challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 11 Feb 2013 6:54 AM

Marsha, it didn't take you long to get the hang of pastels.  The water and rocks in this painting are excellent.  I like the drama in the sky, too.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 7:05 AM

Nice painting.  I just wish we were a little closer in so you could see the buildings better.  I find myself wondering what is going on up there.  Strawberries and bass sounds pretty good.  I am not to much on wine but to each their own.  Nice job.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 7:26 AM

Thank you Sam and Geri, 

Geri,  that is the mystery....   we were in a boat pretty far from where the house was.   this is just the way I remember it,   there was a house and some out buildings .   the livermore hills were golden and they had some stands of trees for wind breaks.   The Hetchy Hetchy is part of the San Francisco water system.   each resevoir had its own caretakers.   no public was really allowed on any of the properties unless you knew someone....  we were lucky that one time.    Oh there was some beer on the boat too.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 8:16 AM

Alas Marsha Doc said no more alcohol consumption so I have gave up the demon rum ( except for a cup or so of Merlot that might fall into my  chuck roast when I cook it.Wink)

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 9:26 AM

Great job on this Marsha, I think you have the learning curve under control,I'll try to do the same

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 10:28 AM
Marsha, you are really getting those pastels! I love the sky with all the movement and the colours you got in the lake. It sounds like a great day and one that really stuck in your memory.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 2:15 PM
JEN - Nice going on your sketch. I like the quick feel to this. My hat is off to you for taking this on to keep up your great drwg. skills.

LORE - Great shading/blending on your still life. The reflections were awesome as was the detail in the pot. A keeper. Your portrait of the boy with Jesus...words can't say how special it is. So glad you did this for the parents. Thanks for sharing that, even if a sad story behind it.

FRED - You pack a lot of personality into those bears. Enjoyed viewing your credit card experiment - what a good use for it (vs. shopping!). Would like to see you play around some more with this or other tech. just for an abstract (no mts., rivers, etc.). I think you'd have fun playing with color and tech. for a change. I like your water color tree that you inc. for your bear family. Good tree observations.

MARSHA - Some very nice colors w/in your grey abandoned home. The Hetchey Hetchey spot is dramatic. My fav. parts are the water and the subtle tones you've inc. in the middle ground rocky land which rises up out of the water. Great to preserve that memory.
GERI - Hope you share your self portrait here or let us know when you post it elsewhere. Great avatar. Good thing you gave up the drink - looking a bit tired lately. ;)

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 2:02 PM

Well since Thurs. is the big day I tried to to make the good wife a card.  It isn't my best work by a long shot.  I tried to make it like it was a doodle like you used to put on your notebook in school.  I had to do this while she was not around so that it would be a surprise and I should have given myself more time.  Here it is for what its worth.

It is 8 x 10 ink,watercolor, and charcoal on bristol and tissue paper

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 3:37 PM

Nice card Geri I'm sure she will love it . I received my Mungvo pastel's and Canson paper today and I combined the last 3 FB winter barn challenges and came up with this lot's of fun but I sure do have a lot to learn

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 3:50 PM

GERI - I agree with Fred, she'll love it! It's always more special to make a card. Your background could be from a zentangle.

FRED - Exciting that you are enjoying your new pastels and paper already. Like Christmas when that pkg. comes. You're going to town with your trees - nice. Some good perspective here. Besides having the black dwindle to less to show distance, you may think of adding some cool color as an aerial persp. technique - and possibly even try creating your own darks vs. the stock black since you're getting good at mixing.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 4:48 PM

Fred nice painting.  I love the softness of it almost like a watercolor.  The only advice I can offer is that your road is very interesting and your eye wants to follow it.  If it would have curved more to toward the barn your eye would follow the road to the barn making a more interesting composition.  You do a nice job with the pastels.  They are too messy for me.  I would have them on every thing in the house and every place else. nice job.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 5:00 PM

Fred,   glad to hear you got your pastels.   I see you used the rough side of the cranson.   Love the way you see your colors.   looks to me that its a very warm day,  the bear is standing in the only shade he can find.   the country dirt road goes on over the hill past one of the old stock barns going to the ranch house.        The only thing I can comment on  is the shadow on the road, it should be on the other side according to the shadows from the barn and the tree.   love the sky as usual.     The more you lay down the pastel, the easier it will be to smooth it out.  keep layering.      also, Sam uses color shapers and I got a couple of them they are very handy...  you can find them also in the sculpture area of the art store. 

Geri,  nice card....You have an eye on things....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 5:07 PM

I went to the Artist Guild Mixer last night, what a fun night and meeting sooooo many artists of all genres...about 80.  Everyone showing their art.    I won the door prize a $35.00 gift certificate to a local Art Store, I am jazzed....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 5:51 PM
Gerri, she will love it because you took the time to give something of yourself! Then she can always give you a poke in the eye if she gets mad at you sometime! Good job with all the background designs. You aught to try zentangles.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 5:58 PM
Fred, I like the feel of this one. I agree about the black you may want to loose that particular pastel or just save it for your bears as it deadens things and generally makes the most mess. Layering a blue and green or a red and purple will probably give you a better dark. With pastels it is all about layering. A lot of people use the smooth side of Canson to avoid the texture. It is a personal decision. You might try some sanded papers too. I am glad you are having fun though.

Page 30 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  28 29 30 31 32  Next >  ... Last » | RSS