Challenge 28. February, 2013

This post has 323 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 10 Feb 2013 9:41 PM

This is my failed experiment for this evening.  I had an idea, tried it and blew it.  The closer swan's beak got out of shape.  Anyhow, if you are going to laugh, don't laugh loud enough for me to hear because my feelings will be hurt. Wink

This is about 4x5 with ink (Micron and Gelly Roll pens), some graphite (actually I just rubbed my dirty blending stump on it) and red colored pencil.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,750
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 11:18 PM

Sammy, Not laughing at all. the water looks very realistic and the swans look great. the only thing I might smile gently at is their beaks. Looks like they put on their lipstick and went on the town.:) Not sure I could manage jelly pens for these. Actually not really sure what Jelly pens are but their sound dificult! I guess they sound wobbly!

It seems we both had the same thought tonight as I did the swans too! I found a bit of slightly bent black canson paper and I dug out my CP's and came up with this. It was a challenge to get enough white on even with the white crayon but I think there is enough. It was fun playing with CP's I haven't used them in a while.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,380
Berkenstock wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 12:03 AM

Sammy I had trouble with the bill of the front swan too.  I like your water and its texture.

Jan I had the same problem getting my swans white enough.I FINALLY WENT WITH ACONT'E CRAYON  that seemed to work the best

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 11 Feb 2013 6:57 AM

Jen, what a nice swan painting.  You got plenty white enough with the crayons.  The water looks very good.  Just those few lines behind the birds and the reflections is all that was needed.  Very nice.

The Gelly Roll pens work just like any other.  I don't know why they are called gelly roll or why they are spelled with a "g."  The ink rolls on very easily and they were more black than the Micron pens.  Maybe it has something to do with something like gelaton.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 9:41 AM

Sam nothing wrong at all I like the water and the reflections the shade of red might be a little bright but thats all good painting

Jen your swans are great you took the minimalist approach on the water just right for your painting good work

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,750
Turps245 wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 7:51 PM

Made a bit more progress on the Small One today. I only had about an hour at art group today but did some on his eyes and nose. His  mouth is still not right and his left (our right eye is still not quite right) I think I need to lengthen the space between his nose and mouth and change the angle. I can see it more now it is up on the computer! Still adjusting values but some progress.

I thought you might (or might not) like a look at me at the art group space. We each have a space with table cupboards and drawers for our stuff and can go whenever we want. It's in an old Barracks. It's really nice.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 8:44 PM

Sarah, your water colour paint box ptg is very nice, love how it gives you all the colours. It must hold many wonderful memories of all your painting  trips.

Sam, I love your swans, the water looks shimmery and the swans look very white and very elegant.

Jen, the swirls in the water behind the swans makes them look like they have just arrived and they also look like they are talking to each other. They look good and there doens't seem to be any problem with enough white.  Your ptg of Small One is coming along nicely, I like what you have done. It's nice to see how you are developing this ptg and I love to see you in your work space. You must enjoy having a place to go and paint with other people.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 12 Feb 2013 8:37 AM

Jen, the portrait of the Small One is shaping up.  You are getting some excellent skin tones.  I enjoyed seeing your work space at the barracks.  It's great that you have storage space for your equipment.  It's always so nice to work where other artists are working.  Thanks for sharing this.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,380
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 12:36 PM

Jen you are Lucky to have a nice place to go and do your art.  I go to SICA (southern Indiana Center of the Arts) on Wed. and paint once a week.  I am the only male member of the painting group but it is nice to have others to do your art with.  We also have shows and other events at the center that makes it nice too.  I am going to bring up how you do your fund raiser and maybe we will be dong it too.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,750
Turps245 wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 1:42 PM
Sammy, Bonnie and Gerri, thanks . Yes it is a ideal place to paint and having the freedom to go whenever you want for as long as you want is really great. It is a wonderful use for these fine old buildings most of which are, sadly, just falling into disrepair and having to be pulled down.Gerri you are brave to share with a bunch of women!! Our ratio of men to women is about the same. We used to have a couple more men but they either moved or their health got too bad to come. I wish more men would come as they add new voices and ideas. I love painting with other artists and seeing and sharing ideas. Some in the group struggled at first without out lovely teacher, but everyone is finding their feet and realizing that she taught them more than they knew. She would be so happy for us and we feel her presence with us every day.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 2:08 PM

Sorry Jen I missed your post earlier I really like the way his eyes are done I don't see anything wrong before I read your comments I liked the eyes best I see you're working on your husbands painting at your painting site. I'm not lucky enough to have one near the closest is to take a course at one of the collages so mine is in our laundry room pantry combo

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 9:34 PM
 Catching up...hope I didn't forget anyone or anyone's piece. All inspirational art and a bit intimidating since the bar is set  high with these great results.

JEN - Good start on the sketch of your folks. That photo appealed to me too...will see what time allows - just fin. one from the Jan. chall. and want to do one more yet. Glass w/ rose: Beautiful softness here; esp. like the subtle background light drifting across it. Boy w/ ice cream: Eager to see the fin. results...really enjoy seeing stages of artwork. Gondola: Nice work on the gondola and contrast for it. Swans (you've been busy!): Great reflections and lovely work.
Art group space - wow, you're so lucky; enjoyed seeing you there too... like I was visiting there. That tablecloth is wild. I would love to have a local group...how far do you travel for your group?

BONNIE - I esp. like the pttns. for your zentangles that appear like lace for your hearts - just right.
Your glass w/ flower: lovely! Very detailed - colors great, and reflections believable. The background color is not my fav. part but it's not the color, it's more the plain aspect (just me tho). The flower's tightness - yes, but rejoice since it's what makes it so beautiful. You can do it diff. in another one if you prefer, but it sure works here.  Swan ptg: Love the rippled water w/ touches of blue by the swans - so nice! Winter scene: Gorgeous soft feel and color use - a beauty.

FRED - Easy? I don't think so; You managed snow effect on branches quite well! I would find this difficult.

MARSHA - Excellent rendition of Jen's folks, inc. your composition.

CATHERINE - Super texture on that cardinal (kidding, but serious about that text.)! Wonderful observations too for detail. Great dark darks in the bark...wondering if pushing a tad more dark in the head (eye esp.) would be something to consider - just a thought. Lovely and ready to frame.

GERI - Love the looseness of your kingfisher ptg.; the part 2 ptg. shows some def. improvements, making it striking; hope you frame it. Nice effect on the dk. paper for your swans.
(Just fin. the ptg. of Nate with his goat...will try to post tomorrow in Jan. thread - great fun.)

JIM - Your ptg. with the cats is a great one to start the Feb. challenge. Since there is a fancy porcelain vase, I expected to see a tea cup & saucer vs. a mug so it's unexpected, but the cats are so cute. Love their personalities coming through. The colors in the cats and detail on the vase, as well as the flowers are all quite lovely. Frogs/Fairy ptg: The warm background seems more Fall vs. Spring, but the subj. is very much Spring. The fairy's expression is contemplative; well done and a good one for your collection. Glass w/rose ptg: Some terriffic observations in your work! Could be you know your subj. well, but you also have a good artist's eye.

SAM - You captured the colorful birds' expressions very well...personality plus.
Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the zentangles. The orig. b/w focuses more on the pttn. and text. from it so that is quite striking. Swans: Great texture in ink - works well with the graphite, red is a fab. contrast. For me it's slightly confusing where the reflection starts/ bird ends, but it's a very nice work worth doing.

ALEX - Glass w/ olives: Fabulous job with an expressive style and rich background. Congrats on this! Hope you catch up in your consulting work, but if any clients complain, you could show them this and they'll forgive you; well worth your time.

SARAH - Thanks for sharing this love which we here share to some extent - though judging from your results, I think your love of ptg. is passionate. Wonderful ptg. of your paint pan with just right amt. of looseness. 

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 996
Points 14,495
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 13 Feb 2013 7:32 AM

Thank you Kim, nice to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing your ptg Geri's Grandson.

I've attempted the kingfisher. I have had to laugh at all the confusion about the kingfisher really being a kingfisher because when I first saw it I thought it was a mistake because it is not like our kingfisher at all. I realized from comments that it was a kingfisher so I looked up on the internet and discovered there are many different kingfishers, you learn something new everday. This is a pastel on suaded paper 7 X 9.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,750
Turps245 wrote
on 13 Feb 2013 9:53 AM
Bonnie, wow you did a beautiful job with those pastels. Not easy that small. I love the soft back ground colours, and good detail on the trunk too. His tail looks a bit unfinished but overall very nice. These birds to vary a lot from place to place. The English Robin is the size of a sparrow so I was rather surprised at how big they are her in America.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 13 Feb 2013 10:43 AM

Bonnie, this is a lovely rendition of the kingfisher.  I like the soft colors and the background.  The kingfisher is very nice and stately.  I'll have to try some of this paper.  I wonder if it is suede mat board?

Page 11 of 22 (324 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS