challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,817
Points 46,885
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 11:09 AM
Thanks Alex and Sammy, I am glad you like it. I don't think Howard was too impressed!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,817
Points 46,885
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 11:15 AM
Kristina, good to see you here again. It's great that you are moved into your new home. I agree the unpacking stage seems to take forever but you will get there! How wonderful that you are getting a dog to help you. All that training will pay off too but I bet it is intense at the moment. I wouldn't worry about painting yet. It is hard to get inspired when you have so many things on your mind. Once you have you dog helping and your art room settled you will feel more like it. Just take one day and thing at a time. I am glad your family is encouraging you to stick with it. Hang in there! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 4:40 PM

Kristina - re getting started again on colored pencils etc - download an American artist video on colored pencil or acrylic from this site? Others might be able to recommend one. I know what you mean about forgetting how you did things, and a video can help.

NZJen

Comments and critiques welcome

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 8:11 PM

There was a video download/DVD from Artist Daily in my in box today about 'Colored pencil made easy' by Janie Gildow.

NZJen

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 3,900
kmbjbb wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 8:48 PM

Thanks for mentioning the video. I looked at the preview and thought about it. I will not benefit from the video as I am total deaf and they are not captioned. I will have to search for the books I have. I have both colored pencils, but also acrylic paints and watercolors.

Kristina-

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

C & C are always welcomed and appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 9:25 PM

HI kristina. Im sorry I didnt know that you wouldnt be able to her it. But I have a disability myself and understand a lot of things... Thank goodness for books. I've often thought they are the answer to most things. Good luck with finding your books and order returning  :-)

NZJen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,817
Points 46,885
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 10:27 PM
Sammy I am sorry you are having back trouble. There is nothing more miserable as I well know. Take care of yourself. Hope you will be back painting again soon. Hugs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 5 Feb 2013 11:17 PM

Kristina, it is so nice to hear from you. It sound as though you have A LOT going on, but I'm so glad you haven't abandoned your art. I miss you!

Sam, take care of yourself. Having back pain just knocks the stuffing out of a person - it is so debilitating.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 6:05 AM

This started as a daily quick sketch but I ended up taking it further. I've had these gourds since last fall. 9x12 on drawing paper using a graphite and Sanguine Conte pencil

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 7:36 AM

Catherine this is a nice drawing.  Is it on toned paper?  I think a couple of darker shadows where it recedes would help but you still have a nice drawing the way it is.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 7:52 AM

Thank you Geri.This is on drawing paper that is an off white when compared to say my sketch paper, but not really a toned color. When you say darker shadows where it recedes I'm not sure what that means. If you could be more specific I can go back in and add them.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 7 Feb 2013 8:34 AM

Catherine, this is a nice drawing of simple objects.  I like that the objects are all different sizes.  The perspective is correct in that we are looking down at the tops of all the objects.  I think that what Geri is talking is that we mold objects by darkening the far sides toward the back and highlight the front.  You did darken the gourds on the left and in between where they meet.  I like it.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 11:10 AM

Thank you Sam. I think, after looking at it a little more, that I'm going to go back in and darken the left hand shadow of the pot a little more. It almost seems that the dark pot and the gourds have to much of the same values in them. The pot is really a dark brown and it seems like it needs more darkness to it.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 7 Feb 2013 11:13 AM

Catherine, putting darks on a drawing always makes the lights pop.  Also, it gives more depth.  Let us see it again if you work on it more.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Feb 2013 11:50 AM

Catherin if you think of your drawing as being 3 dimensional like you were carving a relief sculpture.The part that you would cut the deepest on would be the darkest in the drawing.  That is if all the objects in the drawing are the same color and in that case you also have to take in to consideration of the value of the object.  Now if you were drawing something like a person with there arm lifted part way you know that the arm pit is farther back than the rest of the arm.  Now because of lighting say you don't see much of a shadow.  If you fudge a little and put a darker shadow even though you don't see it the arm will apear to protrude more.  Some times you just need to look at your picture and say boy that looks awful flat or gee that sure blends into the background and there is no shadow so to speak you need to invent some.  My king fisher is a god example.  I need to either add some darks to him (in case he is back lit) or the background to bring him forward  so that he stands out more.  This is something that will come to you more and more as you learn to draw or paint.  I wish I was able to explain this to you by voice instead of typing it.  Sometimes I don't make myself very clear. 

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 26 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  24 25 26 27 28  Next >  ... Last » | RSS