challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,266 Replies | 25 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 9 Feb 2013 10:19 AM

Marsha, you're doing well with those pastels.  This bright painting sure is an attention grabber.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,395
Points 22,520
Berkenstock wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 10:40 AM

Marsha impressive to be asked to join the art guild.

Your old house must be in the same valley as Fred's two cabins.  Beautiful color.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 11:09 AM

Hi Marsha Nice work on this,question what do you mean by spray, Fixatif ? I also just purchased some Mungyo pastels Jerry's had a sale I just couldn't resist also bought some Canson Mi-Teintes pads, I expect delivery Mon. I hope I can do as well as you

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 12:19 PM

Playing with water and pastel I started out with a nice sky and was going to include some mountains and in the process using a credit card I  unintentionally created this creature

Fred

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 1:29 PM

Jen, Geri, Sam and Fred thank you all.  My sunset was inspired by my Las Vegas Sunsets here.

Fred,  I got some SpectraFix in a pump bottle from Dick Blick. Its a natural fixative fully non toxic , acid free and no odors.  you can use it indoors.  If you look it up, its workable and you can use it through out your work.   I used it before I finished and after it was done.   it didn't change the color at all.   It helps the powder from the pastels adhere.   I had a lot of powder because of the rough tooth of the 300 lb paper.  I won't be using that paper often if again at all.  the paper you just ordered has two sides to it a smooth and a textured  side.   for the piece I did with my grandson I used the textured side because I wanted that Texture in my bricks.   I think you would like the smooth side because of your card technique.  I love the Mungyo's, I got a few Rembrandt's and they seem to be very similar.  This is a whole new learning process for me as well.   I got a book by Alan Flattmann and It is very very informative.  remember DON"T BLOW...   I noticed the powder going into my air space,  I may want to find an air purifier.   I may also want to mount my Mi-Tientes and put on some Acrylic Ground for Pastels on it before I try another one.

Fred I love the newly found creature you discovered beneath the pastels...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 9 Feb 2013 2:55 PM

Catherine, the pencil drawing of the gourds is a lovely piece. I especially like the pottery at the back right. You so perfectly captured the curve and the textured depth of it, and got contrast between light and dark.

Fred, how great that you're sticking with the pastel pencils to get accustomed to working with them. My favorite of the two drawings you posted together is the top one because of all the vibrant color and the appearance of different kinds of strokes to lay the color on the paper. As for the other one, anything with bears is beary charming!

Fred, I love Bennie and Ruthie! It's interesting how you captured the delicacy of Ruthie's face compared to Bennie's as he leaves in his space shuttle for his next mission.

Jen, the sense of movement in the picture of the girl on her bike and her companion is very good and the difference in the size of the two people, with the girl slightly farther away from the viewer, is very well done.

Lore, your still life with the tomatoes and decorated pot is lovely, and the drawing of the little boy is very, very touching. What beautiful work! I hope to see more from you.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 9 Feb 2013 3:13 PM

Marsha, a very good rendering of the abandoned house. There are two parts of it that to me are so delicate and lovely - the unexpected purple colors in the middle distance and the slender golden grasses in the foreground. In addition, you captured the feeling of desolation perfectly.

Fred, in your "creature" picture, your colors are, as always, so beautiful. This painting is evocative of the parts of Montana where petrified dinosaurs can sometimes be seen in rocky outcrops. Very beautiful.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,723
Points 44,875
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 8:47 PM

Fred you sure do come across some interesting creatures when you paint! Looks rather dragon like!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 9 Feb 2013 9:47 PM

Fred, we'll have to name him.  You may not be able to reproduce him in the future.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 3:12 PM

Hi all , Thanks for the comments on my creature This one is from a tree challenge in another group on facebook but i added a bear family  11x14 watercolor

Fred

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 4:27 PM

For me Fred even if they are very nice paintings on their own  and this is the bears complete them

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 5:05 PM

Fred as lessons go..... all bears learn how to climb trees.   what a great picture of loving parents watching over their little worried cub with smiling encouragement .  again job will done and the tree bark is great.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,723
Points 44,875
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 7:54 PM
Fred, ahh I love this one. You have such a sweet baby bear climbing up the tree and Mum and Dad watching. You do such great body language and expressions on your bears. The tree is great too I particulary like how you have made the bark.another beautiful sky too.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 10 Feb 2013 9:35 PM

Fred, this bear cub climbing the tree painting is very pretty and well done.  As usual, the sky is lovely.  So is the tree and grasses.  What can I say about the bears?  They are just dear bears. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 4:05 AM

I did this tonight from memory of a place I remember,   It was a Hetchey Hetchey water resevoir  near Livermore, California in the 70's.  a friend of our ran it and we went out on a boat late in the day ate strawberries, drank wine and caught large mouth bass.  you could see the guys house in the distance.    I remember a storm coming in and we had to leave pretty quickly.  I never got to go back there and sadly I didn't have a camera.  This picture didn't show the puffy whites of the clouds.     This is 9x12 Stonehenge coated with Golden Ground for Pastel.  Mungyo soft pastels.  

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Page 29 of 218 (3267 items) « First ...  < Previous  27 28 29 30 31  Next >  ... Last » | RSS