Challenge 28. February, 2013

This post has 323 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 987
Points 14,360
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 6:29 PM

Alex, nice martini glass ptg it looks very translusent. I like the olives and splash of red. Glad to hear you have your computer back.

Jim, also nice martini glass ptg. Your glass is great, very smooth glass look and ready to go, it must be 4:00 o'clock.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 987
Points 14,360
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 6:50 PM

Sam, Jen and Jim, thank you for your comments. I liked the colours as well but they are a little more intense in the photo than in the ptg. and I could do a little adjusting to the person. This pink colour is what our February mornings are like here. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 9 Feb 2013 6:50 PM

Jim, hmmmm. What a lovely custom and a lovely painting to commemorate it. There is something wonderfully pristine about your painting of the martini glass (and great that it has gin and vermouth in it!). You've really captured the elegance of the shape and proportions of the glass. As always, a beautiful flower. Very stylish! 

Bonnie, what a beautiful painting of the person on the snowy lane! So interesting that the paper was actually blue. I love the dominant color. On my screen it looks like a pinkish-brown and at the very top a hint of the blue comes through. The way the tall straight trees behind the dominant tree on the left are done provides a subtle and exquisite contrast to to the main tree. The painting also has the kind of softly diffused light with no hard shadows that you see sometimes on snowy days. Lovely!

Geri, I can't wait to see the rest of your self-portrait! The eye is very striking. Regarding your kingfisher, the stumps, foliage, and entire BG are beautiful. I'm not sure of the specifics but intuitively think you could (but 't have to!) deepen the jewel tones just slightly on the kingfisher himself. That may not be the right advice so don't go rushing off to do it!

Jim, talk about being caught in a compromising position! Froggie is in the soup now. Great expression on the fairy princess's face and - of course - lushly beautiful flowers ... Good grief! I knew that froggie was an operator but this takes it to a whole new level!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 9 Feb 2013 7:05 PM

Jen, your glass and rose are beautiful. The glass really sparkles! Wondering how you did that! The play of light on the back wall is a beautiful touch as well.

Bonnie, what a striking use of black and white in your swan painting. The touch of red is beautiful. Water looks white where light reflects of it, so you've captured it perfectly. Very dramatic.

Geri, your swans are beautiful. Although you mentioned you would have liked to do them on a smooth surface, the pebbly surface gives a very interesting effect.

Sam, your amorous avians are exquisite. I, too, prefer the black-and-white version, and the shading on them gives them a beauty that goes well beyond the beauty of the patterns. Wow.

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 9 Feb 2013 7:25 PM

Geri, I don't know what to say about "the eye."  It looks kind of sinister and I feel sure that you don't look quite like that.  However, it is an interesting study.

It appears that everybody else is into martinis.  Alex, you have such a free, expressive style that is so pleasing.  I love those olives.  They are so well contoured with such delicious colors.  The glass has the sparkle of glass.  This is quite an accomplishment for two hours.  Kudos to you! 

Jim, your 4:00 pm cocktail looks wonderful.  I like that you put liquid and an olive in the glass.  The sparkling glass is very well done and so is the rose.  You are a master of flowers and you applied your master's touch on that rose.  The leaves look good, too.  I like that you put a line across the back to indicate a table but you placed it so that it was broken by the leaves.  Excellent painting. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 9 Feb 2013 7:59 PM

Bonnie, Jim, and Sam, thank you for your comments on the martini glass with olives. After being without my laptop for 18 days, I am so behind in my consulting work. But I just couldn't go through the day without doing art. Carving out two hours was an extravagance and I can see how the painting would have benefited from more time (better proportions, etc.). The need to produce something artistic, however, was overwhelming! I know you all understand. Now to finish the work in progress from Geri's January photos!

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 8:24 PM
Alex nice work on the glass.I like the addition of olives. I think I needed the alcohol when I did mine!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 8:27 PM
Jim, Looks like a good habit! Excellent work on the glass and rose! Obviously alcohol is the way to go!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 8:40 PM

This is what I did alcohol free this afternoon. Dreary rainy day and on Saturday I am distracted a lot by people needing help in our group. So this is at the Ugly stage. It may never get passed that but I'm hoping! I put it in the challenge because it is about chocolate and the boy sure loves chocolate! This is my eldest grandson known by his Mum as the Small one but he actually the oldest of the boys now, but he is the small one in his house. It is a tricky angle and for some reasin this child is always hard for me. I don't think I have the tiltof his head quite right and his eyes need work as they are ofline. I will get him but it may not look like him. I probaly could have done with more paper or made him smaller! Oh well it's a challenge!

11x14 Uart pastel paper Various pastels and pencils

Sorry forgot to crop.!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 9 Feb 2013 9:52 PM

Jen, this is looking good for the initial blocking in stage.  He sure does have a long tongue and sharp shark-like teeth.  I know that you'll be working on that.    I like the way he is looking at us out of the corners of his eyes.  You already have the contours of the neck looking good.  I'll be looking to see the completion.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 11:37 PM

O M G   I got my olives with my martini,,,, hic.. hic..   I'm doin' just great nowwww!   hic...   I'lll have another....    how about an onion...  this time   hic....    

oh you guys,  this was so much fun to see the martini's with olives.l     Alex and Jim you are both so much fun.... and both of your pieces are excellent.....     with the gin and  vermouth still in the glass and with it already drank..l. hic.  

greaaa te    joobb.....!!! upob  yob,,, hic up....   duh..... job...  I love them both....

Jen,  your grandson the small one.   is I'm sure a work in progress...     flatten his tongue a bit  and lets look at the next addition.   I love the "I'm caught licking the beater" look     great idea for a portrait... 

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 12:34 AM
Thanks Sammy and Marsha> I hope I can get him right. Tonight just for fun I sketched this of the Gondala and put my own spin on it. They look like escapees from the 60's! The boat looke a bit strange too but it was fun. Hmm forgot to change font. Stay tuned!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 12:36 AM

Okay here you are. just for fun. A lot of drawing issues!

The punting guy got lost in the crease of the page but you get the idea!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 10 Feb 2013 2:46 AM

Jen, good job on two very ambitious pictures. You're not afraid to tackle subjects that are complex or have difficult angles! Although that looks like it could be a younger version of you in the gondola, it can't possibly be Howard - I just don't see him with a sixties-type beard! But I won't say a word!

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,910
Points 48,820
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 3:03 AM
Thanks Alex, It''s probably that I don't have enough sense to know my lmits.!! Hey it's just paper and pencil and I can but try. I thought if I had a go someone else would get inspired. LOL no Howard was never a long haired lover! I did have long straight dark hair though. Must have been the other guy! :)

Page 9 of 22 (324 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS