challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 10:32 PM
Alex, yes you got Howard in one!! Thanks for the good words.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Feb 2013 2:14 AM

Jen:  what a winner both of your last pieces are,  the Sunflowers are super and should do well at your function.

Howard is amazing.   the investment for a great frame for this piece will be worth it.   This is a really beautiful and powerful piece.   You have to be very proud of yourself for this one.   I'm proud of you.  for sure.   maybe add one tiny sparkle on the left eye.... or not...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Feb 2013 2:20 AM

Fred the Tree is dramatic,   I hope you enjoy the pastels as much as I think I will be doing.

Kim,   the avatar is a photo of my Tortie Cat, I wanted to introduce to Jim.  

Witness Blumpkin,   I really liked your pencil portraits,

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 3 Feb 2013 1:04 PM

Thank y'all for your kind comments on my pastel endeavors I'm still working on my Mars book This one is where Ruthie and Bennie visit the the little Martian Green family

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Feb 2013 1:08 PM
Marsha thanks. I was pleased with them. I think I need to look at Howard again and do some fine tuning. Maybe intensify the twinkle!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Feb 2013 1:12 PM
Fred, very dramatic! The little Mars men must really trust and like Ruthie and Benny to feel comfortable in their big bear hands. You have captured the tenderness of the bears well too. Cute little fellas!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,033
Points 46,115
on 3 Feb 2013 8:12 PM

Fred, so neat that Ruthie and Bennie are having tea (maybe green tea) with the Martian Green family. Ruthie and Bennie seem like the nicest kind of travelers - they are very respectful of local beings and customs. Yes

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 4 Feb 2013 6:33 PM
JEN - So glad you showed the other ptgs.. All very nice. I do like that you faded the table on the edge, so it doesn't seem like the main image was wrapped but rather an ext. of its surround. Good job.
I liked Jimmie's house - some expressive paint strokes & color...however, reminds me too much of our old farmhouse before we fixed it up; yikes. The next one (by Darr?) also had some expressive brushwork tho I felt the pink distracted from the birds, but some great texture there. The girl with basket - beautifully done with a quiet but uplifting mood. Again, all nice in their own way, but I have to admit that I would have jumped over chairs to get to yours -sorry, Sam ;). THANKS for sharing those! Really enjoyed viewing.

JEN - I LOVE Howard. Oh, you know what I mean. This is super. I hope Howard has a prominent place in your home. Again, you know what I mean!! (the ptg. -- HE already has a prom. place in your heart and home!) 

FRED - I think the bears may have had something stronger in their tea if they are seeing little green martians. On a ptg. note, at first I kept seeing these martians as floating up in the air & getting smaller as they went up. That's very interesting if they are. However, I later surmised that they are walking toward the little opening in the back and you are using size as a perspective tech., which is good. A little stronger shadow would ground them to confirm this. The rocks are very textural and I can almost feel the rocks' roughness. The bears prob. have plenty of padding though and don't complain.

ALEX - GLAD to see you back! Hope your comp. is all better.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Feb 2013 7:06 PM
Kim, laughing my head off but I know what you mean and thanks for the comments. I had visions of you leaping over chairs with Sammy in hot pursuit!! The Howard on seeing the painting for the first time tonight took it under the light and examined it carefully and said" is my face that long.?Am I that jowelly? Well I only see my face first thing in the morning and my eyes aren't in focus!" typical man! I may put it on the front door as a warning to anyone trying to sell anything!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Feb 2013 8:57 PM

Here is the latest Howard pic. Just did a bit of tidying on it. On WC I was told his mouth and nose were slightly off but I really didn't try and correct it. there was so much pastel and I didn't want to mess it up.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,033
Points 46,115
on 4 Feb 2013 9:05 PM

Jen, just beautiful! As for his mouth and nose being off, although I don't know him, this seems to be right to me - it all works together very well. A very attractive man!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Feb 2013 6:33 AM

Jen, great job on Howard.  I'm impressed with the beautiful flesh tones and you did well with the shadows on his face.  His hair is so convincing and well done.  His eyes are good.  I gets the feeling that he is looking right at me.  I'm so glad that you didn't try to do the plaid shirt perfectly.  I really like the suggestion of plaid.  It looks so artistic.  I love it.  Hope Howard does. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 3,900
kmbjbb wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 9:26 AM

Well - I am back again. So much has gone on that it's hard to keep up. I have tried to read all the posts on these 25 pages, but sadly I know I missed some.

To give a quick run-down on what's been going on. In November, we got to move into our new house. In December, we got 1 dog that is my daughter's. Buddy is a high-strung 6 year old Labrador retriever mixed male. In January, we got another dog from the shelter. Deacon is mine and will eventually be trained as a Hearing Assistance Dog. We have not been able to finish unpacking. I have way more things than I thought and one of my cabinets broke and another we lost the hardware for it. My whole arts & crafts area is still piled high with boxes. Luckily, it's all the holiday or the arts & crafts boxes. There are a few things about the house I am not happy with, but I can live with. I have to re-learn how to deal with drywall and have to buy these special "molly-anchors"  to be able to hang anything. Such a hassle.

There was a point that I was going to scale back on things as I have so much going on, but my family was not supportive of my thoughts. So, I will not be getting rid of my art supplies and such. I can't get to the painting things yet and I can't seem to find the colored pencils, but when I get them all together, then I will begin again. I feel as though I have to start back in the beginning stages and have been re-reading all the little lessons that Sam posted way back when. IF anyone has any ideas on how best to get back into acrylic painting and colored (Derwent) pencils, I would be happy. 

I do have a lot going on, with ASL class every weekend, training with the dog daily, but also with a trainer once a week and soon having a 2nd trainer come in as well. Then there is dealing with the new house, dealing with my mother and her dementia, 2 teenagers, 1 cat, 2 dogs and hubby who is now working 2 jobs. Oh, there's also the MIL next door. Can't forget her as I am still her driver.

Kristina-

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

C & C are always welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Feb 2013 10:48 AM

I had plans to start a new work today but am spending most of my time caring for my back.  I pulled something on Sunday morning and have been having a tough time with it.  I am using my electrodes to stimulate the muscles.  I am icing it often and I just did my stretching exercises very carefully and slowly.  Getting old is a pain in the a.....!  Well actually it's a pain just about everywhere!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Feb 2013 10:53 AM

Kristina, my you are busy.  Thank you for dropping in and letting us know how things are going with you.  I hate moving and being so disorganized but when it's all put together again, it will be worth it.  I'm thrilled that you have your own living quarters now and can do as you please.   It will be great to have a service dog to help you.  Once you get organized and find all your art supplies, we look forward to seeing more of your creations. 

Page 25 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  23 24 25 26 27  Next >  ... Last » | RSS