.  This is turning our to be grand. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 9:54 PM

Oh, Jen I am so sorry,  I did mean Howard and I don't even know why I typed in Harold.   hmmmmm may it was the way you described....    I think Howard really does appreciate the painting and its his way of saying so.... how wonderfully sweet about the flowers.....  my husband made brownies for me....

I love the WIP of the Small One.   great eyes....  How old is he in this picture?

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 14 Feb 2013 10:20 PM
Sammy, thanks but I am still not sure about his top lip. I like the darker side too but as I say there was such a contrast in the photo. Won't get back to it until Saturday. MARSHA, no probs for some reason you are not the only one to call him Harold! You gotta wonder about this Harold chap! The photo of the Small One was taken last Christmas which would make him 6 1/2years old.

Page 13 of 22 (324 items) « First ...  < Previous  11 12 13 14 15  Next >  ... Last » | RSS