This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 825
Points 18,880
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 12:54 PM

Hello Catherine,

Water is initially painted wet in wet...remember water is flat in your scene

colour depends on the sky and the reflections of anything in the area.

I use ultramarine, cobalt ,tiny touch of alizarin will give you violets if mixed with a blue.

To achieve darks add paynes grey or burnt umber. Any of the three colours mixed together in varying amounts with paynes grey will will give you interesting darks.

If you use transparent pigments you can 'lift' areas which need to be lightened.

I make colour patches at the side of my work (on the same paper) and write a note of what I used. 

Brushes are very personal..I use sables for w/colours. A rigger for drawing and a size eight round for the rest. I do like Chinese brushes too as they make lovely brush strokes.

Hope this helps and hasn't confused you. 

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 1:18 PM

Not wetting the entire area down first may have been the problem from the beginning. I have gone in and correct the shading in the bottom of the boat. I'm not going to post it again until I'm ok with the corrects when they are dry.

For some reason I stopped making color patches at the side or on a seperate piece of wc paper. I need to get back into doing that as it was very helpful. I do appreciate all your help Sarah and it all made sense to me. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,817
Points 46,885
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 1:27 PM
All these tiny paintings are amazing Sarah. Such detail in so small a format. Alex and Catherine too. Catherine am putting some pictures of various water scenes in the next challenge so keep practicing. Great examples Sarah.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 3:24 PM

Hi all,Big Brother is Watching an abstract of a drone 11x14 w/c

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 825
Points 18,880
Hearadh wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 3:33 PM

Hello Fred,

I can see more than Big Brother's face...Mr.Punch and a face with a handlebar moustache not to mention an eagle.......what have you been drinking!!!!!Devil

Smile

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 4:15 PM

Wow Fred! I love the colors and how well you've applied them but this is kinda scary!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 17 Mar 2013 4:33 PM

I thought that I could respond to postings here and on the Challenge thread quickly but there is too much and I need to get ready to go out.  Get back to you later.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 17 Mar 2013 4:52 PM

Fred, a very powerful piece of art.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,817
Points 46,885
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 6:00 PM
Provocative piece Fred. Scary on many levels.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 7:00 PM

Well, I pulled out some of the dark, added a tiny red reflection on the right and straightened up the bottom of the boat.  I supposed it didn't need to do that since it was a practice for the water but so no reason not to. I flattened the paper out too so that made a little improvement. My plan is to work on the riverwalk sketches and maybe by the end of the week I will be ready to start painting it! p.s. the left hand corner of this boat looks dirty because in the original picture it was dirty.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 17 Mar 2013 7:27 PM

Catherine, I like the subtle nuance of the gold reflection on the side of the boat!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 17 Mar 2013 7:52 PM

Sarah, I'm impressed that you can create such fine art on such small supports.  I like all of them. 

If I'm impressed with your ACEOs, I have to say WOW to the tiny mini of Aubrey.  It's incredible that you can paint a portrait that tiny.

Catherine, Fantastic little cherub and bird.  What beautiful and delicate colors.  It's a little treasure.

You water study is getting there.  Those darks that you painted are what make the whites pop.  And, yes, as Sarah said, the strokes become narrower as the recede.

Fred, your drone painting is so different from what you usually do.  There certainly are interesting textures and colors.  The face jumped out at me right away but if you keep looking, there are lots of different images.  Pretty neat.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 8:52 PM

Alex ...yes the little painting is a jewel and I am so glad I spent the money on it. I also like the golden reflectionn on the boat. I think that is what drew me to the demo lesson as I wanted to try that.

Sam...I'm going to go back in and try to narrow the waves that are closer to the boat. I'll post the redo tomorrow. I forgot about that even after Sarah said something the first time.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 18 Mar 2013 12:52 AM

WOW A LOT OF ACTIVITY......

Thanks for the comments regarding my sketches..

Jen your cut outs came out great,   I love that the biker is standing on the girls foot,  it adds character to the piece.   I hope you remember to take pictures of yourselves in it before they are carried away.... for ever.....   great job.  I'm glad I was able to contribute. I loved my poodle skirts and the 50's sock hops...

Fred,   how sweet Bernie is,   the little ones seem to really love him, they remind me a bit of smurfs,  My kids had a collection of them doing all sorts of things...   In the 80's I collected Alf Puppets...   Your Latest piece is great,  I lik those kind of things like laying on the grass and looking up at the clouds and finding critters roaming the skies.   but you are right it is definitely BIG BROTHER!  great colors  Alex is right very powerful.

Sarah, love the little ones.... of coarse they are beautifully done....   You are definitely an accomplished artist.Also good information you gave to Cath about painting water and using mixes to get the color you need,  that is what I do. another good paint to use is 'Neutral Tint" its a Holbein paint.   nice harbour scene as well.

I have only done one of these little pieces several years ago..  I will post next.

Cath,  your little cherub with the bird is lovely...   I like what you are doing with the water you are soooo diligent... good job.

ALEX: I posted the results of last night on the challenge post...  my mistake,  but go there and read it,,  quite a night to say the least.

Geri:  interesting information....  thanks

Sam, How is your piece coming along with the guitar?   

Now I will post my little one with a twist....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 18 Mar 2013 1:06 AM

Here is my little mini with a twist,  

Several years ago I was doing a LOT of needle work and needlepoint.  we made these tiny little flowers.   I then painted a little vase and set my little needle point flowers on to them,  the thread had a glisten to it.  I loved this little piece and framed it,  it is 2.25 x 3.25  set in a little stand alone frame.  this was before I decided to take up water colors.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Page 53 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  51 52 53 54 55  Next >  ... Last » | RSS