challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 8 Feb 2013 9:23 AM

Jen, I hope doing this sketch relaxed you.  I like the jester, also.  You got some good values going there.  I know there are some who are not going to agree but the man's  legs are way too short.  Even when a person is wearing clothes, even jackets and coats, one can tell where the hips are and where the legs meet the body.  The legs should be 1/2 the total length of the body.  Otherwise, it's a very nice sketch.

Lore, it's been a long time.  Good to hear from you and see your work.  The basket of fruit looks real good.  You have good values on the fruit and pot. It's interest that the table top is so curved yet the objects are not rolling off.  Artistic license.  I ike the reflections of the fruit on the table.

How dear of you to do this drawing of your friend's son.  His little face is gorgeous and the folds in the fabric look great.  I can see why your friend cried.  It is very high key (light) and I hope that you are going to add some darker tones.  It's a beautiful drawing. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 11:17 AM

Sam   I did like you about a month ago and screwed my back up moving some heavy plant plots in the yard but I'm down to just an anoying ache now and then. It makes you realize you really not as young as you feel Big Smile Now Bennie gets restless and starts planning a new adventure here he's telling Ruthie not to worry 11x14 140# arches CP W/C

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 12:09 PM
Thanks Caterine and Sammy. Yes I know those legs are are off I reworked them several times but every time I put the front leg in. It didn't work! Maybe it is subconscious as several members of my family have long torsos and short legs!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 12:16 PM
Lore, glad you made it. The still life is great with all the fruit spilling out of the basket. Nice work on the pot and great elipses!! The beautifully tender drawing of the little boy and Jesus is just delightful. I am not surprised his grieving mother cried. You captured something very special.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 12:20 PM
Fred, no lifting heavy pots it is just asking for trouble. It is very annoying getting old sometimes.take care of yourself. I really like the vehicle you painted for Bennie's adventures. It looks very substantial and three diminutional. I hope it really is and he comes home safely to poor Ruthie!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 12:46 PM

Jen this is a nice little sketch.  I dont know if his legs are too short or the torso is too long.  The way some of the young people wear their pants now days it is hard to tell.Wink

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 12:54 PM

Lore glad to see you back.  Your little sketch book drawing is very nice.  Your other drawing is special in more ways than one.  His little eyes really grab you.  Like Sam I think some darker darks would have helped.  The foot thing don't worry about it.  I don't know of any one that has seen god paid any attention to his feet and they are the only ones that would know.  Keep up the good work.YesYes

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,450
Points 23,345
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Feb 2013 1:01 PM

Well I see that the bears are off on another adventure.  They can't be still for a moment.  On looking at your composition I think you have the point of the rocket and the mountain top too close together.  One or the other probably should have been over to the right and their hight should not be so close to being the same.  Keep up the good work Fred.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 12:37 AM

I have been SUPER busy with my jazz stuff,  but loving it.

Fred Your pastels are wonderful.   I like everything you do...  you always do it so well and imaginative.  your old tree is great as well all the new adventure for Bernie and I can see the sadness or worry on Ruthies face.  I see rocket boosters on the back but is he going to get a head start zooming down a steep hill onto the flats...  we have the flats here, dried up lake beds with high mountains all around them...  great job... and your little bear has been doing some exploring himself.  The Teaparty looked like a lot of fun even the tiny ones brought lighting...  the houses across the gord from one another I hope they live in an echo canyon,  they can say good morning and good night...

I have missed a lot. 

Jen how did your beautiful sunflowers do at the fundraiser? I hope Howard is hanging around the house somewhere...  I think we all love Howard....   hmmmmm  Your sketch was very nice,   I should try to draw the new look with the boxer shorts hanging out and the crotch down around the knees.   I love watching them going across the street and trying to hold a bag of groceries in one hand and their pants up in the other...

Cath,   your pumpkins and vessel are nicely done.   I think everyone already gave their opines..  I like them.

Lore:   havn't seen you in a while...  Lover the spilling out veggies.   nice values...

GERI:   my goodness BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING....... I JUST NOTICED YOUR NEW AVATAR.... WOW!

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 12:48 AM

I had some time today and was playing with my new Mungyo pastels.  I had an old piece of 300 lb Arches rough WC paper and had started the old building on it a long time ago in another challenge.   I mess up and tossed it.   today I brought it out to play with my new pastels and wasn't worried about wrecking anything special.  I played for a few hours and came up with this.   I call it "Leaning With Time".    that was the charm about the old shell of a house just leaning.   So, Like so many of us, we all tend to lean into the sunset.   So that is what I did. 11 x 15.  and I HAD to spray it because of the large tooth of the paper.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 1:01 AM
Marsha, glad that you popped in! In answer to your question about the sunflowers it is this weekend. However everyone pays ( I think) $100 for dinner and some musical entertainment then everyone is lined up in front of the wall of 5x5's and they all dash and grab their favourite and take it home. The paintings are not auctioned off they are the inducement along with dinner. I am asked back each year so I guess they get grabbed! I did about five one year because I was having fun, but I guess someone complained and now we all do one! It is a good way for local artists to be recognized and for artist to support their art centre.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 1:06 AM

Lore:  I just now saw the child with Jesus...  I am so moved by it.   I love that just his eyes are the most prominent.   I've heard it said that the eyes are the doorway to the soul or spirit.   It is fitting that everything is soft and spirit like except for the eyes of this adorable child.   It is dreamy like.   I love it.  

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 1:07 AM
Ahh the old house, we all had fun with this reference in an earlier challenges and it is good to see it get another life here. The sunset hills and great light in the foreground makes the old wood happy with it's warmth. Even in old age the right light can make a thing or person beautiful. It is really lovely. Well done Marsha you are doing great with those pastels!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 1:12 AM

How fun.   will you be attending as well?   kind of a meet and greet thing.

I was invited last week to join the Las Vegas Art Guild, so I will be going on Monday night for the first time. 

I will pop over to the February Challenge and see whats up....  I bet you have been busy.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,886
Points 48,325
Turps245 wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 2:01 AM
No I don't have $100 to spare!! Just spare paint!!

Page 28 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  26 27 28 29 30  Next >  ... Last » | RSS