challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,266 Replies | 25 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 15 Apr 2013 5:46 AM

Fred I love your bears! The movement is great and they look so happy!

Yes, Sarah, I have a tendency to get lost in reading of why things do what they do and lose actual hands on time. I like the gouache and will try it again on another subject. My painting time is so limited because I work and have a house and yard to take care of that sometimes it's hard for me to just relax and paint.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,046
Points 22,405
Hearadh wrote
on 15 Apr 2013 11:00 AM

Hello Catherine,

been there so understand.......

I still have to find  'me time' to paint...... usually at week ends because I will only paint in daylight.  Now that I am 79 (today) it takes me much longer to do all the usual chores (I hate housework) and because I live in a village, and don't drive, a trip to the shops in town is very wearing and time consuming.

I leave my paints/brushes out on the kitchen table and  work beside the sink (plenty of clean water on tap so to speak) so that if I do have half an hour or so during the day I can paint if I want to.

Time to take the dog out now.

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 15 Apr 2013 11:13 AM

Happy Birthday Sarah! Enjoy your day!

Sarah I also leave all my brushes and paints on the kitchen table too! And for the same reason. I scrunch out an opening for my dinner plate etc. I also hate housework so I've told my daughters they have to give me at least two hours warning if they are coming over so I can clean the place up a little. I have a big drawing board and clamp light in the corner of my tiny living room along with, still life props, art supplies, books, stautes and have my drawings taped all over my walls.  I have a huge yard for my little terrier dog and when it's warm I just prop the back door open so she can run in and out and not interrupt me when I'm painting. The only drawback there is she drags in weird yard items and I get a few flies every so often but not a biggie really.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,410
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Apr 2013 2:15 PM
Sarah, " HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" hope your day was great! I am so lucky to have studio space at our art co-op with designated cupboard and drawer space as well as my own table. Also, my kitchen table is spread with stuff and I have pencils and pad by my chair for evening sketching. I really am spoilt and no I don't like housework much either!! I have a blitz every couple of weeks and just clean the kitchen and bathrooms regularly!!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,410
Turps245 wrote
on 15 Apr 2013 10:55 PM

Today I did this Iris. I had some trouble as I did a red orange underpainting which turned out to not be a good idea as the Iris was overwhelmed! So had to paint over most of it. It still needs some darks I think but I ran out of time.

6x6 uart with various pastels.

I know it looks like lots of white but there is actually no white just, pale green, pink , purple and blue!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,046
Points 22,405
Hearadh wrote
on 16 Apr 2013 1:34 AM

Hello Jen,

I had a pleasant birthday thank you..me and my dog... family celebrations were on Saturday from which I was still recovering yesterday.

The red/orange underpainting was just right (opposites), it still shows through in places and makes the blueness more blue. Define a few leaves and leave it at that!!!

Sarah

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,046
Points 22,405
Hearadh wrote
on 16 Apr 2013 1:49 AM

Hello Jen...one of my florals, Gladioli spike...you can see I have use violet/blue to contrast the yellow. I have used watercolours.

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,410
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Apr 2013 10:43 AM
Sarah, glad you had a good couple of birthday days. Thank you for the kind words on my Iris. That was the reason I did the contrasting background as you say compliments but it seemed to fight me. I love your yellow /purple example. You got it just right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 16 Apr 2013 6:44 PM

Jen, your iris is beautiful! I don't know enough about the theory of art (oh, heck, I don't know anything about it) to comment on the orange underpainting, but think your result is beautiful. The color of the iris really pops out from the mossy/rust background and the darker tones at the lower left provide a great contrast in values to the whites in the iris.

Fred, this combines all the best of your bear art - it's funny, it tells a story, the characters are so deftly drawn, and the movement of their bodies is so wonderfully portrayed. Bravo!

Catherine, this is one of my favorites from your series of studies. I can't explain the rationale for my opinion and art is so subjective, but I find this so attractive.

Sarah, a beautiful watercolor. The background is fascinating and I'm hoping to be able to mimic what you've done (imitation is the sincerest form ...)

Marsha, just watched the YouTube video of the "Sing, Sang, Sung" performance (your other art). Wow. There is just something so vibrant and urgent and full of motion about it. Wow. 

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 16 Apr 2013 7:45 PM

Catherine, I have to praise your diligence and determination.  Your seascape is looking very good and I'm so pleased that you feel that you are learning so much.  Kudos to you.

Jen, what a lovely iris.  The colors are beautiful and I think that your red-orange underpainting works well but, then, I don't know how much you struggled with it.  Your drawing is good.  I agree with Sarah that defining a few leaves would be nice.

Sarah, that dark purple background makes those daffodils pop.  I like that the flower stem is diagonal - always more dynamic.  Lovely painting. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,046
Points 22,405
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Apr 2013 7:04 AM

Thanks Jen...

Sam...oops...NOT daffodils...the flower  is a Galdioli from my own garden...thanks for commenting on it, appreciated

Sarah

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 17 Apr 2013 11:37 AM

Sorry, Sarah.  It's easy to see that they are gladiolas.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 17 Apr 2013 6:52 PM

Catherine you ask about how I was doing.  I am doing well We had our annual rendezvous last week end and that took a lot of my time to help get ready.  I put up one of my pictures as a prize on the blanket and one of the guys (who didn't win it) wants one too so I have my first commission.  Things are getting pretty springy here and clean up from the winter has taken some of my time and I just haven't done any art work.  I hope that that will change.  We have a new director at the Art Center and maybe things will go better.  There is a small show that I am going to take a couple of pictures to this week so we will see.  Nice of you to ask.

This is what I won at the rendezvous.  Everything on the blanket is hand made. Evan the candles

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Apr 2013 9:26 PM

I'm glad you're ok Geri.  It sounds like you have all sorts of neat things going on and that is good as between winter blues and trying to make our art it it can sometimes get to a person. It's neat you have a commision to do, maybe you can post the picture so we can see it too. The candle holder is interesting. Why is it shaped like that? I'm sure there has to be a reason for it's design. My mother used to read the Foxfire books when I was a young girl. They were about all sorts of ways to make everything under the sun for a home and farm.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,588
Points 25,565
Berkenstock wrote
on 17 Apr 2013 9:59 PM

I don't know why  the arm is on the diagonal but they were made both horizontal and diagonal.  It is a copy of an actual candlestick holder. They were put on a table beside a chair to be used as reading light. The arm could be screwed up or down to give the best light. 

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 69 of 218 (3267 items) « First ...  < Previous  67 68 69 70 71  Next >  ... Last » | RSS